5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Tein H-Techs: Further Rant

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 02:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

a max owner i know had htechs and swapped them out the same week he installed them because of the same "bottoming out" issues you are talking about. it's actually what made me go for coilovers over shocks/springs... some of the freeways here are absolutely TERRIBLE and have sudden drops and bumps. going 80mph or so, i can only imagine what it would be like with a shock/spring combo... as tough as the ride is, these ***** will never bottom out
Old 05-14-2006, 05:48 PM
retired moderator

update:

now with the lower balljoints and tie rod ends replaced, and camber set out to negative 1.5 degrees, the car handles much better with the H-techs. I am still unhappy, though, with the fact that they bottom out like a b1otch, particularly the fronts. I think alot of the sloppiness in handling is in the rear now....I may try the Maxspeed rears (with one of the dead coils cut, to drop it down just a bit) with the H-tech fronts and see where that gets me.

Still not sure why the fronts are bottoming.....bump stops are cut and illuminas at stiffest setting
Old 05-15-2006, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by irish44j
update:

Still not sure why the fronts are bottoming.....bump stops are cut and illuminas at stiffest setting
For me - long-term, I could defintely see replacing the tie-rods and balljoints up front....the whole front susp. just feels and sounds sloppy over anything but perfect pavement.

Irish -- I turned my Illuminas DOWN to 1/2 and it reduced some of the excessive bottoming - it does make the front feel a tad loose and slopy yet again, however.

gr
Old 05-15-2006, 09:29 AM

Irish...so the Maxspeeds are better? I was planning on changing my S-Techs to H-Techs, and this changed my mind. How good are those Maxspeeds?
Old 05-15-2006, 12:35 PM

I turned the Illumina's down a little - 2/2 now - and it almost makes it feel like the old boat it used to be. The front rolls WAY to much in any turn.

I'm having trouble grasping the idea that it's any single piece of the combo that's causing the problem. I think that the following issues are all part of the problem:
1) The Illumina's are a little weak - maybe the rebound is the problem
2) The springs are a little weak
3) The addition of the rear sway bar created a little too much oversteer - need beefier front sway bar to maintain a good balance

If I set the Illumina's to 5 in the front and push down on the car with my hands, it feels a lot softer than it should. It bounces a lot more than what I'd expect from performance springs and adjustable shocks set to their highest setting.

If I didn't pitch the old components, I'd put them back on.

What's the deal!!!
Old 05-22-2006, 07:33 AM

Is it just me, or does it seem backwards that Tien springs are stiffer in the back than in the front - according to Tein: 3.2F/5.1R ???

No wonder my front is rolling way too much. Softer springs up front and a sway bay in back? Seems like a combo for suckiness.

I'm off to get some coilovers - stiff ride and all. At least I'll be able to dial up some settings that'll work.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:31 PM

update:
My update, like I already told you on the phone...

I have H-techs up front and Progress rears, Illuminas are the same as when I had Progress in front - 2/4 and tire pressure is 36 all round like I always keep it. I did some test driving this week and felt that the H-techs were less predictable and appeared to be less planted up front than my Progress springs were. At the apex of most curves I took, the Progress fronts felt way more planted and stable on average than the H-techs do.

This is based on opinion of course, for whatever its worth, and the effects that I've compared are an average effect based on several iterations of taking the same curves daily during my commutes.

Ride quality wise, IMO, the H-tech fronts ride slightly better than the Progress and I don't bottom out on my UNcut bumpstops with em.

Whether the compromise in handling is worth the comfort, we'll see, but for now my opinion is that overall, Progress > H-tech.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:12 PM

I have read both posts and your review on the H-techs. I am not a crazy driver, if I was I would have gone with a RWD car. To stay on topic, I have had my H-tech/KYB GR2 setup on for roughly 30K miles. I have yet to bottom the springs out. I have weighed my car with the stereo equipment and deadener at 3600lbs on the nose. I have had zero issues with toe or camber, no uneven tire wear and have never felt like the car was out of control. I also have a Nissan FSTB and Addco RSB. This is just my experience. I hope you find a set-up that can put up with how you are driving.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:46 PM
Chassis Freak

This is interesting. For one, I thought that the H-techs were a linear rate spring because they only listed one number for the spring rate, but it seems that was a faulty assumption. I even assumed that the less-than-ideal ride was due to the supposed linear rate and wished for progressive rate springs! I haven't had all the complaints you've had and generally I'm happy with the handling, but not happy with the ride!

I agree that they bottom out excessively (and yes, the ride is much better when the Illuminas are on 1 or 2) and they
do seem pretty jumpy. Whenever I cross RR tracks on a turn, the back of the car really kicks out for a split second. However, I think that may happen with any stiffer-than-stock spring and also with the excessive Maxima chassis flex.

Does anyone know of a linear-rate spring for the 4th gen? Are the Maxspeeds linear-rate for the 4th gen? The main reason I bought H-techs was the drop is 1.6 front, 1.2 rear which was the largest difference I could find. I didn't want the front to look higher than it should because of the lighter manual tranny, but I'm not sure how much you can trust manufacturers' advertised drops anyway.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:49 PM

I would have to disagree i had h-techs and maxspeeds on my 99' The maxspeeds just plain sucked for ride quality. Every little bump and especially big bumps/pothole. Did i mention on the interstate at 75 you can't even adjust the radio without shaking to death. Then i went to h-techs and the ride was a hell of alot better. Now i have a 02' with h-techs and illuminas and it is about the same but the car feels like it ways alot more. No disrespect i love my car more than any other car ive ever owned but it was not made for autocrossing or drag racing, (It is a family sport sedan) it is no evo or Sti and will never compare.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:52 AM

I find the H-techs in the front to be too soft for given amount of travel, even with illuminas at 5 under hard braking my car nosedives alot more than it did with eibachs or H&R's. I was running stock brakes when I had Eibachs and H&R's. I switched to H-techs and 2k4 calipers and rotors and the same time. That increased unsprung weight significantly and fudged brake bias. I am running relatively lightweight 17x8 Enkei RPO1's as well. I am considering switching back to stock brakes to see if the increase of unsprung weight is causing the unpredicability of the front H-techs.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Subzero
No disrespect i love my car more than any other car ive ever owned but it was not made for autocrossing or drag racing, (It is a family sport sedan) it is no evo or Sti and will never compare.
1. I agree that the Maxima was not made for auto-x or drag, but hey, people like to have fun with their cars and have done well in both with a Maxima, so why not?

2. The point of this thread was to express disappointment at H-Tech springs in comparison to Maxspeed springs, no one is saying that they want their Max to handle like a STi/EVO or even attempted to compare them.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:15 PM
It's business time.

I think a lot of the issues people have with the front H-techs may have to do with the progressiveness of the springs. I do believe there is relative body roll at turn it but i feel that on a sweeping, flat, high speed curve the car flattens out pretty well and is well composed.

I just want people to compare the H-techs on the track so we know how far they differ from other drops and to stock for that matter.

I just know there is significantly less body roll with these in comparison to stock regardless of what my Illuminas are set to.

I'm not having any buyers remorse with my drop and I really still feel like I made the best choice.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:27 PM

Good news Josh. I got my Eibachs installed today with illuminas and I have no clue why people say they ride hard. They ride great. The closest thing to the ride with the Eibachs is a G35 coupe. Not to bring that up again but seriously my car travels over bumps with the EIbachs VERY similar to a G35.

I consider this spring, based on very initial tests to be not only not harsh or stiff but soft. I have no clue how they got the rep as being a harsh spring. And I was going over some pretty mean pot holes some 3 - 4" deep with a shard edge, those were the only thing that really upset the car at all and those bumps would have upset the stock suspension just as much.

I would say the car isnt impervious to rolling VERY slightly in corners, probably still less roll in the corners than the other performance springs available for the max but when hitting the brakes or the gass there is pretty much NO back and forth pitch.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:34 PM
Driving is the next best thing

Originally Posted by sciff5
Good news Josh. I got my Eibachs installed today with illuminas and I have no clue why people say they ride hard. They ride great. The closest thing to the ride with the Eibachs is a G35 coupe. Not to bring that up again but seriously my car travels over bumps with the EIbachs VERY similar to a G35.

I consider this spring, based on very initial tests to be not only not harsh or stiff but soft. I have no clue how they got the rep as being a harsh spring. And I was going over some pretty mean pot holes some 3 - 4" deep with a shard edge, those were the only thing that really upset the car at all and those bumps would have upset the stock suspension just as much.

I would say the car isnt impervious to rolling VERY slightly in corners, probably still less roll in the corners than the other performance springs available for the max but when hitting the brakes or the gass there is pretty much NO back and forth pitch.
which illumina setting did you choose?
Old 05-25-2006, 09:16 PM

On all the h-tech ads it says "Luxury handling" and a slight drop if you want more handling thats why they made the S-tech lower and stiffer. That is why i bought mine for a slightly lower but more important front and rear levelness. They ride great and handle alot better than oem. And im not bouncing and thrashing around on the rough highways/interstates here.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:45 AM
retired moderator

I would have to disagree i had h-techs and maxspeeds on my 99' The maxspeeds just plain sucked for ride quality. Every little bump and especially big bumps/pothole. Did i mention on the interstate at 75 you can't even adjust the radio without shaking to death. Then i went to h-techs and the ride was a hell of alot better.
Hey, I'm agreeing with you about the ride quality. The H-techs ride great, except for the bottoming out on big bumps. My complaint is in the handling department.....too much cush for me.

No disrespect i love my car more than any other car ive ever owned but it was not made for autocrossing or drag racing, (It is a family sport sedan) it is no evo or Sti and will never compare.
it's all relative. You also can't comfortably fit 5 people and all their gear for a ski trip in an evo or STi (trust me, I've seen people do it, and they were nowhere near comfortable). "will never compare"...please. The evo and STi's are much smaller cars than the Maxima and not the same type of car, so it's really a waste of time trying to compare them. This is a maxima board, after all, so we all bought Maximas for a reason. I certainly have a successful enough career that I could go out today and buy an Evo or and STi....but they don't suit my day-to-day needs (and, frankly, I think they're both ugly as sin...but that's just my opinion).

This thread is about maxima springs. No need to bring other cars into the mix here. I'm sure on the NASIOC boards the STi guys say things like "the STi will n never compare to a Skyline GT-R" and stupid **** like that, haha.

By the way, feel free to ask the 2 STi's and 2 evos that lost to me at last season's final autocross what compares to what.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by DrKlop
which illumina setting did you choose?
On 3F and 4R its nice. I have only tried that setting and 5/5 just to see how hard that setting is seeing how everyone talks about it as being super stiff. Its not even that stiff (I deff wouldent want to spend hours in the car but its not bad) but it does make the car handle like crap over anything but perfect roads. The car at 5/5 gets unsettled quite easily over bumps and you would be much more likely to lose control around corners if you hit a bump
Old 05-26-2006, 10:43 AM
It's business time.

I have never bottomed out on my H-techs and I have either my front or rear bump stops cut, can't remember which. Also, the car doesn't roll much at all, especially on constant radius high speed turns and lane changes. I'm at 5f/4r with FSTB/RSB combo only.
Old 05-26-2006, 02:24 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by Progress
I have never bottomed out on my H-techs and I have either my front or rear bump stops cut, can't remember which. Also, the car doesn't roll much at all, especially on constant radius high speed turns and lane changes. I'm at 5f/4r with FSTB/RSB combo only.
it's the harder, sharper turns where the nose dives, front leans heavily, and spring travel is inconsistent. And this is what autocross courses have

on highway ramps, etc they are Ok, but not nearly as balanced as the Maxspeeds...
Old 05-26-2006, 03:34 PM
It's business time.

it's the harder, sharper turns where the nose dives, front leans heavily, and spring travel is inconsistent. And this is what autocross courses have

on highway ramps, etc they are Ok, but not nearly as balanced as the Maxspeeds...
I can't wait until you start X'ing your Triumph to perhaps get you away from being such a Maxima suspension *****!
Old 05-26-2006, 04:14 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by Progress
I can't wait until you start X'ing your Triumph to perhaps get you away from being such a Maxima suspension *****!
by the time that happens, you'll probably have already sold your maxima
Old 06-12-2006, 11:28 AM
retired moderator

further update:

I can't wait to get these H-techs off. As they have "broken in" the handling quality has gone from "a bit sloppy" to "downright pathetic." I almost think my stock springs would handle better. When launching around a corner (like at a right turn after stoplight) the car has terrible contact with the road, and if there are bumps on the corner, forget about it and start enjoying tire squeal.

Thank God that the Eibachs have come in and will, weather permitting, be on the car on Wednesday. If those don't work out, I can always go back to the maxspeeds sitting in the basement.....

H-techs:
Old 06-12-2006, 02:30 PM

further update:

I can't wait to get these H-techs off. As they have "broken in" the handling quality has gone from "a bit sloppy" to "downright pathetic." I almost think my stock springs would handle better. When launching around a corner (like at a right turn after stoplight) the car has terrible contact with the road, and if there are bumps on the corner, forget about it and start enjoying tire squeal.

Thank God that the Eibachs have come in and will, weather permitting, be on the car on Wednesday. If those don't work out, I can always go back to the maxspeeds sitting in the basement.....

H-techs:
If you like the Eibachs, sell me the maxspeeds.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:39 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by MaximaPolak
If you like the Eibachs, sell me the maxspeeds.
I might have to keep the Maxspeeds for winter. My snow tires are 235/50/17's and JUST BARELY fit in the wheelwell with the Maxspeeds in back, and the Eibachs are about an inch lower in the back.

then again, I forgot I have 2 sets of Maxspeeds....duh. I'll let you know....
Old 06-12-2006, 02:41 PM

I might have to keep the Maxspeeds for winter. My snow tires are 235/50/17's and JUST BARELY fit in the wheelwell with the Maxspeeds in back, and the Eibachs are about an inch lower in the back.

then again, I forgot I have 2 sets of Maxspeeds....duh. I'll let you know....

my lord... irish you got a small collection there. Sell some of those springs off.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:45 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by sciff5
my lord... irish you got a small collection there. Sell some of those springs off.
the H-techs are SOLD as soon as I get them off the car. The others, i will use for a bit of mix-and-match experimentation....
Old 06-12-2006, 03:01 PM
Z

I'm telling you, man...H&Rs up front will control the front of the car like no other spring.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Springs

This may be a stupid question not having a degree in springology or similar.

The 20th anniversary apparently has stiffer springs than stock, and I am happy with the rear distance between tire and wheel well as is(stock). Can the front springs be cut slightly to lower the car about an inch without affecting the spring rate? I will be putting in GR2's also.

Thanks for any help.

DL
Old 06-12-2006, 03:29 PM

dont cut your springs
Old 06-12-2006, 08:13 PM
Chassis Freak

Well, having some of the same complaints I would love to switch to Eibachs or maybe H&Rs, but I'm worried about the drop height. Anybody with manual transmission: does the front drop enough with Eibachs or H&Rs? I'm assuming the 5th gen springs are similar to the 4th gen. I guess I'll go post in the 4th gen forum but I'm interested in any input from you guys too.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:07 PM
LithiuMax

What did you expect with soft springs?