5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

In the market for a 5.5 Gen... couple of questions before I decide to purchase!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 02:17 PM

In the market for a 5.5 Gen... couple of questions before I decide to purchase!

Hey guys!

Well, I am in the market for a 2002-2003 (3.5 V6) Maxima. I have done some browsing around and it seems like its a pretty reliable car, but there are a few ?'s I had:

What are some of the common problems w/ these cars?
I have found wheel bearings, worn struts, valve cover gaskets (easy fix, and can be replaced w/6th gen cover), and MAF failure (can be replaced with 2k1 MAF + temp sensor swap out and ECU reporgram..???) but anything else that I should be made aware of?? Sensors/modules/seals/etc?

Is there any major maitinence req'd (t-belt, chain, diff fluid, something else specific for this car)?

Is there anything in particular to look for (or to make sure that has been done) specific to the 2002/3 Maixmas?

Finally, what's up with this oil consumption problem I hear about? It looks like it only effects some random VQ35's. Are there any tall-tale signs of it? some people have reported a rattling sound, but is there any way to see if a car I am interested in is a victim of it, without driving the car for X,XXX miles and checking the oil before and after (meaning, any way to see if it is a victim while I am checking out the car at the dealer/persons house/etc.)?? This oil problem is NOT the leak through the valve gasket, correct?

...and interesting thing to note about the oil problem is that most of the ppl don't notice any leaks or blue-ish smoke comming out of the exhaust... so where the heck is all that oil..?

Also w/ regard to an extended warranty from Nissan... does the car have to currently be under the original factory warranty in order for you to be able to get the extended deal from Nissan (I would assume so). Does it have to be bought from the orginial owner? Nissan's site is kind of amibigous when it comes to those details.

Anyother comments/suggestions/tips are MORE than welcome, and TIA for your help. I tried to make this thread specific, and did some reading before posting, so I'm not an uber-n00b.
Old 07-01-2006, 03:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

ive found my 2k2 to be pretty problem free. a lot of people have issues with the drivers side window, either needing to be reprogrammed or have the motor replaced. it also seems the cars go thru brake pads a lot using the OEM pads, but people have improved that with aftermarket pads.

the cars have a timing chain, so no issues there. there are a lot of TSBs out there but most of them are small things, like idle positioning sensor or rear deck rattle, etc.

The oil consuption problem i dont have much info about. GBauer seems to have the biggeset issues than anyone i have heard of, but thats not something i have an issue with.
Old 07-01-2006, 03:26 PM

i bought my 02 back in july 02 brand spanking new, aside from fluid changes, she has been flawless. others have had worse luck, but i am very happy with my max 6spd pwns
Old 07-01-2006, 07:26 PM

I have a 2k2 and there was 1 recall on the front suspension (not sure if it was control arms or what), but that was replaced for free by Nissan. If you do end up buying one, you may want to check if that's been done.

I blew my MAF at 80,000km's (I've had a Stillen intake on it since the car was new). I guess if you keep the stock air box, it'll probably last longer. Mind you, the 2k3 MAF's have less issues because they are beefier than the 2k2 MAF's. My dealer gave me a new MAF as per a TSB on it. The rear 02 sensors also blew which were replaced under another TSB.

The 2k2-2k3 auto's seem to have issues as well. My 2k2 auto died also around 80,000km's, and I rarely drive it hard. If you get a 6spd, you should have no problems.

Also, the stock fog lights tend to crack easily, but you can replace them with Hella foglights that fit well, or buy a used set from other members.

Good luck with the purchase!
Old 07-02-2006, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Nathan
I guess if you keep the stock air box, it'll probably last longer. Mind you, the 2k3 MAF's have less issues because they are beefier than the 2k2 MAF's. My dealer gave me a new MAF as per a TSB on it. The rear 02 sensors also blew which were replaced under another TSB.

The 2k2-2k3 auto's seem to have issues as well. My 2k2 auto died also around 80,000km's, and I rarely drive it hard. If you get a 6spd, you should have no problems.
Really? I was under the impression that these auto's were pretty strong?

Good to hear about the MAF.

I guess the oil issue is less common than I thought. I was on some 350z/G35 forums, and some of those guys were loosing like 1-2+qts within a 3-4K mile oil change. That is not normal... I guess what I'm thinking is that if a car did have that problem it would show up early (like a massive failure)... so like a 40K mile car would have already had that show up..?

How many miles total do you guys have now?

...and bump for more responses!
Old 07-02-2006, 03:43 PM

I bought my 02 with 70,000 miles and just rolled over 100,000 a few months ago.

I've been modding and racing since I got it and it's held up fine. No oil loss or MAF issues even with aftermarket intake.

Some of the 6-speed cars tend to get a grind when shifting hard into third. It the car is still under warranty Nissan will put a new tranny in those cars. It wasn't all of them and they have the problem worked out now with better syncros. I had the grind but was out of warranty. I swapped in a tranny from an 04 car that had the better syncros and HLSD.

The most common problem I've heard about is the 6 disk CD changers going bad in the Bose equipped cars. They tend to fade in and out on one side then go out all together. The radio and tape will still work but the CDs won't play right. Seems like almost every 5.5 with Bose will have that problem sooner or later.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:06 PM

Even the 00-01 Bose decks have this problem, where is affects the CD player. It can be fixed though, but it's a temporary fix that will most likely have to be repaired a few years later. I guess you can always go with an aftermarket deck if you run into this problem.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Nathan
Even the 00-01 Bose decks have this problem, where is affects the CD player. It can be fixed though, but it's a temporary fix that will most likely have to be repaired a few years later. I guess you can always go with an aftermarket deck if you run into this problem.
Yeah, mine won't play at all right now. I'm decicing on whether to try the fix or just go aftermarket. I'll probably pull it apart and do the fix because I like messing with things and it's free. Either way, I love the car and the stereo problem wouldn't have kept me from buying it.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:00 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Purchased my '03 Maxima on Sept. 11, '04 with around 32K miles, and now it has around 67K miles. I purchased the extended Gold Prefered warranty for $1450 when I bought the car. The car has been relatively trouble free minus a few things. I DO have the infamous rattle betweek 2-3K RPM, however show no signs of burning oil. I have installed an oil catch can, which catches more oil than Id like, which makes me wonder what would be happening to the oil if I wasnt catching it. I blew a MAF sensor, which was replaced under the warranty, but not sure what made it blow. I had the GAB installed for about 5 minutes before it blew, but not sure if thats what blew it, considering I reinstalled it once I got a new MAF and everything seems fine. When replacing my spark plugs @ 65K, I noticed that I had oil in my #5 bank. I had the intake manifild gaskets replaced under warranty. Not sure if its a huge problem, but I know that I wasnt the only one finding oil in the #5 bank. No problems with OEM rotors warping, but have installed aftermarket rotors and brakes all the way around anyways. I do have a slight hickup when shifting into 3rd, but I think its hardly noticible. I think its more in my head. Everything else seems strong on the car. After owning the car for 1.5 years, I still love driving it every single time. Good luck with your purchase.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:27 PM

[QUOTE=Derrick2k2SE]
Some of the 6-speed cars tend to get a grind when shifting hard into third. It the car is still under warranty Nissan will put a new tranny in those cars. It wasn't all of them and they have the problem worked out now with better syncros. I had the grind but was out of warranty. I swapped in a tranny from an 04 car that had the better syncros and HLSD.

Derrick2k2SE: the '04's have triple cone synchros in 2nd, our 5.5's have double. Was your '04 swap plug 'n' play, or was additional modification needed? That's pretty cool if its a drop-in.

Sorry to go off-topic....
Old 07-03-2006, 05:44 PM

Yeah, direct swap. The final drive is geared shorter so all the gears are actually lower. It's only by a small amount though.

As far as the install it's the same.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:22 PM

ok tks man!
Old 07-04-2006, 07:49 AM

I have a late model 6-spd 2K2 with 112,000 kms (70,000 miles) that I bought brand new. Here is my experience with the car so far as well as my comments on some things I have "picked up" on this site.

Problems / Annoyances:

- Significant Wind noise from back window (Mostly fixed with TSB)
- Hood fluttering at highway speeds (Mostly fixed with TSB)
- 6-disk Bose cutting out playing CD's (Fixed with TSB and currently still working)
- EXCESSIVE paint chipping
- O2 sensor died and needed replacement
- Cold startup timing chain rattle (still occurring infrequently so I am living with it)
- Crank position sensor recall
- Cracked foglights (stupid design by Nissan + too much heat).

Other Comments:

- I am still on original MAF and have at times had a GAB intake and K&N filter. My late model 2K2 had the stronger AM600 2K3 MAF originally, so don't let people tell you that ALL 2K2s have weak MAFs.
- I do not burn a drop of oil.
- My 6-speed is a little "notchy", but I have had absolutely no issues or grinding problems at all.
- I have had no problems with wheel bearings, struts, or even warped rotors. I am not sure where you read about the worn struts problem but I have not heard about or experienced that. Premature warping of the rotors however seems to be a very common problem.

The only things I have paid for out-of-pocket at this point other than standard maintenance stuff is one O2 sensor, and two new fogs.

The theory on the oil loss problem is that it will start later in the 3.5's life, so you will probably not see signs by 40K. However, there are others (with the exception of GBauer) with a lot of miles on their 5.5 gen that are doing fine.

I LOVE driving this car and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. Unfortunately, my wife gets to drive it a lot more than I do but every time I sit behind the wheel it makes me smile.

By the way, great newb post Rocket. You obviously did some research before you came on here and just started asking questions blindly which is much appreciated on this board.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have had the wind noise, paint chipping, hood shake and warping of brake rotors on my 01'. As bigfly replied they are common 5th gen issues. The paint is very disappointing for a $30K car.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:36 AM
Mass_Media™

Ive had both an auto 02 and an 6spd 03. I haven't had oil consumtion issues, timing chain rattle, MAF problems no real problems at all. The only thing that has gone out is my right ABS sensor failed so thats about it. Good luck with you choice
Old 07-04-2006, 02:28 PM

Thanks everybody for your posts! Everyone has given great advice!

The problem with a lot of forums is that car-problems/issues get voiced so it appears that the car in questions is problematic... but you have all shown that is not the case.

I am an ex-german car owner, and although I loved the car, the maitinence was just kicking my butt. I need something reliable (have to go back to the Japanese ) and fun to drive (03+ Accord is okay, I'll pass on the Camry)... that's where I see the Maxima. It seems like the issues are few and far between, and some of them have been taken care of by TSB's, which is nice.
I am going to try and find a lower mile car, and hopefully pick up an extended warranty from Nissan that should take care of any hiccups along the way. But, this car (whatever car I am buying now) has to be something that I can put a ton of worry free miles on, even after the warranty (if I get one) expires.

Seems the strut issue might acutally be a 6th gen problem, and is under recall... I might have had it mixed up.

Alright! I am really very excited to start my search for the perfect Maxima. Odd thing is that I have seen quite a few I35's in the area selling for cheaper on the average, than similar Maxima's....? I would LOVE a Gunmetal Gray 6spd w/ HLSD!

I really do appreciate the input guys. I was worried when I first saw the posts, but you have all reassured me.

Keep the posts comming!

BigFly_2K2SE: Haha, thanks! I tried to read through some stuff. A lot of the "problems" I came across though seemed odd, or the poster didn't quite know what they were talking about, so I thought I better post to really gauge this car. Either way, I frequent lots of other forums, and know how annoying it can be if someone posts redundant/stupid stuff, or doesn't use any punctuation and writes in one huge sentence!! Your post is argueably the most organized and detailed!... that just might be the one that swayed me the most. Thanks!
Old 07-04-2006, 05:51 PM

I too am in the market for a 5th gen.

I would have liked to have an I30/I35 with the Infiniti name and rear window sunskirt but I can't sacrifice a manual transmission for such frivolities. It's too bad a manual tranny wasn't offered in the Infiniti like the 4th gen. I30.

I have read that the 5.5 gen. 6 speed tranny is "notchy" compared to the smooth 5 speed offered in '00 and '01. I haven't driven both to compare but it's worth considering if your looking for a manual as I am.

Good Luck.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Glad to see this thread...im always intimidated starting a new forum. I been on the sr20forums for some time..and a careless driver took out my baby. A 91 ser. I decided its time to move on a get a big boy car now. I been researching the 5th gen max, the accord of the same year and the acura TL. Im glad i researched that one. Ive heard horror stories of the trannies being timebombs.and 5 grand a pop to replace. No thanks. Good info guys.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:41 PM

i got my 03 used with 3,500 miles. ever since i bought it i havent had a single problem with it. I just take it into Nissan for the normal oil change. The only aftermarket part I have is an intake and I haven't had any problems with the MAF at all! If you are looking for a 4 door car with power then I would go with the Maxima.

IMO I think the Maxima is much better than the Accord because there are too many Honda's that sound like a chain saw, but can't back up the noise under the hood.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:48 AM

Got my 02 with 50k and now have 76k

wind noise
fix http://www.innerbean.com/housecor/wi...ind_noise.html

Hood shake
It's not an issue for me, but it definitely likes to shake

Bose CD, left side
fix a quick hit to the head unit with the palm of my hand will get the left side working again, unitl the next random bump/shift in the road, only with CDs now

Paint
fix, install a clear bra if you can get one that with low miles and isn't molested yet. Hate the chips.

No engine issues, I'm all stock there

I'll be replacing the springs, struts and brakes soon.

All in all it's the best car I've driven and I'm loving it