5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2k sort of sluggish when accelarating...help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 12:12 PM

2k sort of sluggish when accelarating...help!

Whenever I drive my car for the first time each day, it feels sluggish when accelerating, almost hesitating to go, unless I press harder on the peddle then it goes. I called up my local dealerships, and one of them said it might have to do with the fuel filter, or spark plugs, since I have 80k on the original plugs. This only occurs when the car is cold, but once warmed up, it accelarates just fine. The other dealer told me it's unlikely to be the fuel filter since it's not considered a replacement part, and that they haven't had one clog on them yet. Should I just replace the plugs now and worry about the filter later maybe?
Old 07-18-2006, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by MaxBlu5
Whenever I drive my car for the first time each day, it feels sluggish when accelerating, almost hesitating to go, unless I press harder on the peddle then it goes. I called up my local dealerships, and one of them said it might have to do with the fuel filter, or spark plugs, since I have 80k on the original plugs. This only occurs when the car is cold, but once warmed up, it accelarates just fine. The other dealer told me it's unlikely to be the fuel filter since it's not considered a replacement part, and that they haven't had one clog on them yet. Should I just replace the plugs now and worry about the filter later maybe?
Plugs should be good till 125k miles....
Old 07-18-2006, 02:01 PM

I talked to a guy over where I work at, told me it's likely the fuel filter, but here is something else just in case somebody knows, whenever I let the car completely warm up upon first start up, it doesn't hesitate at all when accelarating. My friend said that the car had time for whatever, the fuel or something, to flow through the car, reason for no hesitation. But still, is this something I eventually need to address, changing the fuel filter even though Nissan doesn't recommend it?
Old 07-18-2006, 02:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hesitation

Just had this happen on my 2000. It is most likely the MAF (mass airflow sensor). search the threads for this and you will most likely find the same issues. DAve B is the best person to get this for you.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:49 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

at 80k miles, its time for plugs and fuel filter. some let their plugs go for longer but mine were almost spent at 40k miles. the fuel filter in the tank is no different than one under the hood. it is more difficult to replace simply due to the location but it needs to be replaced just like every other fuel filter thats ever been made. mine was covered in dirt/soot/debris @ 50k and i only use name brand 93 octane.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:29 PM
Driving is the next best thing

Could be your injectors... Get some injector cleaner from your local parts store and add it in the gas tank.

Also, go AutoZone and ask them to scan your ECU for trouble codes. (it's free) Sometimes the codes are stored without triggering CEL.

BTW, spark plugs have to be changed every 60k miles or so. If you still haven't change your fuel filter, it might be a good idea to change it as well. (just as preventive maintenance.)
Old 08-25-2006, 11:13 AM
Lifetime Maxer

Originally Posted by MaxBlu5
I have had this exact problem for the last year or so. I wasn't noticeable on hot summer days, but over the last couple of weeks (as the nights have gotten cooler) is has started happening again. It's a sort of hesitation/skipping feeling and doesn't happen if you let the car warm up for a few minutes. What the hell is it - someone PLEASE help!
I have done these already, with no help:
30K service (with plugs, fuel filter, etc)
New MAF
Fuel injector cleaner is applied regularly

Could this possibly be a coil issue?? I've only replaced one coil due to misfire codes stored. Where is Daniel B lately?