5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

oil catch can problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 03:09 AM

oil catch can problems

im going to do the oil catch can mod next and heard that the big cans like the greddy one dont catch as much oil as the smaller home depot "can" that must be emptied every two weeks. i was thinking about maybe with the much bigger can in-line, the vacuum is weaker because of more space. the vacuum would be able to suck in alot more with a smaller "can" in-line. does this make sense to anyone? im trying to decide which route to take.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:54 AM

The Home Depot unit is an oil-air separator. If you take one apart you will see the incoming air running through vanes on the side at high speed then the flow opens and slows down before making a 180 degree turn for the exit. The oil mist is heavier thus they could not make the turn so they condense at the bottom. Those ebay units is simply a big metal can. I don't see how they can catch any oil. Some people put steel wool inside to cool and condense the oil, but eventually as the unit heats up, it stops catching any oil.

I am using the big version of the Home Depot oil-air separator and empty every 2,000 miles or so, about 1/4 full.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:16 PM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by maximaownsyou
im going to do the oil catch can mod next and heard that the big cans like the greddy one dont catch as much oil as the smaller home depot "can" that must be emptied every two weeks. i was thinking about maybe with the much bigger can in-line, the vacuum is weaker because of more space. the vacuum would be able to suck in alot more with a smaller "can" in-line. does this make sense to anyone? im trying to decide which route to take.
i had both the ebay oil catch can...and the home depot one....i first added the ebay catch can exactly 1yr ago...and it SEEMED to be working great...although you did see the return lines being soaked with oil...anyway, in december (4 months of driving) i decided to empty it out...wtf!?! nothing came out!!! what a POS....anyway, the ebay catch can didn't do **** and thats the reason for the return line being soaked in oil...

since then, I added the home depot one...and this one, you can actually SEE lots of oil being collected....i say just play it safe and get the home depot one...i've had both, so I know the home depot one will work for sure...if dumping them out often is a factor, then opt for a larger can...its about $9 more than the small can that I have.....all the materials will come out to be $20...if you go with a larger can, I'd say $29
Old 08-07-2006, 05:03 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Emptying the catch can twice a month for better maint. of a vital necessity is not going to kill you.

Turn off the effing TV or step away from the org for 2 minutes to perform the necessary maint.

A well maintained engine >>>> sloth
Old 08-07-2006, 05:05 PM
retired moderator

I'm going to do a little project to hybrid-ize an ebay can with the HD reservoir top to get the best of both worlds, if I get the time to! Will keep you all posted.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:37 PM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by irish44j
I'm going to do a little project to hybrid-ize an ebay can with the HD reservoir top to get the best of both worlds, if I get the time to! Will keep you all posted.
teh innovatar!!
Old 08-07-2006, 05:39 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Josh, would you not just need to reduce aperture sizes such that the pressure drop is maintained?
Old 08-07-2006, 06:58 PM

yeah ill play it safe and get the home depot one, thanks guys, glad i didnt spend $30 and wait a week on some ebay pos
Old 08-07-2006, 06:59 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

You'll be happy you did.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:04 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima
Josh, would you not just need to reduce aperture sizes such that the pressure drop is maintained?
basically, yes. I'm not entirely sure what the best way to do that is in this case....it's been over 10 years since that fluid dynamics class

a couple options:
1. try to rig the cap/seperator feature to the top of the ebay can
2. rig a drain from the small HD reservoir into the ebay can
3. something else....

ideas? I'm not feeling very creative tonight. That's why I'm talking about 0awg wired in that other thread
Old 08-07-2006, 07:08 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

3. something else....
Reducer bushing retrofitted into OEM holes?

ideas? I'm not feeling very creative tonight. That's why I'm talking about 0awg wired in that other thread
We've ALL had those nights, dude.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:11 PM
retired moderator

Reducer bushing retrofitted into OEM holes?

You're making me feel stupid for not being able to visualize what you're thinking of, Dan I think you're gonna have to draw it out for me

the holes on the ebay can are pretty small, and the cap on the husky seperator is fairly wide in comparison...not sure if I could find a reducer that would be the right size and thread.....

I'm almost temped just to plug the intake/exit holes on the ebay can, cut the bottom off the husky reservoir, and cut a hole the same size in the top of the ebay can....epoxy it all together, and give it a go...
Old 08-07-2006, 07:21 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

You're making me feel stupid for not being able to visualize what you're thinking of, Dan I think you're gonna have to draw it out for me
I sincerley can't see that happening.

the holes on the ebay can are pretty small, and the cap on the husky seperator is fairly wide in comparison...not sure if I could find a reducer that would be the right size and thread.....
Well, if that is the case, I would try reducing the ports with a bushing collar?

I'm almost temped just to plug the intake/exit holes on the ebay can, cut the bottom off the husky reservoir, and cut a hole the same size in the top of the ebay can....epoxy it all together, and give it a go...
AHHHHH...Now THAT'S an idea!
Old 08-07-2006, 07:26 PM
retired moderator

AHHHHH...Now THAT'S an idea!
whether it's a good one remains to be seen.

Best case: it works

Worst case: I'm out $30 for an ebay catch can and $10 for a Husky one and ruin the only flashy thing in my engine bay

I knew, however, that you'd get excited by the reference to epoxy
Old 08-07-2006, 07:29 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

whether it's a good one remains to be seen.

Best case: it works

Worst case: I'm out $30 for an ebay catch can and $10 for a Husky one and ruin the only flashy thing in my engine bay

I knew, however, that you'd get excited by the reference to epoxy
Please try this out because I am juggling too many d'amn projects to tack this on to the list right now.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:41 PM
retired moderator

Please try this out because I am juggling too many d'amn projects to tack this on to the list right now.
would you expect any less from the Home Depot Mod King? Of course I'll try it out!
Old 08-08-2006, 07:39 AM

ok so does anyone have the part # to the 3/8" husky filter? i looked at home depot - walmart - autozone - advanced auto parts and NONE of them had it... needless to say i was p!ssed off. i have the two 3/8" to 1/4" barbs and the hose clamps, this is the only thing i need.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:55 AM

It is also available at Lowes and Sears. Home Depot has the lowest price, though.