5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

my car's lagging

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2001, 12:11 AM
bylss

maybe i'm just paranoid (i bumped the right front wheel a little hard on the curb), but i think my car doesn't have the same high end torque it did when i bought it. i can't feel the "uumph" when i go full throttle at 50+ mph.

also, sometimes i can't start the motor cleanly...usually when the engine's still warm. it starts normally when it's cold, though.

oh, i did buy my car used, but certified...if that means anything. any comments?

aloha,
paranoid man

Old 06-22-2001, 07:05 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by bylss
maybe i'm just paranoid (i bumped the right front wheel a little hard on the curb), but i think my car doesn't have the same high end torque it did when i bought it. i can't feel the "uumph" when i go full throttle at 50+ mph.

also, sometimes i can't start the motor cleanly...usually when the engine's still warm. it starts normally when it's cold, though.

oh, i did buy my car used, but certified...if that means anything. any comments?

aloha,
paranoid man
Hehehe Don't worry about the bump because it's not going to cause your car to lag. You don't feel the "uumph" anymore because you've gotten use to your car. I'm like that too now. I GUARANTEE that you'll feel that kick if you drive the Max after a slower car (I did and still do).

Motor starting cleanly? People have had that problem. Before you start your engine, turn the key to the on position for a few seconds then crank the car.

Don't worry so much, but I understand where you're coming from.
Old 06-22-2001, 07:27 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

well..

if you *really* feel the car is losing power because of the bump... check the exhaust and intake. exhaust not kinked and no wires hanging down (for sensors, although this would throw a check engine light).. then check the intake.. you *could* have knocked something loose.

those things would be entirely rare to occur, but the car is used so who knows if they had an intake on it or something was already loose. easy to pop the hood and check.

with that out of the way.... I would look at the gas.. are you using 91+? if so, change gas stations. they might have a formulated gas that your max doesnt like..

and lastly, you might have failing O2 sensors. If you have a little warranty with the 'certified' thing, tell them about the starting problems and ask if they will put your car on the "Consult" reader. Have them check the emissions stuff. (it will cost $70 out of warranty)
Old 06-22-2001, 07:29 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

oh... and

there is a service bulletin on transmission slippage. See sticky posts at top of forum. you may have been alittle over zealous with those 0-50 runs and now the tranny is slipping.. pretty common.. quick fix. read the TSB post.