5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Oil loss - diagnosis from dealership

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 08:44 AM

[QUOTE=infiniteecho] I just bought a brand new G35 with the rev-up engine.

What in God's name is a REV-UP engine????
Old 01-07-2007, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider17

The VQ35 that has a higher factory red line then the 3.5 in the Maxima. My redline from the factory is 7,000 the 07 is 7,600
Old 01-07-2007, 12:51 PM
Cletus

[QUOTE=ghostrider17]
Originally Posted by infiniteecho
I just bought a brand new G35 with the rev-up engine.

VQ35HR

HR = high rev
Old 01-07-2007, 12:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by soonerfan
VQ35HR

HR = high rev
wrong....the revup engine is different than the new VQ35HR. The revup is just a slight variation of the VQ35DE with different cams, extended rev limiter, and a few other changes that is in the 06+ Z and G's. The VQ35HR is completely redeisgned and is in the new 07 G sedan.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:58 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by LA02MAX
wrong....the revup engine is different than the new VQ35HR. The revup is just a slight variation of the VQ35DE with different cams, extended rev limiter, and a few other changes that is in the 06+ Z and G's. The VQ35HR is completely redeisgned and is in the new 07 G sedan.
well he said he "just bought a brand new G35" so i assumed it was an 07 with the VQ35HR
Old 01-07-2007, 01:35 PM

well he said he "just bought a brand new G35" so i assumed it was an 07 with the VQ35HR
ah, I see what you mean. Well now you know what the rev up engine is! It's also in the '07 G35C
Old 01-08-2007, 12:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Excessive Oil consumption w/3.5L eng

i switched to aimsoil sythetic when i bought the car (had 30,000) miles on it. the car ran fine for 15,000-20,000 miles before the problem started. the first dealership i took it to tried to blame the oil cause it was "thinner". i refuse to buy that
My 2002 MAX 6spd had the engine replaced after 48K mi because of this issue. The new eng is doing the same thing! I am using 5w30 (reg oil).
After 2K mi, I changed the oil, it was down to 3 1/4 qts. That's about 1 1/4 qts low. This is still excessive!
I recently called Nissan NA regarding this and I am waiting on a response. The rep couldn't even tell me what the normal oil consumption rate is for this engine! Don't let them BS you. This engine definitley has a design flaw.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:00 AM
Cletus

Well its about to get ugly.
Dealership just called me and said "Nissan is denying your claim based on the fact that you dont have sufficient maintenance records".
They asked for my oil change records a few weeks ago and I took him what I had. I did the first three oil changes myself so I cant prove those.
I'm going to print off the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, drop it off at the dealership and say, "I know my rights. You have to prove I caused the problem. Please let Nissan NA know about this before an attorney contacts them."
Old 01-19-2007, 09:09 AM

Well its about to get ugly.
Dealership just called me and said "Nissan is denying your claim based on the fact that you dont have sufficient maintenance records".
They asked for my oil change records a few weeks ago and I took him what I had. I did the first three oil changes myself so I cant prove those.
I'm going to print off the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, drop it off at the dealership and say, "I know my rights. You have to prove I caused the problem. Please let Nissan NA know about this before an attorney contacts them."
I'm not surprised. It's this kind of crap that will keep me from buying another Nissan. I'm the same - I've been changing my oil for MOST of the life of the car, and I REFUSE to pay the stealerships to rip me off for servicings.
I call this legalized EXTORTION: if you don't pay them to record the service, they ASSUME it didn't happen.
ANYONE can open-up the valve covers and see whether or not you've been servicing (changing-oil) properly. This is NOT rocket science!

Good for you sooner.....please keep us posted - and remember to by-pass the dealship and deal directly with Nissan NA if you're not getting answers.

gr
Old 01-19-2007, 09:13 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by ghostrider17
I'm not surprised. It's this kind of crap that will keep me from buying another Nissan. I'm the same - I've been changing my oil for MOST of the life of the car, and I REFUSE to pay the stealerships to rip me off for servicings.
I call this legalized EXTORTION: if you don't pay them to record the service, they ASSUME it didn't happen.
ANYONE can open-up the valve covers and see whether or not you've been servicing (changing-oil) properly. This is NOT rocket science!

Good for you sooner.....please keep us posted - and remember to by-pass the dealship and deal directly with Nissan NA if you're not getting answers.

gr
they have to prove that the problem was caused by me...not the other way around. im done dealing with the dealership. i called a lawyer who will deal directly with Nissan NA.
ive kept this up for almost two years...im not giving up now
Old 01-19-2007, 09:26 AM
Cletus

FYI,
For anyone else with this problem...I'm going to mention to the lawyer that this is a common problem that Nissan is denying. I'm not going to start a Class Action Suit because I think they are pointless. But once a lawyer gets involved, it will be easier for everyone else to get their car fixed.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:16 AM
Cletus

seems Nissan has covered their @sses (which i know is standard disclaimer practice)

From the warranty website -
You are responsible for properly using, maintaining and caring for your Nissan as outlined in your owner's manual and your Nissan Service and Maintenance Guide. Keep copies of all maintenance records and receipts for potential review by Nissan. Failure to do so could result in the denial of warranty coverage.

I still think that they have to prove the problem was caused by failure to do oil changes...they wont be able to do that since I did them.

Still waiting for lawyer to call me back.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:25 AM

Sorry to hear the recent news. So they are trying to deny your claim because you can't document the first 3 oil changes (9k miles)? Or is it more than that?

I take it you don't have receipts or credit card statements from the dealer/auto parts stores where you bought the filters/oil.

Might be worth a look...
Old 01-19-2007, 11:27 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by Maxfli
So they are trying to deny your claim because you can't document the first 3 oil changes (9k miles)? Or is it more than that?

I take it you don't have receipts or credit card statements from the dealer/auto parts stores where you bought the filters/oil.

Might be worth a look...
yeah, just the oil changes.
bought the car - 37,245
first documented oil change - 47,280

i did the first 3 oil changes myself with amsoil. cant find receipt for the oil. but even if i had them, they could say that doesnt prove i actually did that. i feel good about fighting this because i know i changed it. i have people that watched me change it.

im hoping a lawyer can just send a letter to Nissan NA. they might change their tune when dealing with a lawyer.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:17 PM

Wao., just the other day I wrote to congratulate you on your new engine and now this...
Well I hope you win the battle because it really freaking sucks. You have put up with a lot and I hope that pays off in the end.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:30 PM
Cletus

one bit of good news...Nissan is finally admitting that there is problem and that the car needs a new engine. now i just have to get them to do the right thing and pay to correct a problem with their engine.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:41 PM
♠♠♠♠♠

how many oil changes do you have recorded being done?

I wonder why they're giving you such a hard time.. do they not want to set a precedent? I'd imagine that's what their concern is.. one person's problem isn't going to cause them any financial harm, but if everyone starts coming together saying "that person got a new engine, I want one too" then its more of an issue.

In the end, its their fault they're having problems anyway, but it sounds like they're trying not to let this landslide on them..
Old 01-19-2007, 02:48 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by MacGarnicle
how many oil changes do you have recorded being done?

I wonder why they're giving you such a hard time.. do they not want to set a precedent? I'd imagine that's what their concern is.. one person's problem isn't going to cause them any financial harm, but if everyone starts coming together saying "that person got a new engine, I want one too" then its more of an issue.

In the end, its their fault they're having problems anyway, but it sounds like they're trying not to let this landslide on them..
i have two documented oil changes from the time i bought the car till i took it in. i did the first three myself. as soon as i realized there was a problem, i took it to get oil changes (to see if regular oil would help).
Old 01-19-2007, 02:50 PM

Keep copies of all maintenance records and receipts for potential review by Nissan. Failure to do so could result in the denial of warranty coverage.
Sooner - they say keep copies of maintenance records and receipts. So if you have receipts for Nissan oil filters and cases of oil, they could still say that it doesn't prove that you changed your oil? What good does keeping a copy of the receipt do then? What exactly do you need to prove you changed it...video evidence?

I guess they think people might go to the trouble to purchase oil filters and cases of oil and then not change the oil???

Keep fighting man...I'd go through every paper in my house looking for those receipts. Speaking of which, I need to tighten up my receipt keeping routine. I bought by car at 33K, changed the oil at 34K, checked it after reading your woes and at 36K, I have lost 1qt in 2K miles...
Old 01-19-2007, 03:00 PM
♠♠♠♠♠

i have two documented oil changes from the time i bought the car till i took it in. i did the first three myself. as soon as i realized there was a problem, i took it to get oil changes (to see if regular oil would help).

you may have already answered this, but where did you get the car? private sale? another dealership? Do they have records by chance? Or is it Nissan's position that the gap during which you did your own changes is the time in which the engine got destroyed?
Old 01-19-2007, 03:05 PM
Cletus

you may have already answered this, but where did you get the car? private sale? another dealership? Do they have records by chance? Or is it Nissan's position that the gap during which you did your own changes is the time in which the engine got destroyed?
i bought it from an infiniti dealership. didnt take it there for the problem cause there was a nissan dealership closer.
i showed them the paperwork from when i got the car that showed the mileage.
they are saying, it was the time from when i bought it until the first documented oil change. actually they didnt even say that "caused the problem". they just denied the claim due to lack of maintenance records.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:21 PM

Sounds like BS to me.... Have you heard from the lawyer yet? Try googling for similar cases....
Old 01-19-2007, 04:03 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by shoman94
Sounds like BS to me.... Have you heard from the lawyer yet? Try googling for similar cases....
havent heard anything...probably on mon.
ive done research...this can be won. i just want to improve my chances with a lawyer. them talking to nissan will have more weight then me trying to talk to them.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:03 PM

Surprised Nissan won't just try new Rings.... Unless its cheaper to do a short block change out.....
Old 01-19-2007, 05:36 PM
Cletus

Surprised Nissan won't just try new Rings.... Unless its cheaper to do a short block change out.....
i stated above that they dont do any internal engine work at the dealership.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:40 PM

i stated above that they dont do any internal engine work at the dealership.

Actually....You stated about the motor could be sent back to Nissan for tear down.

My dealer does....I guess the dealer rep with nissan makes a difference...
Old 01-20-2007, 06:19 AM
Cletus

Actually....You stated about the motor could be sent back to Nissan for tear down.

My dealer does....I guess the dealer rep with nissan makes a difference...
yes it will be sent to Nissan...the work wont be done at the dealership
Old 01-20-2007, 06:23 AM
Cletus

I just realized something that will work in my favor.
Nissan denied the warranty claim "due to lack of maintenance records".
Then why did they approve the replacement of the PCV valve and both valve covers in an attempt to correct the problem?
So the real reason IS NOT "lack of maintenance records" since that wasn't a problem before. The real reason is "its expensive this time". They are simply using the lack of maintenance records as the official reason.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:02 AM
Kevlo for President

sue sue sue sue sue. fck nissan this is the ****tiest way to handle the situation.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:07 AM

This is just one of the 99 reasons this is my last Nissan/Infiniti. After 6 cars from the same company my 2001 I30 is the worst. The best... 91 Maxima SE. Even that one had a main bearing failure but it was fun to drive while it lasted.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:41 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
sue sue sue sue sue. fck nissan this is the ****tiest way to handle the situation.
actually "suing" will be my last resort...i dont want money, just a new engine. i hope a letter from a lawyer will do the trick. nissan has no leg to stand on...they already worked on the problem under warranty
Old 01-25-2007, 11:12 PM

hey sooner - and all

i just took my car to a mechanic and he did a leak down and told me i have excessive blow by. I haven't checked the PCV valve but everybody seems to be saying it dont matter much.

Im at 75000 now and im like 4th owner or something. I've only had the darn thing like a month. As such I highly doubt the dealer will do anything at all for me.

My question(s) to the board is... should I:
a) just live with it and keep adding oil every 1000k miles? if I dont fix the problem - whatever ring or cylinder wall problem it is - will the engine fail or get worse? is this just a matter of adding oil to keep it at adequate level - or will this problem progressively destroy my engine even with adequate oil refills?
b) try to fix the ring/cylinder wall problem?
c) abandon ship and sell the thing?
Old 01-26-2007, 03:53 AM
Don't you know who I am?

Originally Posted by wawacito
hey sooner - and all

i just took my car to a mechanic and he did a leak down and told me i have excessive blow by. I haven't checked the PCV valve but everybody seems to be saying it dont matter much.

Im at 75000 now and im like 4th owner or something. I've only had the darn thing like a month. As such I highly doubt the dealer will do anything at all for me.

My question(s) to the board is... should I:
a) just live with it and keep adding oil every 1000k miles? if I dont fix the problem - whatever ring or cylinder wall problem it is - will the engine fail or get worse? is this just a matter of adding oil to keep it at adequate level - or will this problem progressively destroy my engine even with adequate oil refills?
b) try to fix the ring/cylinder wall problem?
c) abandon ship and sell the thing?

Yep, I'm in the same boat. I just checked my oil two days ago, wasn't showing on the stick. I added a quart, now it BARELY shows on the stick. 2500 miles since my last change. I was thinking about switching to syn, but not sure now...
Old 01-26-2007, 08:15 AM

all of you with low-ish miles should consider getting an aftermarket warranty. Use a good aftermarket warranty like GE Capital. Some used car dealers will sell you a policy. Or you can check online or with your state insurance department for reputable companies. They all cover the engine and while they do come to inspect the car before accepting you, they probably dont do a compression test on your engine.

So if 4 months into a 12 month warranty... you suddenly have oil loss.... yadda yadda yadda.

I'm sure nobody on these forums would buy a warranty when they already know their engines are failing.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:20 AM
♠♠♠♠♠

the point is they can use that warranty to get the engine fixed..
Old 01-26-2007, 01:50 PM
Cletus

the point is they can use that warranty to get the engine fixed..
well i still have powertrain warranty left...but nissan is refusing to fix.
working the issue right now...letter will be sent to nissan na by next week
Old 01-28-2007, 08:20 PM
no more maxima...

Sorry to see that it has come to this. I was strongly considering a 5.5gen or a 3.5 Altima to replace my current car, however I don't think I will go that route anymore. Are there any signs to look for other than monitoring the oil level, that a VQ35 is burning oil? No blow by smoke or any visible leaks eh? Damn this sucks for potential buyers as well as current owners alike.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:42 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by kingrukus
Sorry to see that it has come to this. I was strongly considering a 5.5gen or a 3.5 Altima to replace my current car, however I don't think I will go that route anymore. Are there any signs to look for other than monitoring the oil level, that a VQ35 is burning oil? No blow by smoke or any visible leaks eh? Damn this sucks for potential buyers as well as current owners alike.
i have developed blow by smoke (during hard acceleration). i know the problem is getting worse because i didnt used to have it. now i have it and it losing 1 1/2 qt every 1K miles instead of 1.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:22 PM

dang - well that rules out "living with it". One of the options I was considering was to keep the car and just keep adding one quart every 1000. But if it progressively gets worse - I better jump ship now.

Warranty work is not an option for me - im at 75000 miles and rising rapidly
Old 02-05-2007, 03:44 PM
Cletus

This is the letter being mailed to Nissan North America tomorrow -

PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS WITHOUT PERMISSION
Property of GrahaMedia

February 6, 2007

Nissan North America Inc.
Consumer Affairs Department
P.O. Box 685003
Franklin, TN, 37068-5003

Sent Via Certified Mail

Re: Denial of warranty service for VIN XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

To Whom it May Concern:

Per the recommended course of action laid out in the Nissan North America warranty document, this letter serves to inform you that my vehicle—a 2002 Nissan Maxima SE (A33 VQ35DE 6-Speed), VIN XXXXXXXXXXXXXX—has been refused service under the existing powertrain warranty by Nissan North America and to inform you of the redress I am seeking.

The circumstances are as follows:

- The vehicle has a specific warranty problem—an identified oil consumption issue which is outlined in the attached timeline—which has been acknowledged and documented by the service staff at XX Nissan of Springfield, VA.

- This problem has not been properly and fully repaired due to a recent denial of service by Nissan North America due to a “lack of maintenance records.”

- Nissan has made numerous repairs and conducted tests on the vehicle under warranty for the oil consumption problem to this point, as indicated in the attached timeline and service record.

- This willingness to service the vehicle for the oil consumption problem under warranty constitutes acceptance of the problem as one covered under warranty.

- Therefore, proper repairs to remedy the identified oil consumption problem must continue to be made under warranty.

Based on the situation as outlined above, I believe that the denial of service and refusal to honor the warranty is groundless and I am asking the following:

- I am seeking full and complete repair of the oil consumption problem, as identified and recommended by Nissan service staff, under the factory powertrain warranty.

- Should it be necessary, I reserve my right to seek compensation for any incidental or consequential costs incurred by me in the resolution of this issue.

- Should Nissan North America continue to deny service for the identified oil consumption problem under the existing powertrain warranty, I will seek arbitration through an arbitration program that complies with the Federal Trade Commission’s arbitration regulations as laid out in the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

To follow is a full timeline of the identified oil consumption problem for this vehicle, including all testing and service performed by Nissan under warranty. You will also find attached copies of the maintenance and service records for the vehicle related to this problem.

Should it be necessary, I am prepared to provide the full service/maintenance record for this vehicle, including signed affidavits from individuals who witnessed maintenance performed on the car by the owner.

A reply to this letter via certified mail which addresses all requests made within is required within ten (10) business days of receipt. Your letter should be submitted to the address indicated on page one (1) of the letter.

I look forward to your timely response and to resolving this matter in an efficient manner.

Sincerely,

Jason Taylor

Attached: Timeline of Oil Consumption Problem for Vehicle
Service/Maintenance Record for Vehicle

CC: Service Manager, XX Nissan of Springfield, VA

Timeline of the Oil Consumption Problem for Vehicle
(VIN XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX)

- Car purchased, 21 April 2005: 37245
- Oil changed by owner (using Redline Synthetic 5W30): 40245
- Oil changed by owner (using Redline Synthetic 5W30): 43245
- Oil changed by owner (using Redline Synthetic 5W30): 46245
- Problem identified by owner (timing chain rattle and check of oil level): 47200
- Oil changed by Jiffy Lube (conventional 5W30 in attempt to fix problem): 47280
- Problem still existed, conventional oil did not fix problem: 48300
- Taken to XX Nissan for diagnosis: 48364
- Return to XX to check oil level (1 quart low): 49272
- Owner deployed to Afghanistan, November 2005.
- Owner returned from Afghanistan, May 2006.
- Oil change at Jiffy Lube (1 quart low; conventional 5W30): 52972
- Return to XX for replacement of PCV valve under warranty: 54705
- Go to XX for replacement of right valve cover under warranty: 55830
- Return to XX for replacement of oil pan under warranty: 55831 (note: mileage incorrectly recorded by dealership; should be 56730)
- Return to XX for replacement of left valve cover under warranty: 58145
- Return to XX to check oil level (1 quart low): 59145
- XX conducts cylinder compression and cylinder leak down tests on vehicle.
- Phone conversation with service manager of XX Nissan. He stated that “Nissan North America Tech has recommended a new engine. We are waiting for the warranty department to approve it,” January 2007.
- Service manager called to tell owner that “Nissan has denied the warranty claim due to lake of maintenance records,” January 2007.

Quick Reply: Oil loss - diagnosis from dealership