5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Cattman catback rattles/burning smell after install? **please step in**

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 07:32 AM

Cattman catback rattles/burning smell after install? **please step in**

Hey guys just want to ask if anything like this happened to your exhaust!!!
I installed my cattman catback yesterday, and had some issues aligning the exhaust at the end. It was a very tight fit where the b-pipe and muffler connects, the exhaust there was touching the upper-left walls and seemed like there were no ways I could fix that, so I left it that way.
Well after giving it a test drive, when I turn the egnition it sounds like the exhaust rattles and then goes away after a couple seconds. Later when I was driving I smelled the buring smell of rubber. I think it burned some walls of that ani-rust foam under the car or something.

Does anyone had these issues, any tight fitments with the cattman exhaust? Any tips on what I can do? And any other experiences?
thanks guys!!

Problem Fixed...if interested how I fixed it read post #7, and all the other helpful tips from other posts.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:08 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by shurik
Hey guys just want to ask if anything like this happened to your exhaust!!!
I installed my cattman catback yesterday, and had some issues aligning the exhaust at the end. It was a very tight fit where the b-pipe and muffler connects, the exhaust there was touching the upper-left walls and seemed like there were no ways I could fix that, so I left it that way.
Well after giving it a test drive, when I turn the egnition it sounds like the exhaust rattles and then goes away after a couple seconds. Later when I was driving I smelled the buring smell of rubber. I think it burned some walls of that ani-rust foam under the car or something.

Does anyone had these issues, any tight fitments with the cattman exhaust? Any tips on what I can do? And any other experiences?
thanks guys!!

I had this problem when both me and my Mechanic was trying to install the complete exhaust system for Cattman, but I most tell u although we got it to stop rubbing during start-up and while during regular driving at times of a very QUIK take off I get rubbing from the exhaust system. I believe there is no way around it. Do u have the B-pipe from Cattman too? We notice that once the B-pipe was turned the right side up the whole exhaust system moved into place. Check this link out.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=458175
Old 05-12-2006, 08:17 AM

No Y-pipe only B-pipe and muffler section right now.
I did noticed that the exhaust looked crooked, and I thought it was suppose to be that way. So twisting the resonator back will fix the problem right? Ok gotta go try that out!!! hope that works.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:20 AM

also, put some clamps around the rubber exhaust hangers. those things will sag quite a bit since the cattman exhaust is heavier than stock.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by frankd121
also, put some clamps around the rubber exhaust hangers. those things will sag quite a bit since the cattman exhaust is heavier than stock.
Did that, I got to align the dual pipes at the end, but still need to fix that rubbing issue where b-pipe and muffler pipes connect.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by frankd121

Not trying to knock your idea but we thought about doing the same thing, but after we got the B-pipe on right side up everything dropped right into place there was no need for the clamps. Plus u have to think about if the clamps are not wide enough that it could cause more trouble then help. It could cut throught the rubber mount (so just keep that in mind).
Old 05-12-2006, 10:39 AM

Problem fixed!!!!!!!!

Callkiss and Frank thanks for the help and your replies, appreciate it!!!! The PROBLEM IS FIXED!!!

Well the problem is fixed, no more rubbing going on, the exhaust is in its proper place now. I just had to unscrew the whole exhaust, (some bolts didn't needed to be taken off, just needed to lighen them up so the pipes would move freely). So when I unsrewed b-pipes and than screw it back up, the whole exhaust moved to it's proper place, and now no hose clamps are even needed at all. I don't know how that happened, but I think when I was putting it together the 1st time, I scewed the 2 b-pipe peices together and then put it on the car. I think that made the whole exhaust to be screwed under pressure, that's why it was out of it's alignment.
Well very important tip for the installation, hope someone will learn from my mistake.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by shurik
Callkiss and Frank thanks for the help and your replies, appreciate it!!!! The PROBLEM IS FIXED!!!

Well the problem is fixed, no more rubbing going on, the exhaust is in its proper place now. I just had to unscrew the whole exhaust, (some bolts didn't needed to be taken off, just needed to lighen them up so the pipes would move freely). So when I unsrewed b-pipes and than screw it back up, the whole exhaust moved to it's proper place. I don't know how that happened, but I think when I was putting it together the 1st time, I scewed the 2 b-pipe peices together and then put it on the car. I think that made the whole exhaust to be screwed under pressure, that's why it was out of it's alignment.
Well very important tip for the installation, hope someone will learn from my mistake.

A man np glad I could help in some way.