5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Piston stuck?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 09:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Piston stuck?

Need a little advice on this. I got the driver's side done already no problem with getting the piston back in. (Using C clamp)

Passenger side (front) is taking a herculean effort to budge and get back at all.
Any suggestions? Would bleeding that caliper now help?

Thx!
Old 06-04-2006, 10:06 AM
retired moderator

you opened the cap of the brake reservoir, right?
Old 06-04-2006, 11:17 AM

yup

Originally Posted by irish44j
you opened the cap of the brake reservoir, right?
First thing I did.
Old 06-04-2006, 11:21 AM

When you replaced the pads, where the pads worn more on the passengar side? Also are the pads on both sides of the rotor worn evenly? Is there brake fluid dripping from the seals or have you had to add any brake fluid? Is the rotor chewed up?

C-clamp should do the trick. The $5.00 piston compresser tool is worth every penny.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:19 PM

details...

Originally Posted by 5thgenmaxima
When you replaced the pads, where the pads worn more on the passengar side? Also are the pads on both sides of the rotor worn evenly? Is there brake fluid dripping from the seals or have you had to add any brake fluid? Is the rotor chewed up?

C-clamp should do the trick. The $5.00 piston compresser tool is worth every penny.
hey 5th, the pads are pretty even on both the driver an passenger. no fluid leaks.

just having a heck of atime getting in the passenger side with the c-clamp.
any other thoughtS?
Old 06-04-2006, 02:38 PM

All out of ideas. Unless there was a block in the fluid somehow, it would be a stuck piston. If it where me I would try my damdest to push the piston back in. (A c-clamp should provide you with more than enough torque.) If it just won't budge I'd pull it off and try again. Keep in mind if you remove the caliper you WILL have to bleed the brakes and w/o air tools to pressuirzed the system it will be a 2 person job. If you end up giving up and removing the caliper and it still won't go in then you need a new caliper.

Like I sound though, if it where me I would compress the **** out of the piston.
Then again that's probably why chit breaks on me from time to time.
Maybe someone else can chime in and have a better idea before removing the caliper though.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:45 PM

Oh man this got annoying

Originally Posted by 5thgenmaxima
All out of ideas. Unless there was a block in the fluid somehow, it would be a stuck piston. If it where me I would try my damdest to push the piston back in. (A c-clamp should provide you with more than enough torque.) If it just won't budge I'd pull it off and try again. Keep in mind if you remove the caliper you WILL have to bleed the brakes and w/o air tools to pressuirzed the system it will be a 2 person job. If you end up giving up and removing the caliper and it still won't go in then you need a new caliper.

Like I sound though, if it where me I would compress the **** out of the piston.
Then again that's probably why chit breaks on me from time to time.
Maybe someone else can chime in and have a better idea before removing the caliper though.
Tried that C-clamp, even got the "brake tool" same concept. I had to give up on that and disassemble the caliper. Hence adding bleeding to the list of chores now.
So I end up having to take it off, air compressed the piston out to see WTF was going on? Everything looked fine, O ring, dust boot cover. Greased it all up and it still wouldn't budge back into place. Had to get it snug and then used a wood block and hammer, couple of serious knocks and it slid back to place.

And bleeding isn't something I enjoy doing. I ended up getting air in the system so that became another story...