5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

rear tires wearing out faster than front...wtf??

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 06:14 PM

rear tires wearing out faster than front...wtf??

dont understand this, does it have anything to do with the
rear sway bar I put in a while ago??
Old 06-13-2006, 06:20 PM
Burn Dust. Eat my rubber.

Are they wearing all the way across or just on the edges?
Old 06-13-2006, 06:25 PM
Driving is the next best thing

Originally Posted by Kiosk
dont understand this, does it have anything to do with the
rear sway bar I put in a while ago??
was the car in an accident?

do you remember hitting anything with your rear wheels?

how are your brakes? Are your front brakes in a good condition?
Old 06-13-2006, 06:57 PM

maybe your e-brake was up for a while once..
Old 06-13-2006, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by DrKlop
was the car in an accident?

do you remember hitting anything with your rear wheels?

how are your brakes? Are your front brakes in a good condition?
Subscribing... interested to hear the relationship between front brake condition and rear tire wear.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by XxWarderxX
Subscribing... interested to hear the relationship between front brake condition and rear tire wear.
have you thought of a situation when the front brakes are not working and you constantly overuse your rear tires?
Old 06-13-2006, 07:30 PM
retired moderator

post some pics of the tread on the tires, particularly the sidewalls, so we can see what pattern in which they are wearing - which is the best indicator of "why" they are wearing that way.

also, what air pressures are you running, front and rear?
Old 06-13-2006, 07:36 PM
vsamoylov

stop pulling the parking brake in parking lots. the max is not meant for drifting.

Old 06-13-2006, 07:55 PM

have you thought of a situation when the front brakes are not working and you constantly overuse your rear tires?
No... I'm particularly dense today

Please spell it out for me.

<------ Smiley of the day!
Old 06-13-2006, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by XxWarderxX
No... I'm particularly dense today

Please spell it out for me.

<------ Smiley of the day!
damn... dude, if you slow down using only rear brakes only rear tires attempt to stop the car. Since there's very little weight on the rear wheels the tires slip more during the braking, thus more rubber gets scrubbed off by the pavement. BTW, you don't have to lock up your tires to increase its wear.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:08 PM
Banned

RWD maxima? You're now the envy of all newbies!
Old 06-14-2006, 07:46 PM

damn... dude, if you slow down using only rear brakes only rear tires attempt to stop the car. Since there's very little weight on the rear wheels the tires slip more during the braking, thus more rubber gets scrubbed off by the pavement. BTW, you don't have to lock up your tires to increase its wear.
That's a new one to me, but thanks for taking the time to explain your statement.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:51 PM
The Boy Wonder

Originally Posted by GBAUER
RWD maxima? You're now the envy of all newbies!
beat me to it

I dont think it could've been the front brakes not working, because you'd notice poor performance if only the rears were braking.(theyre smaller rotors as well)
Old 06-14-2006, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by DesiGLE
beat me to it

I dont think it could've been the front brakes not working, because you'd notice poor performance if only the rears were braking.(theyre smaller rotors as well)
did he specifically say that he likes the way his brakes work?
Old 06-15-2006, 01:39 PM

I like you DrKlop but I think you may want to lay off of this thread. Although funny, well that is all. I am laughing as you speak about a cars braking system like it is my sportbike where I can control the front and rear brake independantly. I know what you are thinking, so please do not elaborate anymore on it.

You have a good heart, but you may want to let the more seasoned veterns handle this one. THAT DOES NOT INCLUDE ME WHATSOEVER.

Generally the main cause for increased wear on the rear tires is worn suspension components to include a bent rear axle. IF the tires are wearing uneven and the cause is not air pressure psi, then you almost certainly have either an extremely damaged component or bent rear axle.

Are they wearing evenly? I am assuming you have the same exact tires on front as you do back?
Old 06-15-2006, 01:44 PM
wat

what about like when the tires are wayy off balance causing them to scrub like crazy thus causing the tread to wear out quickly?
Old 06-15-2006, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by mdloops
I like you DrKlop but I think you may want to lay off of this thread. Although funny, well that is all. I am laughing as you speak about a cars braking system like it is my sportbike where I can control the front and rear brake independantly. I know what you are thinking, so please do not elaborate anymore on it.

You have a good heart, but you may want to let the more seasoned veterns handle this one. THAT DOES NOT INCLUDE ME WHATSOEVER.

Generally the main cause for increased wear on the rear tires is worn suspension components to include a bent rear axle. IF the tires are wearing uneven and the cause is not air pressure psi, then you almost certainly have either an extremely damaged component or bent rear axle.

Are they wearing evenly? I am assuming you have the same exact tires on front as you do back?
Sorry, but your polite way to tell me to **** off did not work. Now, back to the original question:

First, you do not have to be able to control your brake bias for for something to malfunction. So the possibility or malfunctioning brakes is still valid. Second, if you read my original post more careful you would notice my first two questions which address exactly what has most likely happened.

So, mdloops, next time you want to act like a smart a$$, please, make sure you actually know what you are talking about.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by AJA_MAX
maybe your e-brake was up for a while once..

yea i was thinking the same thing, that imo could be the problem.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:14 PM

Dr Klop. I was being sarcastic, but I am really implying that you have no idea of what you are saying. Check the rear suspension components FIRST before rocket engineering a theory regarding improper brake action. I have actually replaced an entire rear end on a maxima and had to deal with improper wear of tires BECAUSE OF WORN SUSPENSION COMPONENTS. If ALL of your brakes are in good condition, and the rear suspension is in good condition you have two options. 1) Follow Dr Klops advice and replace the entire braking system in the car (all components) 2) Suck up the extra few bucks in rear tires.

I recommend taking option #2 before a nissan dealership charges you 1K in labor just to find out which part of the brakes could possibly, maybe, be causing the rear to wear faster.

Good luck!!!

Take it to a shop and see what they say. I guess XXwarderX is a lot more discrete about screaming BS than I am......
Old 06-15-2006, 08:03 PM

Dr Klop. I was being sarcastic, but I am really implying that you have no idea of what you are saying. Check the rear suspension components FIRST before rocket engineering a theory regarding improper brake action.
read my original post!!! :

I have actually replaced an entire rear end on a maxima and had to deal with improper wear of tires BECAUSE OF WORN SUSPENSION COMPONENTS.
Good for you, I personally wouldn't want to ride in a car where rear suspension was rebuilt by someone like you. (I'm saying this not only because you are posting BS in this thread but because I have seen quite a few posts that you have made which clearly show that you don't know much about suspension and cars in general.)

If ALL of your brakes are in good condition, and the rear suspension is in good condition you have two options. 1) Follow Dr Klops advice and replace the entire braking system in the car (all components) 2) Suck up the extra few bucks in rear tires.
WTF are you saying? READ what you wrote before pressing "submit." If everything was fine he would not have asked us why his rear tires are worn.

I recommend taking option #2 before a nissan dealership charges you 1K in labor just to find out which part of the brakes could possibly, maybe, be causing the rear to wear faster

Good luck!!!
Are you suggesting him to buy new tires instead of eliminating the cause of the problem?? Very smart indeed!

Take it to a shop and see what they say. I guess
Great idea!! You have just solved all his problems!

XXwarderX is a lot more discrete about screaming BS than I am......
How old are you? When you don't understand something you are supposed to ask questions, just like XXwarderX did. Oh well, I hope you'll learn that when you'll get older.
Old 06-16-2006, 04:01 AM

I am much older than you pal. Anyways, XXwarderX was being sarcastic when he asked you to explain. He was intelligently baiting you in. BAck on topic....

Kioski - poke around at your rear suspension and make sure nothing is bent/broken. Do you hear any noises coming from the rear of the car? I guess it could possibly have something to do with the sway bar, but I doubt it. How much faster are they wearing out? Some of that may just be normal and when you rotate your tires things should even out for you.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:16 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Glad I am not the only one who was laughing when I read that BS...