5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

autoenginuity thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 10:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

autoenginuity thread

I was debating if I should post this in the dyno section or here, but since it doesn't exactly apply to either I will post it here. Mods feel free to move this thread elsewhere.

Since quite a few people on this board decided to jump on the group buy and purchase this, I thought maybe we should start another thread with problems and solutions and any other questions any of us may have pertaining to the software of the scantool.

This thread is not to be whored up by asking why your maf readings are innacurate, why your fuel trims are out of wack, or if you should buy this program!!!!!
Please do not ***** this thread.

This thead is meant for two things only.

1.) Ask questions and give answers to connectibility issues, running the tests, where to find information in the scan tool, etc. Vaguely put, pretty much anything pertaining to questions and answers on how to use the scantool or how to find information.

2.)Give information of what correct paramaters should be for each sensor. do not ask what the correct parameters should be in this thread, but if you know what the correct parameters are for a certain sensor by all means post them in this thread. This information will probably get edited later on and made into a list of correct parameters.

That being said, I finally had a chance to try this out tonight. First I will say it has its pluses and minuses.
The tools we use at work are Vetronix's Mastertech and the MEDIC. (Mitsubishi Electronic Diagnostic & Information Center). The medic is a PC based program that hooks to a MUT-II then to the car via obd-II. It is a spectacular program and very well designed, it's also very user friendly and allows for TONS of multi-tasking, so of course my review is going to be biased since I'm used to using professional grade equipment.
I digress
I have about 1 hour of usage on the autoenginuity. This is what I have found so far.

Advantages.
1.)Pull/clear dtcs.
2.)Find out what the dtc means.
3.)being able to scope two sensors on one graph and having two graphs on one page as a default.
4.)Being able to run mode 6. (I wasn't sure if this program had this or not, but it is certainly a wonderfull program. Just to bad the 00 ecu only shows misfire and not misfire for each cylinder in mode 6.)
5.)being able to change target idle and timing. (Although it did not work on my 2000)

Disadvantages.
1.) My biggest gripe is the inability to constantly multitask. I.E. If your running live data graphs then tab over to the live data meter the graph stops reading info from your sensors. I think I read this can be fixed by using the data logging information.
BUT keep in mind I'm used to using a $10,000+ peice of equipment that has it's own OS that was built solely for the MEDIC with multitasking and easibility the main focus of the program.
2.) My next biggest gripe is that you are unable to save the graphs as a .jpeg, .art, or playback recorded graphs with windows media player. All the information is saved as an excel file then the software converts it back to a graph form inside the program.. This also makes it very difficult to simply post a graph for everyone on the forum to see when trying to explain what a specific sensor is doing.
3.)For sensors that can be actuaited, it would be nice if you could right click on them in the "live data meter" area and select activate or deactivate.
4.)Let me just say first that this may not be an autoenguinity only issue. Others would know better than I. This is probably due to the fact that my 00 ecu is extremely outdated as compared to others ecus! That being said, There are not as many bi-directional controls availiable as I hoped there would be. Even with the enhanced version you can't shut down a single cylinder or turn your headlights on/off or honk your horn with the scan tool. You can't turn open/close your egr valve, etc. I was hoping for more bi-directional controls, mostly what was listed under the enhanced on the autoenguinity comman controls list. However; like I said, this is most likely due to the fact that nissan is behind on their ecu and bcm command features.
(These kinds of tests are good for finding if the problem lies in the commanding or commanded circuit)
That being said this is without a doubt worth the purchase price. For the price of the equipment I give it a 9.5/10 (I'm a bit of a critic. The price is defiently worth it)

Now for problems I am having. If others know of an easy fix let me know. If others are experiencing the same problems, maybe I can e-mail or call to see if there is a fix for each.

First let me say if the ecu detects an "on" position the live data meter gives a 1. If the ecu detects the switch as off the meter gives a 0. That being said

1.) After it detects what vehicle you are connected to it takes a few minutes and says something along the lines of "detecting enhanced sensors this may take a few minutes." After it "detects what sensors you have" you can go to live data meter and check which sensors it found. The Brake switch sensor will say off (0) even if you depress it. Also the O/D cancel switch reads off (0) even when you press the O/D off button. I'm not sure if it's a software problem or the ecu was set up to not send this information to the program. Either way I'm sure the ecu has the info otherwise the program would have never detected it as a sensor. Also IIRC they where switching over ecus in 2000 so maybe I got the ecu with all the information on it, but it wasn't made accessible until 01.
2.) no matter what I do the "02 graph" shows nothing for bank 2 sensors. It only lets me read b1s1 and b1s2 fuel trim and voltage patterns. However on the live data grid it shows me b2s1 o2 as a constant .28 volts so it may be dead, a scope will confirm it. At this time I beleive this to be a software issue since my MIL light should be on if the sensor was truely that dead.
3.)Most of the time when I attempt to command a sensor on/off or run mode 6 (onboard test results) all information on my live data grid and live data meter goes to zero and the program has to be rebooted. But the onboard test results do run the test. (It doesn't freeze you out, just stops giving data under the other screens until rebooted) PITA since it takes about 5 minutes each time to load.
4.) I shut down my Fuel injector on the command options and my Engine coolant temp went to -58 degrees. -58 is what the ecu interprets the ECT as reading when there is zero volts going thru the system. (ECT disconnected) When I command my ECT on/off the car dies and I must crank for a good 15 seconds before it will start. I'm not sure why because even with the ect unhooked the car still runs. I was thinking maybe it's just running extra rich since it thinks it's so cold, but if you unhook the sensor the ecu reads -58.
5.) I didn't look very deep, but I didn't see LTFT in the enhanced area, but it was there in the generic info, so maybe I just looked past it.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:17 PM
Boss Chen Industries

I don't have any of the problems you mentioned. I also don't have many of the features you mentioned.

The only thing I know for sure is that the scantool doesn't work for 95-00 maxima that i've tried it on. Any maxima 01+ and any OBD-II equipped vehicle by another manufacturer works. Autoenginuity has also changed my scantool hardware twice just to make sure.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:45 AM
I'm needing a caw

I hope to be able to perform more active commands on my 03 G35 sedan. I'll try to comment when I receive it.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:40 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Just got mine -- it's working well so far.

Some initial impressions: My software version was 4.2 so I thought I was good to go, but it didn't detect the enhanced Nissan sensors/features. So I went to the web site and got the latest, installed it (repair option), and tried again. Worked right away this time. This was was v4.2 but the build on 5/10 instead of 5/5.

Running on my 2k2, all the sensors in the list seemed to return results. I immediately went to the Timing Adjust option and tried it out. Seemed to work (advanced it to 17) and it would hold the change. I didn't notice any performance change, though. I'll have to drive it more to see.

Have you all played with the Speed Tracer app? I tried it but it wouldn't connect. It said it sensed the ODB connector but the vehicle would not respond. Any ideas?
Old 05-16-2006, 07:56 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Update: Maybe by connection got jiggled loose. I eventually got the Speed Tracer to talk to the vehicle.

I did a few "dyno" runs to see what would happen. Since I have an automatic GLE this is easier said than done. My dyno graph reports 938 HP! Yay, with a few stickers I should be able to break 1000! Ok, yeah, so I obviously had a few parameters misconfigured.

Autos are a pain. I was trying to test it in 3rd gear (the closest to 1:1) but the damn thing keeps shifting all over the place. (Thus the 900 WHP figure). Finally stuck it in 2nd, although I know this will skew the results. Still didn't get anything close. I'll play with that more tomorrow.

I know I'm going to burn a tank of gas just playing around.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:24 PM
I'm needing a caw

I just got mine. The instructions ask you to load the CD to the pc you will be using it on. Then you're supposed to send an email from that pc to autoenginuity to receive the key code. But what if your laptop isn't going to have internet access?
Old 05-20-2006, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
I just got mine. The instructions ask you to load the CD to the pc you will be using it on. Then you're supposed to send an email from that pc to autoenginuity to receive the key code. But what if your laptop isn't going to have internet access?

I would assume you would give him the information that is needed from the laptop and just let him know you're e-mailing him from a different computer since that ones not connected
Old 05-20-2006, 04:21 PM

What parameters are you able to see with this software? This sounds interesting. I have the Harrison scan tool software but it doesn't allow you to active test any sensors.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Menasor
What parameters are you able to see with this software? This sounds interesting. I have the Harrison scan tool software but it doesn't allow you to active test any sensors.
I'm also curious how many of the actuations are availiable on the 02+, thru this scantool, especially when comparing it to his list on his website. The Nissan tech at work said she was pretty sure that my 00 had more than was available w/ this scan tool. She thought that some of the ones that where listed should have been availiable. Namely, IIRC she said the EGR solenoid valve and a few others...I was seriously thinking about adding the GM enhanced, but I need more info first.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:50 PM
I'm needing a caw

I have yet to actually hook this thing up but I did activate the Nissan enhanced. But where do you go to access the Nissan speicfic parameters? Or is it apparent when you actually hook it up?
Old 05-24-2006, 03:39 PM
I'm needing a caw

Hey anyone else not receive the Speed Tracer hardcopy w/ this? I had to DL 60 pages at work. heh
Old 05-24-2006, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Hey anyone else not receive the Speed Tracer hardcopy w/ this? I had to DL 60 pages at work. heh
hmmm. Now that you mention it I didn't either. Just figured the info was in the user guide.

When you hook it up and enter the make/model of the vehicle it will give you and option. generic or enhanced.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:48 PM
I'm needing a caw

Hooked it up today. Connects fine. Basic OBDII works fine. I activated the nissan enhanced and it shows "activated". But none of the special sensors or commands show up. Just the basic obdII stuff. I tried it on the wife's RX300 too. Same basic OBDII. So I know the enhanced part must not be working.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:41 PM
I'm needing a caw

Update. I had to have Jay email me a version called 4.3 beta. Once I did this, everything worked. He also told me that the enhanced sensors that are either to be read or commanded is depends on which system is chosen. I guess you are supposed to do this when the program detects your car and when the vechicle selection part pops up. Then you change the system. I'm assuming the engine portion is default one.

When I get it going, there are only a few active commands. ie.. timing, etc.. maybe 5-6 different ones. This is a 03 early G sedan. I'm hoping alot more of the active command features come up when you change the system. In case I've screwed up the description, here's Jay's message:

Jeff,

The active commands list comes from the vehicle. Each system will have
a
different list. So it will change as you change the system.

To select a different system, during the Vehicle Selection phase,
change the
System at the bottom. Then all your sensors, actuations, and system
tests
will change according to the vehicle's support.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:02 PM

Program Update release to 4.3 everyone should download this update.

This version fixed alot of the problems I was having with 4.2 and is ALOT faster. Datalogging is about 0.3sec per sensor/sample or less. The detection of enhanced nissan sensors only takes about 30 seconds now instead of the 5-10 min it took before.

More important fixes/upgrades include
-Idle Air learn
-Throttle position sensor/pedal sensor sensor fix, this was previously not working for me on my 2002.
-Set Target RPM
-Nissan Codes not read properly using "Generic power train", previously I found that reading codes through this there would be missing freeze frame data/missing codes when compared to the reading obtained through "Enhanced powertrain"

Im sure there are a few others, I noticed some more actuation commands but i cant remember which ones.

And +1 for Jay and the support provided with this tool. He has already demonstrated multiple times to me that he fully supports this product and will help with any technical issues.

And a side note to all thoes haters, I was able to advance Gibbys timing (2000 SE) and it did stick.