5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Doing a complete tune-up, what should i change?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006 | 03:19 PM

Doing a complete tune-up, what should i change?

ok i want to do a complete tune up on my car since i just bought it 3 months ago and i don't know the history,

so far, i bought some NGK iridium spark plugs for $35, do i need wires?

i've already changed the battery to an optima red top and done the big 3 w/ 0ga wire

i bought a new fuel filter (but it was store brand) and i don't know how to install it $10

i got 5 qts of mobile clean 5000 and a mobile 1 oil filter for $20

i also got a K&N air filter for my stock box for $29

is there anything else i should change? anything please recommend, thanks

i am going to check my front brakes when i do all this and have it on my lift because i'm starting to hear noise, where's the cheapest place i can get some authentic brembo rotors and axxis pads (can someone recommend some better pads to get)

i also need to change the struts all around when i get more money, i think i found some tokico blue's for $340 (all 4), is there something else i can consider perhaps cheaper?
Old 05-27-2006 | 03:51 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

Originally Posted by t0mmyr
ok i want to do a complete tune up on my car since i just bought it 3 months ago and i don't know the history,

so far, i bought some NGK iridium spark plugs for $35, do i need wires?

i've already changed the battery to an optima red top and done the big 3 w/ 0ga wire

i bought a new fuel filter (but it was store brand) and i don't know how to install it $10

i got 5 qts of mobile clean 5000 and a mobile 1 oil filter for $20

i also got a K&N air filter for my stock box for $29

is there anything else i should change? anything please recommend, thanks

i am going to check my front brakes when i do all this and have it on my lift because i'm starting to hear noise, where's the cheapest place i can get some authentic brembo rotors and axxis pads (can someone recommend some better pads to get)

i also need to change the struts all around when i get more money, i think i found some tokico blue's for $340 (all 4), is there something else i can consider perhaps cheaper?
As for the wires we don't have "Wires" perse, wee have coils.
You need to do all fluids. Oil, Coolant, Power steering, brake fluid.. etc..
PCV valve most of the time...... I think it is 5 bucks
Pads.. get some Hawks HPS... best all around....
Fuel filter.. if you don't know how to do it.... well stay away from it or take it to someone that can do it. It is not an easy task.
Old 05-27-2006 | 04:07 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Like Lontar said, the fuel filter is not an easy task, but if you run permium as you are supposed to, it should not be an issue.

I would also recommend:

Irish's Oil-Bypass Filter
Flush and refill of coolant
Change Out Powersteering fluid
PCV replacement
Seafoam Treatment*
Chevron Techron Cleanser*
Auto-RX (if @ +60k miles)*

*These cleansers are optional. Some claim they do more harm then good, but I have a Dodge Neon @ 137k miles that can attest otherwise.
Old 05-27-2006 | 06:20 PM
Drug Money

Synthetic brake fluid and bleed FTW!!!
Old 05-27-2006 | 07:25 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima
Like Lontar said, the fuel filter is not an easy task, but if you run permium as you are supposed to, it should not be an issue.

I would also recommend:

Irish's Oil-Bypass Filter
Flush and refill of coolant
Change Out Powersteering fluid
PCV replacement
Seafoam Treatment*
Chevron Techron Cleanser*
Auto-RX (if @ +60k miles)*

*These cleansers are optional. Some claim they do more harm then good, but I have a Dodge Neon @ 137k miles that can attest otherwise.
running premium has nothing to do with the fuel filter getting dirty. mine was caked in sediment at 50k miles and all i run is name brand 93 octane. i would be skeptical that the thread starter got the correct fuel filter. if it was indeed the correct one then make sure you have a new o ring to replace the one that will be a pain to reattempt to use.
Old 05-27-2006 | 08:05 PM

where can i find more info on this Irish's Oil-Bypass Filter

and what is a PCV?
Old 05-28-2006 | 08:25 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by t0mmyr
where can i find more info on this Irish's Oil-Bypass Filter

and what is a PCV?
pvc-positive crankcase ventilation. its a small filter right below the throttle body and the part can had for cheap. i have found purolator makes the closest to oem part. the old one can be tested by removing it and shaking it. if you hear it rattle back and forth then its fine.
Old 05-28-2006 | 08:50 AM

?? didn't see what your mileage was, maybe I missed it. since you don't have a maint history - for peace of mind, I would also do a trans fluid change, now weather you do a pan drop & reverse flush or etc this part is up to you. BTW -M1 synt ATF is what I use, amsoil has a pretty big following here also.
Old 05-28-2006 | 08:04 PM

sorry if i am thread jacking but i have 73,xxx miles on my 01 max. Is it too late to do a tranny flush? will it be fine if i change out all fluids?
Old 05-28-2006 | 09:11 PM
wat

ryanjimz: Its never too late to do a tranny flush, unless the trans already crapped out.

t0mmyr: May i suggest you clean your maf, get ready to get new coils and a new maf.
Old 05-29-2006 | 09:11 PM

has anyone bought the service manuals CDs on eBay? here's one i was looking at http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Compl...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 05-30-2006 | 11:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

if its cheap worth having

Originally Posted by hogey228
has anyone bought the service manuals CDs on eBay? here's one i was looking at http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Compl...QQcmdZViewItem
That shipping price is stiff, but what's a few bucks at that $5-10?
Keep shopping. I paid for My 00 manual I think $4 with ship. Looks the same as the one I have, seems pretty good break down, but I'm no mechanic, so I still need help from the folks on here to get a better idea.
Old 05-30-2006 | 05:01 PM

i'm in a similar situation. just bought an 00 SE and do not know the history.

How much of the above is easily doable on your own vs. going to a garage? Are most of the parts available at an O'Reilly's or AutoZone?
Old 05-30-2006 | 07:27 PM

i ordered my brembo (drilled only) rotors and axxis/pbr metal master pads from this seller on ebay and got a good deal and quick shipping.
http://stores.ebay.com/Design-Rotor-...Q3amesstQQtZkm

i bought an 00 max se with 55k miles in 03. i went to nissan dealer prior to purchase, they did a national search using the vin# and were able to tell me the maintenance history as they knew it. obviously it was only for any work done at a nissan dealer.

so far i have replaced 1 coil, 1 rear oxygen sensor, 1 maf, had the (auto)tranny flushed, bought new tires (2 weeks ago), 1 alignment, all 4 rotors and pads (see above), 2 air filters (stock replacements), i also did the seafoam (made a noticeable improvement off idle).

to do: struts and shocks. drivers side is giving audible feedback during rebound at slow speeds.

i guess it reads like a laundry list, but this has got to be one of the most enjoyable cars i have owned. good luck.