5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

NextGear Thermoshiled Intake Manifold Gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 08:01 PM
Unsuccesful STL Coordinator

NextGear Thermoshiled Intake Manifold Gaskets

Now, here is an actual gasket product for the Maxima VQ35 IM.

Anyone dealt with these?

The gaskets have a 5yr warranty and he said the total increase in height would be 1/4 of an inch. He said each gasket is about 1/8 of an inch.
Here is a pic of the gaskets now, he is supposed to be sending me another pic of all 3. He said the two 3 chamber gaskets are supposed to go below the runners against the heads.
He mentioned these are made of a certain kind of plastic-all that could be divulged.
They don't have dynos for the Maxima, but they do for the Civic and Passat and those made at or over 10hp/10tq.

Blown Up

Here is an explanation of what these do.

Nextgear

Click "Products" for the explanation then "Nissan" for the Maxima gaskets.

I spoke with the Nextgear owner and he would be willing to do a group-buy.
Let me know if anyone is interested and we will start a list.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

gaskets that give a 10/10 gain for under $100? ill go for that. dynos would be nice, since our engines may not respond in the same way as the passat engine. i am very interested, but what exactly does this do to gain HP/TQ? is this like the spacer SleeperI35 is looking into? or this does something different?

either way, put me on the list, possibly pending a dyno.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by KCMC582
gaskets that give a 10/10 gain for under $100? ill go for that. dynos would be nice, since our engines may not respond in the same way as the passat engine. i am very interested, but what exactly does this do to gain HP/TQ? is this like the spacer SleeperI35 is looking into? or this does something different?

either way, put me on the list, possibly pending a dyno.
I asked them about doing a dyno and I don't think they will be. They said they would like to do one for all the cars, but obviously cannot.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:16 PM

well add me to the list, im down, good find too.

but can you or someone explain what this does to create gains or free up power from the car?
Old 05-08-2006, 08:23 PM

From the webpage link I included.

Originally Posted by Nextgear Webpage
THERMOSHIELD GASKET SPECS

Before air can enter the combustion chamber of your engine, it first has to enter the air filter, travel through intake piping or tubing, pass through the throttle body, enter the intake manifold, and finally enter the cylinder head. There are many points along the path of this air flow where the air encounters a heat source. The ambient air temperature within the engine compartment can heat all of the surfaces along this path. This is called heat soak and it robs power from your engine. Most of the power robbing heat soak occurs when the cylinder head heats up the intake manifold.

NextGear Thermoshield Gaskets prevent this heat soak from occurring by insulating the intake against the unwanted heat generated by the cylinder head. NextGear Thermoshield Gaskets are direct replacement parts for your OEM intake manifold gasket. Thermoshield Gaskets increase the power output from your engine by preventing heat soak between the cylinder head and the intake manifold keeping your intake cooler. A cooler intake means denser more oxygen rich air and a better fuel burn resulting in more power.

How do Thermoshield Gaskets work? They maintain a colder air charge all the way to the combustion chamber. Cold air is denser than hot air but has less volume. When cold air is delivered to the combustion chamber, the fuel/air mixture within the chamber contains more oxygen, which means a better burn, and more power.

If you've spent time and money installing a cold air system then you know the value of cold air in the combustion chamber. But if you're not careful, just when the air is hitting the most critical part of the system, unwanted heat soak can undo all the effort you spent getting the air cold. NextGear Thermoshield Gaskets as provide a line of defense against heat soak, and a strong offense for making horsepower.

Copyright 2004 NextGear Email Spot Media Design
Old 05-08-2006, 08:28 PM

Maybe... if it works.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:21 AM

They say they have installed this on a Maxima before and the plenum is cool to the touch.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:31 AM

As always, I got links:

http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126529

http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108558

And it is important to note that these gaskets are not really spacers like the Motordyne.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:23 AM

Nice links. I was wanting to see some info from someone who actually used them. It looks like they have gotten favorable reviews from the Z board, which I imagined, they look to be of good quality and the guy has been extremely responsive to my questions.
Correct, they are not technically spacers, but they do increase the overal height of the IM, this was relayed from Don as well.
Problem is, I don't think a single Maxima user on this board has these, so we have nothing to go by. I might just try to get the upper gasket and see how it works, maybe take some before and after IM temps. Wish I had done that before I just replaced it with the OEM gasket when I did my plugs.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:28 AM
Cletus

i might just try this when i get home. sounds like it would actually work
Old 05-09-2006, 06:35 AM

Epacy, What would the price be for a group deal?
Old 05-09-2006, 07:00 AM

how difficult is it to install these? from what i can see on the site, its $110 or so for the gaskets, and i wouldnt have a problem buying these, but i have never taken apart my IM and i dont know if i can do this myself with some friends.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:10 AM

I'm still wondering how heat soak (of air) occurs when the air is spending less than an 1/8th of a second in the IM. The IM itself may heat a bit less with these but how does the air passing through at a rate of about 500 cfm heat less? Air moving this quickly is going to heat minimally, no matter what temperature the surrounding components are.

Let's look at what this company is saying:

Before air can enter the combustion chamber of your engine, it first has to enter the air filter, travel through intake piping or tubing, pass through the throttle body, enter the intake manifold, and finally enter the cylinder head. There are many points along the path of this air flow where the air encounters a heat source. The ambient air temperature within the engine compartment can heat all of the surfaces along this path.

The ambient air temperature doesn't heat anything. It is heated by the surrounding components, minimally... The engine compartment is still the same temperature, the heads are still the same temperature (or hotter), the incoming air is still the same temperature, etc...

This is called heat soak and it robs power from your engine. Most of the power robbing heat soak occurs when the cylinder head heats up the intake manifold.

How do the cylinder heads, which are hotter than the IM, heat the incoming air less than the IM? How does the combustion chamber heat the air less than the IM? Come on, that is simply a lie. The combustion chamber compresses the air (which heats it; as pressure increases, so does temperature), has walls that are several hundred degrees, has a moving piston that is several hundred degrees, etc...

NextGear Thermoshield Gaskets prevent this heat soak from occurring by insulating the intake against the unwanted heat generated by the cylinder head.

Where does the heat go then? I guess the air doesn't still pass through the now higher temperature heads and get just as hot as it was prior to the installation of the gasket? I guess it bypasses the combustion chamber? Heat does not just disappear.

NextGear Thermoshield Gaskets are direct replacement parts for your OEM intake manifold gasket. Thermoshield Gaskets increase the power output from your engine by preventing heat soak between the cylinder head and the intake manifold keeping your intake cooler.

I'm assuming they also defy the laws of physics and stop radiant heat of the block and heads from allowing "heat soak" to occur in that respect? That's how the majority of things get heated in the engine bay in the first place, through radiant heat, not from physically touching the heads or exhaust...

A cooler intake means denser more oxygen rich air and a better fuel burn resulting in more power.

No doubt, cooler air is denser and contains more oxygen. However, how does the cooler intake allow the air to remain cooler? 1/8th of a second is not long enough for heat soak to occur to begin with so how does the fact that the intake is any cooler overcome the laws of energy transfer and conductivity? Also, how does it lower the temperature of the rest of the pathway of the air? It still must pass over the cylinder heads, which are more constricted than is the plenum.

If you've spent time and money installing a cold air system then you know the value of cold air in the combustion chamber. But if you're not careful, just when the air is hitting the most critical part of the system, unwanted heat soak can undo all the effort you spent getting the air cold.

This is almost laughable. Look at how many Max owners have installed a cold air intake only to lose power. I guess the lose in power can be attributed to the fact that the air is somehow actually getting hotter from the cold air intake? Maybe its because they installed it wrong and are getting hotter air from somewhere? Or maybe, just maybe, the air pathway structure is much more important than is the temperature of the pathway since the air is spending so little time and heats up so little from it? Think that might be the case?

I apologize for my skepticism. The Maxima has a good IM design compared to a lot of vehicles on which this concept actually works. The reason they work is due to the fact the original designs are starving cylinders, not because the air is colder. When I see a dyno (a video of said dyno would be ideal to keep those selling them honest) of the gaskets working on the Maxima, I'll change my stance. If these gaskets lengthen the runners of the IM in a positive way, then just say that. Otherwise, my questions still are out there awaiting a real answer.

Edited to thank Puppetmaster for the links... Thanks! Some good discussion there.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by 03maxima1
Epacy, What would the price be for a group deal?
He mentioned a tentative price but wanted to get an idea of how many people would be interested so he can nail down an exact cost.

Originally Posted by KCMC582
how difficult is it to install these? from what i can see on the site, its $110 or so for the gaskets, and i wouldnt have a problem buying these, but i have never taken apart my IM and i dont know if i can do this myself with some friends.
There are how-to's out there for Spark Plug change. You just follow those or look for the thread I started when I did my spark plug change. It included the how-to.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:20 AM

reading the reviews of this from joels link, the guy who installed it on his Z said it did reduce the heat of the plenum drastically, to the point where he could actually hold his hand on it. i dont know about these things nearly as much as other people, but it did seem to reduce the heat, but he also said he didnt notice an increase in power.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:23 AM

Barc,
Did you see the links Puppet included in this thread?

It has a contact email for Nextgear where you can ask them all your questions. They would be able to answer them better most people on here. Then let us know what you find out.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:57 AM

Hey man, that sounds like a plan. Maybe I won't be told that the Wiedemann-Franz law increases the conductivity of air this time. I hadn't even thought of that, honestly. I expect the response will be the standard line of what they always say to folks... "Our gaskets do everything in the ad and we will give you a great sticker for your inquiry!" I'll keep you posted.

I just sent them this:

I have a few questions about the statements presented in your ad for the Thermoshield Gaskets. These questions are specific to the VQ35DE gaskets and may or may not apply to other engines.

1) How does air, which has a very low thermal conductivity, and is traveling at approximately 500 cfm, remain any cooler by passing through an Intake Manifold that is a few degrees cooler? There is insufficient time for the air to have heated significantly via any source within the system, Intake Manifold (whose volume is less than 1 cubic foot) or otherwise, before being introduced into the head.

2) How is the Intake Manifold a greater source of heat soak than are the heads or the combustion chamber? At both of these points, air is constricted, compressed, its velocity has increased, and the temperature of the surroundings have increased by several hundred degrees.

3) How is heat soak prevented in the Intake Manifold over time? Radiant heat from the exhaust (headers or manifolds), the head, the radiator, etc. is still within the system. While the Intake Manifold will remain cooler at first, it will eventually heat up as it normally would without the gasket in place, correct?

4) If the above question has incorrect reasoning, where does the heat that normally is transferred to the Intake Manifold transferred? Does the head heat further, the block, or is the heat transferred to another place? If so, where is this?

5) Since many FWD VQ35DE owners have installed cold air intakes, much research is available. This research ALL points at the fact that a cold air intake actually REDUCES overall engine output at all RPMs. Why is this the case? Do these gaskets overcome the negative effects of lengthening the intake pathway?

6) Are dyno results, specifically for the FWD VQ35DE available? If not, will they be in the future?

Thank you for your time. I’m looking forward to hearing back from you.

We'll see.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:59 AM

im down for a group deal
Old 05-09-2006, 09:09 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Any love for the VQ30 driver out there?

I'd like to see how hard these would be to install and if they werre not that hard to install, I woiuld be down. Price seems quite fair consdering the puported gains.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:17 AM

I might be down for these, I know they were claimed to be effective when I had my prelude so I would assume its the same with our cars.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:22 AM

good questions Barc. from reading on my350, he seemed to be responsive to the questions, so we will see what kind of information we get.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:54 AM

BARC,
Read back the other post and then tell me you don't want a pissing contest. I came to this board looking for help on this product, not a wise *** remark for everything I said. and YES you misunderstood what I wrote about Wiedeman-Franz Law. Go back and read again. To Epacy...good job finding them from NextGear...Already had them on my car and they do show gains, but no where in the realm of what they are claiming. If you want to look even further on to get other gaskets, they also make header gaskets like you have pictured up top. (3 hole) which VARIOUS companies make including Performance Parts. They sell the on Ebay...right next to the NEXT performance chips that add 40HP proven time and time again by soldering two wires to your IAT Sensor.....good luck with the smell that comes off of the burning plastic gaskets under your plenum...Look if anyone is still interested in helping me with this and has anything valuable to say, I welcome emails. If not good luck.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:11 AM

Interesting discussion. But barc, i have an answer you some of your questions.

The effective length of the spacer is greater than the thickness of the spacer itself; the effective length is dependent upon the thermal conductivity of the materials which surround the spacer. The spacer acts essentially like a insulator - meaning the temperature of the spacer itself is several degrees cooler than that of the manifold or cylinder head. Because the temperature does not change suddenly at surface boundaries, but rather gradually rises from the temperature of the spacer to the temperature of the intake manifold/cylinder head, the gasket has more effective area than its actual thickness.

As for the huge temperature drop that appears to be improbable, it's actually very possible with a simple understanding of heat transfer. The air that comes in contact with the surface of the spacer has the same temperature of the spacer itself. As you move towards the center of the passage way, the temperature eventually reaches the peak temperature in the temperature profile. What this means is that at some point, the some of the air going into the cylinder head is actually the same temperature of the spacer. While the spacer itself maybe 20-30 degrees cooler (maybe more, maybe less - depending on the properties of the spacer) than the intake manifold itself, you still will see a temperature drop in the intake charge. Now, I'd have to run through a few quick calculations to determine the benefit derived from the spacer itself, but I do believe that it will definitely lower the intake temperature of the intake charge.

Regarding the low conductivity of air - as temperature of the air increases, the conductivity of air also increases. This means, that more air is cooled as the air temperature in the intake manifold increases.

For those that don't believe me, pick up a heat transfer book and read up on velocity and temperature profiles for internal flows. (Yah for being a mechanical engineer!)
Old 05-09-2006, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by frankd121
Interesting discussion. But barc, i have an answer you some of your questions.

The effective length of the spacer is greater than the thickness of the spacer itself; the effective length is dependent upon the thermal conductivity of the materials which surround the spacer. The spacer acts essentially like a insulator - meaning the temperature of the spacer itself is several degrees cooler than that of the manifold or cylinder head. Because the temperature does not change suddenly at surface boundaries, but rather gradually rises from the temperature of the spacer to the temperature of the intake manifold/cylinder head, the gasket has more effective area than its actual thickness.

As for the huge temperature drop that appears to be improbable, it's actually very possible with a simple understanding of heat transfer. The air that comes in contact with the surface of the spacer has the same temperature of the spacer itself. As you move towards the center of the passage way, the temperature eventually reaches the peak temperature in the temperature profile. What this means is that at some point, the some of the air going into the cylinder head is actually the same temperature of the spacer. While the spacer itself maybe 20-30 degrees cooler (maybe more, maybe less - depending on the properties of the spacer) than the intake manifold itself, you still will see a temperature drop in the intake charge. Now, I'd have to run through a few quick calculations to determine the benefit derived from the spacer itself, but I do believe that it will definitely lower the intake temperature of the intake charge.

Regarding the low conductivity of air - as temperature of the air increases, the conductivity of air also increases. This means, that more air is cooled as the air temperature in the intake manifold increases.

For those that don't believe me, pick up a heat transfer book and read up on velocity and temperature profiles for internal flows. (Yah for being a mechanical engineer!)
Barc already started this in I35's thread. Don't clutter this one. This is a thread for interest in this product. Let Barc and I35 do all this in the other thread.
I didn't go into I35's thread and start posting junk about these gaskets. I made a new one. I see I35 coudn't do the same.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:30 AM

My apologies Epacy, but I did not bring it in here. I will stay off of your thread.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima
Any love for the VQ30 driver out there?

I'd like to see how hard these would be to install and if they werre not that hard to install, I woiuld be down. Price seems quite fair consdering the puported gains.
Sorry, I don't think they make these for the VQ30.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:43 PM

So, we have:

1. Epacy
2. KCMC582
3. 03maxima1 - maybe
4. soonerfan - maybe
5. khynex
6. Glude

Anyone else?
Old 05-09-2006, 03:07 PM
RR5

I would be interested pending further analysis. I'd like to see before and after temperature readings made with a laser thermometer. This way it would end all of the speculation about "does this really work."
Old 05-09-2006, 04:19 PM
Mass_Media™

Originally Posted by Epacy
So, we have:

1. Epacy
2. KCMC582
3. 03maxima1 - maybe
4. soonerfan - maybe
5. khynex
6. Glude

Anyone else?
Id be in after ive heard some reviews from people who already have it on there cars
Old 05-09-2006, 04:22 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by RR5
laser thermometer
Optical pyrometer FTW.

10hp/10tq means ALL OVER the powerband.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mass_Media
Id be in after ive heard some reviews from people who already have it on there cars
Trouble is, I don't think anyone on this board has used this product yet, much less with quantifiable results.
This groupdeal will probably be the first exposure to this product. As you have seen others say, these same gaskets have proven useful on a variety of other cars.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:15 PM

You can put me down for now and pending price, you will need to reconfirm with everyone. But right now I am in. Depending on price, I may be out later. Add me to the list. And I know they are not for VQ30 but I will be VQ35 soon enough.

Mike
Old 05-10-2006, 05:17 AM

1. Epacy
2. KCMC582
3. 03maxima1 - maybe
4. soonerfan - maybe
5. khynex
6. Glude
7. NmexMAX
8. mforrest100

Anyone else?
Old 05-10-2006, 05:21 AM
Cletus

im in so you can remove the "maybe"
Old 05-10-2006, 08:42 AM

I actually e-mailed this guy last night at 11 and he responed last night. I asked him about getting a local from our forums a free set to dyno with and he said he found someone but is waiting on them to commit. So maybe in a week or two we can have some results of this product. I mean to be honest, it shouldn't take longer than a day to do an initial dyno, install gaskets, and then dyno again. But we will need to give vendors time as always.

Mike
Old 05-10-2006, 09:16 AM

ya good point but hoepfully the guy does the dyno soon and doesnt take his time.....im all in for getting this little mod... looks like it will work
Old 05-10-2006, 12:15 PM

1. Epacy
2. KCMC582
3. 03maxima1 - maybe
4. soonerfan
5. khynex
6. Glude
7. NmexMAX
8. mforrest100

Anyone else?
Old 05-10-2006, 12:39 PM

Wow, stuff like this blows up quick when you are away from the Org for a few days!!

I looked back and it was nearly two years ago I posted up I was going to be a test car for these NextGear gaskets. Well, I am a slacker and STILL have not got these dyno tested.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=310168

I have known Don @ NextGear for many years. I have seen these gaskets first hand, but I haven't gotten them installed yet.

Dyno proof is needed, I agree. Good things are coming..... stay tuned!
Old 05-10-2006, 01:15 PM
G37S > I35 > UR Max

Originally Posted by Epacy
So, we have:

1. Epacy
2. KCMC582
3. 03maxima1 - maybe
4. soonerfan - maybe
5. khynex
6. Glude

Anyone else?
I am in. (if they show any gains).