5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Weekend elbow grease, plugs, oil, etc...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 09:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Weekend elbow grease, plugs, oil, etc...

Ok finally got around to switcing out the spark plugs this weekend. That back row is a serious pain especially plug 5, the middle one.
I almost broke the coil trying to get it out, thought I did too. Considering that my paw ain't bigger than average. that was a test of patience and stretching.

A: I found it interesting that from left to right, the plugs were discolored with some "oil burn", and it ran all the way up to just dry looking "rust" color. Is this normal for plugs with 54K on them?
(I'd post a pic for comparison, but I don't have an external host url right not to do this.) i never bothered to learn this, so excuse my ignorance, but how do some of you post right on the thread?

B: The OEM NGK R were replaced with the NGK Iridium IX. (I noticed that it does indeed run smoother.) By the way please don't wait till the 100K to replace your plugs, it is not by anymeans a good idea, despite the fact that my stealership looked at it only a few months ago. i went to them for years, but bad attitude and poor service is an unacceptable combo.
(I didn't even post this, but they lost my wheel lock and rear placemats my last visit) yeah as a driver I did not notice this for a couple of days)

C: Oil has always been Mobil 1 synthetic. Drains real nice, (save for the time the stealership put in the regular stuff, oh yeah last visit also). Walmart super ctr. bottles, got to love em. best price around for the good stuff.

D: Stock air filter replaced; darn summer driving in bumper to bumper made it filthy. Oh yeah I picked up a CAI kit, but honestly don't have the experience to do it, looked at some how to's but, since I got mine off ebay, it doesn't look the same. If anyone knows someone in the NY/LI area please advise.

E: New brake pads and rotors 2 weeks ago along with ATE super blue fluid. Much better bite and stopping power. PBR/Axiss (yeah, I know dust like crazy) and bot some cross drilled slotted off an ebay shop. No complaints whatsoever, the dusting from these pads aside, performance is great. Yes next time Hawk pads as everyone else says.
(I just ran thru my service records and I paid more for the "resurface" and pad job the stealership did 2 yrs ago on the front only.) Since I was over time and mileage they did smack me upside the head with the bill.

So summer is quite abit over now and got some good things done, but more to do...ahead.