5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Oil loss - diagnosis from dealership

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 06:40 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by kingrukus
Has anyone bothered to do a wet compression test yet?

Our local dealership has 2 VQ35 cars in right now burning severe amounts of oil. This is becoming a more serious problem. I am still looking at picking up a 5.5 gen, but it must have the balace of the powertrain warranty left on it (ie 5 years, 60k miles)
im not gonna pay someone for the test. i still have warranty so its their problem to solve. they have 5,000 miles to figure it out
Old 09-13-2006, 10:57 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Has anyone bothered to do a wet compression test yet?

Our local dealership has 2 VQ35 cars in right now burning severe amounts of oil. This is becoming a more serious problem. I am still looking at picking up a 5.5 gen, but it must have the balace of the powertrain warranty left on it (ie 5 years, 60k miles)
If I had a 3.5 I'd be all over it. Would take an hour or less to do one head. (the easy one) Odds are if it's burning that much both sides are bad..(assumming that rings/glazed cylinder walls are the problem)

If someone needs instructions PM me, it's relatively easy and a cheap sort-of accurate compression tester can be purchased for $15.00. The #'s aren't all that important anyways, the improvement from compression/wet compression tests are what matters.

Good luck soonerfan, maybe they won't need to tear your bottom end apart.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:08 AM

Glad to see that a dealer is finally willing to DISCOVER what could be causing the problem. Most just say the engine is fukked and replace it and move on. Good luck with the diagnosis, and let's hope that the technicians working on your car can give an honest and detailed report of the problem. That and give you a new engine
Old 09-13-2006, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by soonerfan
well i just got back from the dealership. i went in to have them check the oil level after 1,000 miles. well it was 1 1/2 quarts low. i already knew it was low cause i was getting the timing chain rattle. i overheard the tech talking to the service manager "i have heard about these engines having this problem. i recall hearing somethig about the valve cover being cracked or the gaskets being bad. you cant check either of those from the outside".
so i was right when i though that the PCV valve wasnt the problem. the problem is what clogged the valve.
so i have an appointment next tues for them to remove the valve covers to check things out.
So if that is the cause. Are either one fixable or does the whole engine have to be replaced
Old 09-13-2006, 11:55 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by boondoxmax
So if that is the cause. Are either one fixable or does the whole engine have to be replaced
i guess we will find out on tues.
im just worried about the mileage till the warranty runs out. they keep trying something and telling me to come back in 1,000 miles. well they have 4 more chances to fix the problem
Old 09-13-2006, 11:56 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by LA02MAX
Glad to see that a dealer is finally willing to DISCOVER what could be causing the problem. Most just say the engine is fukked and replace it and move on. Good luck with the diagnosis, and let's hope that the technicians working on your car can give an honest and detailed report of the problem. That and give you a new engine
something i didnt mention before...the dealership is now under new ownership. basically another place bought them out. so far, they seem for helpful.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:49 AM
Cletus

just got back from the dealership
i thought they were just going to replace the valve cover gaskets but they changed the whole rear cover...they said it was cracked. i dont understand how that would cause the problem. anybody know?
im supposed to bring it back in 1K miles
i mentioned to the guy that my warranty would be up in 4K miles so we had 3 more chances to fix the problem before i was out of warranty. he said that nissan would still cover it since it was a pre-existing problem. thats great news
Old 09-19-2006, 10:53 AM
2-Wheelin it...

just got back from the dealership
i thought they were just going to replace the valve cover gaskets but they changed the whole rear cover...they said it was cracked. i dont understand how that would cause the problem. anybody know?
im supposed to bring it back in 1K miles
i mentioned to the guy that my warranty would be up in 4K miles so we had 3 more chances to fix the problem before i was out of warranty. he said that nissan would still cover it since it was a pre-existing problem. thats great news
5.5 gens is common for having a cracked cover. i'm going to take a guess here and say that it was the plug nearest to the driver that had the oil leak. i've done searches and more than 75% of them were problems with that specific plug.

they also replaced both front and rear gaskets along with the cover for me. i thought they had gone out of the way, but since they took care of you too, they're possibly seeing this as all too common?
Old 09-19-2006, 10:55 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by PoLo
5.5 gens is common for having a cracked cover. i'm going to take a guess here and say that it was the plug nearest to the driver that had the oil leak. i've done searches and more than 75% of them were problems with that specific plug.

they also replaced both front and rear gaskets along with the cover for me. i thought they had gone out of the way, but since they took care of you too, they're possibly seeing this as all too common?
well nissan north america told them to change the cover. seems like we might just see a TSB. the tech told me last time that he had heard of the problem
Old 09-19-2006, 10:55 AM
no more maxima...

cracked valve cover you say? I wonder if this is what is causing everyone else's oil burning with the vq35...
Old 09-19-2006, 10:57 AM
Cletus

cracked valve cover you say? I wonder if this is what is causing everyone else's oil burning with the vq35...
yup...didnt even realize they are plastic.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:22 PM

Ok so were is the oil being burned at and what do think a job like this would cost at the dealership if you were out of warranty
Old 09-19-2006, 07:42 PM
Fortuna Favet Fortibus

Well I can personally vouch that you will have to fight like heck to get Nissan to cover the motor if you are past the warranty mileage regardless of whether they had looked at the oil consumption while it was under. If you have your oil change and service receipts and like the guy before said you are nice to the service manager and techs you can come out very well. Documentation is the key. That and stubbornness.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:32 AM

Soonerfan:

Did you ASK to see the "cracked" valve covers?? What did the service ticket say?? I'm curious, but I NEVER trust those damn stealerships....they've lied boldface to me more than once!

CONJECTURE:

So, what are we saying here??
Is it BETTER to simply be proactive and either replace or inspect the valve covers and gaskets BEFORE we get any more miles on our VQ's and subject it to lower oil levels????

I'm not sure I'm buying the cracked valve cover theory yet - no offense to you, soonerfan. Can this REALLY be the issue, or another Nissan coverup??

I hate this.
I've done MOST of my oil changes myself, and haven't documented much. I figured the Nissan V-6 was as bulletproof as my '98, and wouldn't need to worry about this sort of thing.
Doh.

gr
Old 01-02-2007, 01:58 PM
Cletus

**UPDATE**

Well the dealership FINALLY did a "leak-down test" today. I've been asking them for months to do it, and the service manager finally got sick of the problem and did it. When i took the car in last week for them to check the oil level, it was 1 1/2 qts low. The service manager said "well its losing even more oil. I'm going to call Nissan NA and push them a little more. I'm tired of them giving us band-aid fixes."

Well the manager just called me and said, "The oil is getting past the rings and burning. I'm calling Nissan NA tomorrow to order the new engine".

Old 01-02-2007, 02:35 PM

Congrats on the NEW ENGINE...
Old 01-02-2007, 03:26 PM
IN IRAQ MAXIMA.ORG-ING :)

whoa... wtf... congrats... yeeeesh hopefully this is some iniative for the rest of the 3.5 owners to go and check the dealers out if u are losing oil!
Old 01-02-2007, 04:23 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by KabirUTA13
whoa... wtf... congrats... yeeeesh hopefully this is some iniative for the rest of the 3.5 owners to go and check the dealers out if u are losing oil!
the service manager said that the engine will be sent to the factory for them to completely tear it down to determine the problem and the cause.
possible TSB in the future (even though they still claim it isnt a common problem).
i guess my patience finally paid off. im been working with the dealership for over a year and about 8,000 miles. my patience forced Nissan NA to figure out the problem.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:06 PM

How many miles do you have on the engine total, soonerfan?
Old 01-02-2007, 06:37 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by 2002 Maxima SE
How many miles do you have on the engine total, soonerfan?
59,721 right now.
the service manager said that even if I go over the warranty, Nissan NA will fix the problem since it was a know problem that they have been trying to fix for 8,000 miles.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:23 PM

soonerfan.......what oil did you primarily use?
Old 01-03-2007, 03:40 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by P. Samson
soonerfan.......what oil did you primarily use?
when i bought the car with 32,000 miles on it, i switched to redline synthetic. i didnt have a problem for about 15,000 miles then it started burning oil. the dealership switched it to conventional oil and it kept burning.
at first the dealership tried to blame the burning on the synthetic oil. well they were wrong since it kept burning.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:58 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

That's good news, Jason. Nice to see that they're going to take care of you. @ 90k I've been really lucky not to run into this issue. Def keep us updated.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:54 AM
Banned

I've always said it was either the rings or the cylinder walls (scoring). The compression test, however, still doesn't confirm it. The leak could also be at the valves. See if the dealership will tell you where it was leaking if and when they hear back from Nissan. Even though I replaced my engine, I'm sure the same problem is going to come back up in about another 50k miles or so now. If it's a simple valve job, I'll fix it. If it's the rings and/or cylider walls I'll probably just find a nice field, start the car, light the oil drip coming out the tailpipe and blow the damn thing up. After, of course, I part out anything valuable and sell it here or on e-bay...
Old 01-03-2007, 10:24 AM
♠♠♠♠♠

that's great news sooner. Also good precedent for others with the oil burning issue. Hope it doesn't take too long to install your new engine.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:03 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by GBAUER
I've always said it was either the rings or the cylinder walls (scoring). The compression test, however, still doesn't confirm it. The leak could also be at the valves. See if the dealership will tell you where it was leaking if and when they hear back from Nissan. Even though I replaced my engine, I'm sure the same problem is going to come back up in about another 50k miles or so now. If it's a simple valve job, I'll fix it. If it's the rings and/or cylider walls I'll probably just find a nice field, start the car, light the oil drip coming out the tailpipe and blow the damn thing up. After, of course, I part out anything valuable and sell it here or on e-bay...
they did a compression test and a cylinder leak down test. the leak down test showed that the rings werent sealing the cylinder. that could either be bad rings or scoring.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:36 PM

Soonerfan.............What viscosity Redline? When an engine has had piston ring and/or cylinder wall wear/damage that it uses as much oil as yours and some others on this forum appear to be using, changing oil type from syn. to dino. or whatever is not going to do squat. The damage is done. If you don't want to deal with it, just try a higher viscosity oil as an exercise and see if that decreases the HOC.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:03 PM
Cletus

Soonerfan.............What viscosity Redline? When an engine has had piston ring and/or cylinder wall wear/damage that it uses as much oil as yours and some others on this forum appear to be using, changing oil type from syn. to dino. or whatever is not going to do squat. The damage is done. If you don't want to deal with it, just try a higher viscosity oil as an exercise and see if that decreases the HOC.
10W30
the type and viscosity of the oil didnt cause the problem. the oil might highlight the problem...but the problem is the rings or scoring
Old 01-03-2007, 07:20 PM

On 4 stroke motors there are oil rings and compression rings.... You can have good compression and still have blow by... a cylinder leak down test is the only way to know....
Congrats on the new motor....and sorry at the same time. I'm at 79k and no issues so far...lucky me...
Old 01-03-2007, 08:57 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by shoman94
On 4 stroke motors there are oil rings and compression rings.... You can have good compression and still have blow by... a cylinder leak down test is the only way to know....
Congrats on the new motor....and sorry at the same time. I'm at 79k and no issues so far...lucky me...
yeah, the compression test passed but the leak down failed.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:09 PM

Great news on the new motor soonerfan. It looks like your persistency has paid off!

I bought my '03 almost 3k miles ago at 33k and just went down to the garage to check the oil. Looks like I lost 1 quart in 2.1k miles. I also have the 3rd gear grind happening about half the time so it looks like I need to make friends with the dealer...

Keep us posted on the engine swap.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:16 PM
AHI

These stories aren't helping my decision on buying this car... i'm actually really worried now.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:38 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by AHI
These stories aren't helping my decision on buying this car... i'm actually really worried now.
ive always said, problems seem more common on the org because this is where people come to get advice regarding their problem. you cant use the org to gauge how common a problem is.
its like this
80% of people on here have a certain problem
well if you were to look at all maximas produced, the problem probably only occurs on 5% of the cars.

plus people on here tend to drive their cars a little harder. that could either cause a problem or highlights the problem. a little old lady would never realize that she is burning oil.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:16 AM
AHI

ive always said, problems seem more common on the org because this is where people come to get advice regarding their problem. you cant use the org to gauge how common a problem is.
its like this
80% of people on here have a certain problem
well if you were to look at all maximas produced, the problem probably only occurs on 5% of the cars.

plus people on here tend to drive their cars a little harder. that could either cause a problem or highlights the problem. a little old lady would never realize that she is burning oil.
In all fairness, a little old lady won't be driving a 6MT 03 SE.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:16 AM
♠♠♠♠♠

the engine will burn oil irrespective of what tranny it has..

As sooner says, this problem really is pretty limited, which is why Nissan isn't making a big deal about it, unless you do. It sucks to be victim of it though.

Just check out some of the polls which have been made - even out of our group here on the org, only a certain percentage have the oil burning issue.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:33 AM

When you get a sudden jump in oil consumption caused by rings or cylinder issues, something catastrophic happened and whatever caused the rapid wear or scoring or whatever, had a root cause. Soonerfan....was it all cylinders? It just ain't normal for these cars when you look at the big picture.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:01 PM
Cletus

When you get a sudden jump in oil consumption caused by rings or cylinder issues, something catastrophic happened and whatever caused the rapid wear or scoring or whatever, had a root cause. Soonerfan....was it all cylinders? It just ain't normal for these cars when you look at the big picture.
i think they said it was only 2 cylinders. the car was still driving fine because the compression was fine.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:32 AM

More likely to be the oil rings themselves... maybe sticking or worn. If the cylinder wall was damaged then compression would be down some on those cylinders also....
Old 01-07-2007, 08:40 AM

I find it interesting that Nissan continues to COLLECT bad motors.

Notice that NOBODY (however few given the total number of Max's on the road) who Nissan has approved engine replacement under warranty, is having the engine REBUILT or the Rings Replaced.
Economics will dictate --- but still.....engine replacement is the prescription for this issue.

The engines are getting shipped back to the factory for Tear-down and analysis. This is no surprise.

Interesting though, that Nissan has not issued a TSB or similar statement regarding this malody. I doubt they will - given the fact that it's probably less than 1% of the total units manufactured.

I for one, still do NOT accept my own personal Oil consumption level of 1 qt every 5k miles as NORMAL. Not in THIS engine.
My 98 didn't burn a DROP, and this one shouldn't either.

I don't know what to do about this.....I hate dealing with dealerships.
gr
Old 01-07-2007, 08:43 AM

It's good to see that Nissan is starting to take care of this kind of issue. I just bought a brand new G35 with the rev-up engine. It seems that it is more common for the rev-up engines to consume oil. I have 1600 miles, think I should take a look at my oil level? Or is it unlikely that I would have such problems so early?

Who knows, I already had the MAF go on me at 1450 miles.

When I sold my 2003 6-Speed I had 60,000 miles and I didn't have the oil consumption problem, so lets hope my luck holds out.

Quick Reply: Oil loss - diagnosis from dealership