5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

How can Maxspeeds be the same spring as H&R?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 06:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

How can Maxspeeds be the same spring as H&R?

How can they be the same when the Maxspeed is linear and the H&R is progressive?

This question goes out to the people who swear they are the same spring...
Old 05-03-2006, 06:53 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

they are basically the same and they stand at the same height..as for been the same well I have Maxspeeds and I love them... great springs fo rthe price.....
Old 05-03-2006, 07:29 PM

I know when Irish did the definitive maxspeed vs H&R thread there were a few people who said they were the exact same spring and supposedly had some internal info but no one ever brought up the glaringly obvious point that one spring is progressive and the other isnt...

The fact that they have the same drop... really doesnt meen anything. Eibachs and H&R have a very similar drop and we all already know how different the ride is between those springs.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:38 PM
retired moderator

they're only "basically the same" for those who care about nothing except how they "look"
Old 05-03-2006, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
they're only "basically the same" for those who care about nothing except how they "look"

v
Old 05-04-2006, 12:10 PM

People will always find a comparison between something that cost nowhere near each other. How the hell can H&R cost 200.00 and maxspeeds cost 80.00 and they be the same spring.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:23 PM
Kevlo for President

Damn, I thought the 4th gen forum had the worst morons in it
Old 05-04-2006, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
they do. it's just some are upgrading to 5th gens.
Old 05-04-2006, 01:17 PM
Kevlo for President

Originally Posted by chr0nos
they do. it's just some are upgrading to 5th gens.

Good, you can have them all

Speaking of H&R's, it is a B!TCH to find some used...
Old 05-04-2006, 02:25 PM

Speaking of H&R's, it is a B!TCH to find some used...[/QUOTE]

I'll have some Progress Springs for sale SOON.....only used by my grandma to drive to church on sundays!!!

I'd love to find some used H&R's right now....I guess that says alot about how they ride?!

gr
Old 05-04-2006, 02:29 PM

whos the moron here? I sure hope you dont meen me
Old 05-04-2006, 03:08 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

Originally Posted by sciff5
I'm asking myself the same question...?

Irish, to me H&R and Maxspeed are the same springs.. no matter how progressive one is and how linear the other...... as for the looks it is basically "again" the same so why pay more... yuou ride on Maxspeed too....
Old 05-04-2006, 03:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lontar1

Irish, to me H&R and Maxspeed are the same springs.. no matter how progressive one is and how linear the other...... as for the looks it is basically "again" the same so why pay more... yuou ride on Maxspeed too....
Don't take it personal. Irish hasn't been getting any....

Linear or pregressive... There's also the inheirent spring rates to look into as well. I have maxspeeds on stock struts currently with D2's in my garage. The maxspeeds may be cheap linears, but they are pretty stiff ones and I don't have any problems with them. They are NOT the same spring, but with the right strut combo, they end up riding about the same. Very little difference unless you're autocrossing in your grocery getter. Besides, don't listen to Irish: last time we autocrossed I beat him (and it was my first time out....).

j/k Irish. Don't get all "you weren't in the right class" on me....
Old 05-04-2006, 03:43 PM

[QUOTE=GBAUER]Don't take it personal. Irish hasn't been getting any....
Linear or pregressive... There's also the inheirent spring rates to look into as well. I have maxspeeds on stock struts currently with D2's in my garage. The maxspeeds may be cheap linears, but they are pretty stiff ones and I don't have any problems with them. They are NOT the same spring, but with the right strut combo, they end up riding about the same. Very little difference unless you're autocrossing in your grocery getter. Besides, don't listen to Irish: last time we autocrossed I beat him (and it was my first time out....).

Okay - so I HAVE to ask: have you had H&R's in your car, or are you basing this response on riding in Irish's car??

Just curious. I'm now somewhat torn on which of these two springs to buy to replace my progress.

gr
Old 05-04-2006, 03:53 PM

How progressive or linear a spring is makes a HUGE difference.. They arent the same spring, they arent even close so I am still waiting for the people who suppsoedly had inside knowledge on the H&R maxspeed debate on how they care to explain this
Old 05-04-2006, 04:15 PM
Kevlo for President

I am talking about the people who think they are the same spring.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:17 PM
Driving is the next best thing

How progressive or linear a spring is makes a HUGE difference.. They arent the same spring, they arent even close so I am still waiting for the people who suppsoedly had inside knowledge on the H&R maxspeed debate on how they care to explain this
perhaps we could somehow contact this guy, and find out why he's saying this:
Originally Posted by mingo in "The DEFINITIVE Maxspeed vs. H&R Thread"
i'm not sure if anyone mentioned this already, but maxspeed springs have the same specs as h&r's golden apple (the paper name of maxspeed) used to be the distributor for h&r. and they decided to just make their own springs and sell those. my friend's uncle owns golden apple, and he used my car to prototype the springs and that's what was said to me. =D.

Even the drop looks different, how the hell can they be the same?
Old 05-04-2006, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by DrKlop
perhaps we could somehow contact this guy, and find out why he's saying this:

Even the drop looks different, how the hell can they be the same?

thank you thats the guy I was talking about.... jeesh it never seemed to occur to anyone that this guy was full of **** when he said it. I didnt even question it for some reason I just accepted it as truth mindlessly and then I started thinking about it and I was like hold on that cant be true... there is deff some mis-information floating around
Old 05-04-2006, 04:24 PM
Kevlo for President

Physically:
Linear springs are the same distance apart from coil to coil.
Progressive rate springs, the end coils are closer together.

Just because they have the same drop, it doesn't mean ****.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:47 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

I am talking about the people who think they are the same spring.
are you calling me Moron? cause I am the only one who think this way.... if that's the case.. well you should know from experience....
Old 05-04-2006, 04:52 PM
Kevlo for President

Well then, a spring is a spring is a spring

I guess all HID bulbs are the same if the "look" the same.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:24 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

Well then, a spring is a spring is a spring

I guess all HID bulbs are the same if the "look" the same.
maybe they are.....
Old 05-04-2006, 05:45 PM

are you calling me Moron? cause I am the only one who think this way.... if that's the case.. well you should know from experience....

well it was a stupid comment. and yes you are the only one who thinks that way...

why dont you cut your stock springs about an inch and a half. That way it will ride at the same height as H&Rs and then come back here and try to tell me your f'ed up chopped stock springs are the same as H&Rs because they're the same ride height. see how people respond to that
Old 05-04-2006, 05:50 PM
Kevlo for President

Ohio State fan that lives in Florida, explains it all. No need to argue with ignorance.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:51 PM

Btw no one has really said anything yet to support or counter my point that maxspeed and H&R are not the same spring, not even close. I just hope (even if we dont get any resolution on where all that false info came from) that lots of people see this thread so that the whole idea that maxspeed and H&Rs are the same can be forgotten.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:52 PM
Kevlo for President

Find spring rates. I already stated the visual difference between the two types of springs.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:55 PM

Ohio State fan that lives in Florida, explains it all. No need to argue with ignorance.

I actually felt that the "Peurto Rico - Maxima Lover" in his signature/avatar (whatever the hell that thing is callled) explained it better
Old 05-04-2006, 05:57 PM

Everyone seems to ignore my comment. There's at least one obvious reason why they are not the same:
The drop is DIFFERENT
Old 05-04-2006, 05:59 PM
Kevlo for President

Everyone seems to ignore my comment. There's at least one obvious reason why they are not the same:
The drop is DIFFERENT

That too

/thread
Old 05-04-2006, 06:00 PM

Find spring rates. I already stated the visual difference between the two types of springs.

well spring rates wouldent matter anyway as they would deff be different. Because H&R would have a range of spring rates (because as we all know the spring rate increases as the spring is compressed) and the maxspeeds would have a set spring rate because they are linear (same spring rate no matter how much or how little they are compressed) I am not telling you this Kevlo as I know you already know this crap but for the noobz this might be helpful.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:03 PM

The drop is DIFFERENT

Another good point, which I forgot you had mentioned and its true.

DrKlop you and me always seem to be on the same page when it comes to thoughts about suspension.
You figure out what springs your gonna get yet or are you still deciding?
Old 05-04-2006, 06:17 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

I actually felt that the "Peurto Rico - Maxima Lover" in his signature/avatar (whatever the hell that thing is callled) explained it better
I went to Ohio State and was born in Puerto Rico.. if you don't know what Puerto Rico is well you should read a history book and then talk about it. Let's don't get personal here cause you are going the wrong way...... so stick to the point about the springs and don't get personal on where people are from.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:19 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

no ignorance too cold for my taste....
Old 05-04-2006, 07:05 PM
retired moderator

just to clarify, since a few people are thinking I had H&R's (I didn't). I had Maxspeeds, which are MOST DEFINITELY linear springs. I currently have Tein H-Techs (as of last week) which MOST DEFINITELY are progressive rate. It is EXTREMELY easy to tell the difference between a linear spring and a progressive spring. They have different handling and ride characteristics.....
Old 05-04-2006, 07:17 PM

DrKlop you and me always seem to be on the same page when it comes to thoughts about suspension.
You figure out what springs your gonna get yet or are you still deciding?
Well, after reading different reviews I came to conclusion that I will not buy any progressive rate springs. So it will most likely be Boss Chan. If Boss Chan will turn out to be too stiff, I will try Maxspeeds with Illuminas and OEM with Illiminas.

Why not progressive? Progressive springs behave differently depending on the load, which means the car will also handling differently depending on many conditions. It will become not as predictable and most importantly it will be more difficult to determine the turn-in speed. Not to mention, the car will end up having different handling characteristics in the dry and wet. Finally, it makes it hard to properly tune your shocks.

It does not necessarily mean that progressive springs suck. They are great for what they are: springs that are relatively soft, provide sporty feeling in the corners, safer for those who don't purposely reach traction limits, and also make the car look better. Since I do enjoy taking my car to its limits from time to time (even more than I enjoy its sporty feeling), I decided that progressive springs are not for me.

However........., here comes the sad part, I will have to wait even longer before I lower my car. My stock potenzas look more and more like racing slicks and have recently become unbearable in the wet. So this week I will be ordering a new set of tires with rims (since i always wanted a little wider & lighter rims) instead.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:25 PM
retired moderator

Why not progressive? Progressive springs behave differently depending on the load, which means the car will also handling differently depending on many conditions. It will become not as predictable and most importantly it will be more difficult to determine the turn-in speed. Not to mention, the car will end up having different handling characteristics in the dry and wet. Finally, it makes it hard to properly tune your shocks.

It does not necessarily mean that progressive springs suck. They are great for what they are: springs that are relatively soft, provide sporty feeling in the corners, safer for those who don't purposely reach traction limits, and also make the car look better. Since I do enjoy taking my car to its limits from time to time (even more than I enjoy its sporty feeling), I decided that progressive springs are not for me.
Precisely...the H-techs now on my car....LOVE the ride quality, a huge step-up over the bone-jarring Maxspeeds, but the handling is just not predictable at all, especially when the weather changes (cold/warm) and the strut dampening is affected...