5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

$150 For A Recharge On A/c At Nissan?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 09:28 AM

$150 For A Recharge On A/c At Nissan?

Took it there today, asking $150 +tax to charge my ac to see if it just needs a recharge or leaks. I said no thanks. Cheapest I found a place to recharge is $85. Is that the normal rate? Any cheaper? I'm on long island.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:00 AM

I always thought it was a lot more. They wanted quite abite to do mine on my 89 max. I don't about the 2k AC system, but that seems reasonable, but then again, i'm not sure
Old 06-29-2006, 10:40 AM
El Mas Noob Del Org.

Originally Posted by NeverBepeace
Took it there today, asking $150 +tax to charge my ac to see if it just needs a recharge or leaks. I said no thanks. Cheapest I found a place to recharge is $85. Is that the normal rate? Any cheaper? I'm on long island.
Those prices seem fair for a recharge. At some shops I ask they usually want around 120-150 so I asked with my mechanic and the best he could do was 75 and he is a good friend so I would say it sounds about right.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:45 AM

its nissan, nothing is hardly ever a deal. i got mine done for 75 bucks at a smaller shop, shop around.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:40 PM

yea my uncle has a shop and he charges $65, but repair shop chains charge around $90 and up, come by my house and bring the $5 can of freon and i got the gauges and ill do it for $30 lol and they wanted more on ur 89 max because it uses R-12 freon which is like $40-50 a can and in most states you have to have a license to buy it, luckily I have a license
Old 06-29-2006, 08:48 PM
drag racing is for wussies

In our shop (Acura) we charge 89 bux for AC diagnostics, and that also includes recharging. Now if there is a leak somewhere...... they charge 140 a hour to fix that. I love AC work
Old 06-30-2006, 06:33 PM

if there is a leak, then its a PITA, and you have to mark it w/ dye and what not.

If its just a recharge, its not too bad to DIY. I did it once. The box even came with an instructional DVD video (lol), and a guage too to monitor pressure.
Old 06-30-2006, 06:36 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Get it done at Nissan, end of story. If the refidgerant is no loaded to factory spec, you WILL experience problems with the A/C. The refridgerant is added as based upon mass...so unless you have a certified scale to properly load it, I would not recommend it. I agree for shopping around for 95% of maint. work...this would fall under the 5% where I would take it to no one but a Nissan tech.
Old 06-30-2006, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima
Get it done at Nissan, end of story. If the refidgerant is no loaded to factory spec, you WILL experience problems with the A/C. The refridgerant is added as based upon mass...so unless you have a certified scale to properly load it, I would not recommend it. I agree for shopping around for 95% of maint. work...this would fall under the 5% where I would take it to no one but a Nissan tech.
Hah, I forgot to mention that I recharged our old van, so it really didn't matter if the A/C got jacked up beacuse it was just used to haul stuff around, and I was bored that day, lol.

...so he is probably right!
Old 06-30-2006, 06:46 PM
VaporHead

Your A/C leaking? If you just want a recharge, just get the adaptor hose at Autozone and about two cans of R134A, attach hose to LOW pressure outlet which is left side of motor. Should be a blue cap. Dealers, shops, always charge an arm and a leg to put in dye. If you are getting hot air, listen for your AC compressor to turn on, if it doesn't, could be low 134 or bad compressor.

Old 06-30-2006, 11:00 PM

How do you know if its leaking? Also, when I turn a/c on.....i dont hear anything change in the hood, or sound like anything kicking up. It just sounds regular.
Old 07-01-2006, 04:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

How do you know if its leaking? Also, when I turn a/c on.....i dont hear anything change in the hood, or sound like anything kicking up. It just sounds regular.
If thats the case, then your compressor may be going. Once you put on the A/C, your fan should turn on, along with the compressor. Then the cold air should shoot out.

btw, Pep Boys by me has the a/c recharge for $99. I think.. haven't been there in a while though.

Andy
Old 07-01-2006, 07:39 AM

Ok the fan does not turn on at all when I put my a/c on. No cold air. Dammm what the heck!!
Old 07-01-2006, 07:59 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Ok the fan does not turn on at all when I put my a/c on. No cold air. Dammm what the heck!!
Do you hear a 'click' when you turn the A/C on? If not, chances are good your compressor is shot. You can likley pick one up from a jukyard for about $50 - $100. Installation is not the easiest in the world, only due to its location.
Old 07-01-2006, 08:17 AM

Does the fan have to come on instantly? Or wait a couple mins? I hear a click, buts its a light click.
Old 07-01-2006, 10:01 AM
VaporHead

Does the fan have to come on instantly? Or wait a couple mins? I hear a click, buts its a light click.
At idle with no A/C on, my fans are off, soon as I turn A/C on, fans kick on. They may only kick on immidiatly due to the fact it's 100 degrees outside. If your's do not turn on, then you have a bad A/C relay?? Anyone else have an idea?

Old 07-01-2006, 10:17 AM

A/c relay? Sorry but what is that?
Old 07-01-2006, 10:53 PM

So I had my friend look at my a/c. Since he knows a lot about cars, he actually told me that I have no leaks, and that all I need is a charge. However, my fans still don't not turn on when a/c is put on. Then again, the fan comes on after 5 mins to cool the engin.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:04 AM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

the fans should go on right when you turn the ac on.. and go off if not needed. the $150.00 charge is a little high but it is ok..... you should take it to a free check up and go from there...
Old 07-02-2006, 11:45 AM

if you are short on refrigerant, or even have too much, the compressor clutch will not engage, therefore you will not have cold air. there are sensors, and i believe it is right after the condenser on the cooled side. if you have a leak, it could be a minor leak that you can't really tell, and takes time for your refrigerant to escape your system.
Old 07-02-2006, 03:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

$150 is not bad.
We charge 1 hour plus supplies for an ac recharge. = About $150

Originally Posted by aw89maxSE
I always thought it was a lot more. They wanted quite abite to do mine on my 89 max. I don't about the 2k AC system, but that seems reasonable, but then again, i'm not sure

Originally Posted by opanick
they wanted more on ur 89 max because it uses R-12 freon which is like $40-50 a can and in most states you have to have a license to buy it, luckily I have a license
True, kind of..... Anybody who recharges a car with R-12 is completely ignorant. Charging a customer for R-12 when they could sell a R-134 conversion kit, save the customer money, and have a much higher profit with alot less overhead is nuts..... They sell 3 levels of kits to swap your R-12 system to an R-134 system.. It's actually cheaper for the customer and makes the shop more money...(Less overhead)....Not to mention if the R-12 leaks out in 2 weeks the shop just spent $60 a pound for freeon = Roughly $180 in parts PLUS the shops upcharge = OVER $300 COST TO THE CUSTOMER JUST FOR THE FREEON no labor included to be a complete loss and have to do it again. Don't think that customer would EVER come back to that shop....

As long as the shop knows what their doing anyone should be able to do it. The amount of freeon needed is on a tag under the hood and under capacities in the Owners manual. Most shops with the right equipment should be able to do it.. Also even though some people don't think it holds any value, an A/C ASE certified tech has taken the test and passed so they would know what they are doing.
Keep in mind an "ASE certified shop" doesn't mean jack. There are 7 ASE tests. Passing only one makes you "ASE certified". That doesn't necessarily mean that they are A/C ASE certified. Finding an ASE certified tech in A/C or an ASE Master tech is always a good idea (or a dealership), IMO.

Do you hear a 'click' when you turn the A/C on? If not, chances are good your compressor is shot. You can likley pick one up from a jukyard for about $50 - $100. Installation is not the easiest in the world, only due to its location.

It's a good idea to put a new oriface in if you have to open the system. Also remember IF you have a bad compressor that you should take it somewhere to get it recharged after swapping the compressor.

Condensation can get in there if you open the system.. water = bad pressure readings, different boiling points for the freeon, more wear and tear on all lubricated components, etc, etc.....
A 28 in.hg. vacuum needs to be put on the system before recharging.

Originally Posted by getbigtony
if you are short on refrigerant, or even have too much, the compressor clutch will not engage, therefore you will not have cold air. there are sensors, and i believe it is right after the condenser on the cooled side. if you have a leak, it could be a minor leak that you can't really tell, and takes time for your refrigerant to escape your system.
Very true....
First check power to the compressor..

If you have a multimeter hook it to the two wires at the compressor. Have someone turn your A/C on. It should get 12V to the compressor.
If you're getting 12+ volts and the clutch isn't engaging then you have a bad compressor. IF you're not getting any power to the compressor your problem lies elsewhere.

If the "light click" you hear is the A/c clutch the nest thing I would do is go to harbor freight and pick up a nice $50 set of gauges. (These look EXACTLY like the ones the trucks sell for $150-$200.)
Check your high/low side pressure make they are w/n specs.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:51 PM

damn 5thgen where u work?
Old 07-03-2006, 05:01 PM

So I had my friend look at my a/c. Since he knows a lot about cars, he actually told me that I have no leaks, and that all I need is a charge. However, my fans still don't not turn on when a/c is put on. Then again, the fan comes on after 5 mins to cool the engin.
How could you need a charge if the refrigerant did not leak out somewhere? Doesn't seem to make sense to me.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:45 PM

That sucks. The shop I work at does it for 59.99 CDN