5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Summary of Dyno Runs with Various Mods

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2001, 06:17 AM

Here is a summary of dyno runs for a 2k Maxima SE 5 speed with various mods.

Run 001 is bone stock, Run 003 is also stock, but with the airfilter tray removed and a fan blowing on the resulting airbox opening, Run 006 is with the Cattman Y-pipe and CAI.

Each of the runs has a "blip" as the engine hits redline which causes a small increase in the reported peak power figure. )The dyno shows this same spike on every single run that is taken to redline.) Id say athe true "peak" power is about 2-3 hp lower.
Old 06-17-2001, 02:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

thx for the info

Originally posted by madmax2k

Run 001 is bone stock, Run 003 is also stock, but with the airfilter tray removed and a fan blowing on the resulting airbox opening, Run 006 is with the Cattman Y-pipe and CAI.

Each of the runs has a "blip" as the engine hits redline which causes a small increase in the reported peak power figure. )The dyno shows this same spike on every single run that is taken to redline.) Id say athe true "peak" power is about 2-3 hp lower.
Old 06-17-2001, 03:33 PM

More dyno runs

I just took 3 runs today and I found something interesting. Why does the car make more horsepower as the engine gets hotter. After the O2 sensors go into closed loop the fuel trims are set and unless there is a failure, there should be no more tuning for the fuel. The nissan PCM only looks at the air temp and density once when starting the car. I also noticed that my car was running around 11.02 A/f ratio, so pretty rich for my taste. I need to see about fuel pressure regulator to even that all out. I have heard that a closer 14/1 ratio would bump it up 10-12 horse.

By the way I dyno at 203.9 and 190.4. I have just the y-pipe with a goofy rigged induction system. I did rewire the air temp sensor just in front of the radiator to fool the PCM. Maybe thats why it is running rich?

Thoughts?
Old 06-17-2001, 04:40 PM

that seems odd ... the Y & Cai add less than 4hp over stock with the airfilter removed? what a waste of $$ then!
Old 06-17-2001, 05:51 PM
PhatGuy

I wonder how a stock airbox without filter and Y-pipe would rate?

Originally posted by ohboiya

that seems odd ... the Y & Cai add less than 4hp over stock with the airfilter removed? what a waste of $$ then!

Old 06-17-2001, 08:33 PM

Originally posted by ohboiya

Not really.

Unless you plan on driving around without an air filter all day and have your hood open with a big fan blowing on the hole in the airbox

That test was purely informative for me to see if there were any gains to be found in changing the intake setup. Since a gain was seen (even though it was impractical) I knew that the stock intake setup could be improved.
Old 06-17-2001, 08:36 PM

Re: More dyno runs

Originally posted by Foglght
I just took 3 runs today and I found something interesting. Why does the car make more horsepower as the engine gets hotter.
If you ran the car dead cold, it will make less power. If its smoking hot, you will lose some, mostly in the midrange. Ive noticed this behavior on the dyno and on the track. So the best bet, and most consistent method, is to run the car when its warm. If the coolant temp isnt even registering on the gauge, my car runs slow.
Old 06-17-2001, 09:27 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

So a Y-pipe and CAI is pretty much meaningless on the 5th gen? Wow!!! Overall, you gained about 4hp over using a modded airbox. Either you've got a factory freak or that dyno wasn't tuned right the first time you ran. You are making over 10fwhp more than Russ' stock 2001 and nearly 20fwhp more with the modded intake box. Something isn't adding up right. Unless Russ' Cali-spec Max is just a slug. He ran a 15.3@91 and you are running 14.3s. Somethings messed up.

Dave
Old 06-17-2001, 09:36 PM

Holy crap!! Your running 14.3s???? You must be the fastest N/A lightly modded Max!!! Was that will slicks or street tires?
Old 06-17-2001, 10:22 PM
PhatGuy

Lesson I learned

This info is very informative. The way I look at it is if you have a CAI (PR or the new Cattman) and a Y-Pipe you are going to have amazing gains! These gains cannot be seen on a Dyno since the PR CAI is only effective while the car is moving. A Pop intake will help but damn the PR CAI is the way to go for sure! Cool conditions...PR CAI....Y-Pipe...optimal performance! His fan/no filter thing shows how effective the PR CAI would be let alone in conjuction with a Y-Pipe! Dynos simply won't show big gains from hiflow, oscai or CAI (basic 4-6hp). True HP would be a lot higher with a good OSCAI or CAI while the car is in motion.

Old 06-17-2001, 10:49 PM

we have to remember that Russ's is Cali spec,

and Madmax is Fed-spec.

It is obvious that the Fed-spec makes substantially more power. As Desert Pearl proved it, I say the difference between Fed and Cali spec is the ecu. Remember, Desert didn't gain much by removing the front precat. It is the ecu. Maybe someone shuld do an ecu swap and find out.
Old 06-18-2001, 04:00 AM

Yes - the richness is likely from moving the air temp sensor. Possibly the high horsepower too - most production engines will make more power on the rich side than on the lean - I suspect the extra fuel compensates for other inefficiencies.

Dave
Old 06-18-2001, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by Dave B
So a Y-pipe and CAI is pretty much meaningless on the 5th gen? Wow!!! Overall, you gained about 4hp over using a modded airbox. Either you've got a factory freak or that dyno wasn't tuned right the first time you ran. You are making over 10fwhp more than Russ' stock 2001 and nearly 20fwhp more with the modded intake box. Something isn't adding up right. Unless Russ' Cali-spec Max is just a slug. He ran a 15.3@91 and you are running 14.3s. Somethings messed up.

Dave
Madmax2k and I both dyno'd our nearly identical 2k fed spec SE 5spd and got almost dead-on numbers. Having said that, he will freely admit that the dyno plots above have a "spike" at the end inflating the numbers. Still, we are talking 204 to the wheels.

When we dyno'd a cali-spec 5spd 2k also dyno'd and he was about the same as us with his y and si mods (He also had heavy wheels otherwise he would have been higher). So no surprise on Russ.

As for the times, Larry can drive. His 60ft is 1/10 faster than yours and he ran 3 mph faster. I think that easily translates into the 3.5/10 diff between you. Of course, I gotta say that he ran that 14.38 under ideal conditions - wish I could run that fast.

Believe me, there is nothing messed up.
Old 06-19-2001, 03:38 PM

Does anybody actually know (that really knows for sure) if having heavier wheels on your car would skew dyno results. I just bought some Konig Imagines in 18" form. They are 29 pounds just with the metal, not tires. So, you would be effectively saying that since i dyno @204 with the heavies, than i should see a neat gain with my orig. 16" 5stars?

If you really don't know for sure, don't reply please.

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 06-19-2001, 04:52 PM
RussMaxManiac

I am working on getting my car redynoed down here probably in a few weeks when I got the funds again. We will see what she does, but my max is defintely no slug, just the driver can't take off the line worth a crap!

Originally posted by Dave B

Dave

Old 06-19-2001, 04:55 PM
RussMaxManiac

Re: we have to remember that Russ's is Cali spec,

Alot more power? I think it is very minimal difference between a Fed and a Cali personally.....I just suck at the track for driving..

Originally posted by ArcticMax
and Madmax is Fed-spec.

It is obvious that the Fed-spec makes substantially more power. As Desert Pearl proved it, I say the difference between Fed and Cali spec is the ecu. Remember, Desert didn't gain much by removing the front precat. It is the ecu. Maybe someone shuld do an ecu swap and find out.

Old 06-19-2001, 07:05 PM

What gear did you dyno for those results?

Old 06-19-2001, 09:26 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by Max_Gator

As for the times, Larry can drive. His 60ft is 1/10 faster than yours and he ran 3 mph faster. I think that easily translates into the 3.5/10 diff between you. Of course, I gotta say that he ran that 14.38 under ideal conditions - wish I could run that fast.

Believe me, there is nothing messed up.
I've got no doubts Larry can drive. His 14.38 is AWESOME regardless of conditions. I think I could come close to his et, but not his trap speed. My 4th gen just can't breath like that......yet

Dave
Old 06-19-2001, 09:35 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac
I am working on getting my car redynoed down here probably in a few weeks when I got the funds again. We will see what she does, but my max is defintely no slug, just the driver can't take off the line worth a crap!

Russ-

I'm not trying to "dog" your car and I know your 60 foots aren't great, but I would have thought your trap speeds would have been much higher since you've got a 5th gen 5 speed. 91mph in 1/4 is on the low side. I've run a ton of 15.1-15.3@94mph in the heat. I would have figured you would have been running atleast 93mph. Maybe it's your track? You should try running at HRP Raceway. I know it's a 3 hour drive, BUT it's one of the fastest tracks in the nation. My track sucks and I plan on driving 1 hour to Topeka and running at Heartland Park (another very fast track). Believe me Russ, most of the quicker guys on this board are running on coastal tracks which are typically quicker. Use it to your advantage.

Dave
Old 06-20-2001, 11:38 PM

russ, come to houston and we'll meet up and run at hrp.