5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

How long is our resonator & How hard is it 2 uninstall Bpipe

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 11:14 PM
wat

How long is our resonator & How hard is it 2 uninstall Bpipe

Hey guys does anyone have any measuremeants of our reasonator? Also, how hard would it be to take off only the B-pipe, Im planning on getting one of those 20 dollar glasspack cherrybomb thingys and taking it to my buddy's place and installing it.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:56 PM
Drug Money

Originally Posted by chopstix2nrz
Hey guys does anyone have any measuremeants of our reasonator? Also, how hard would it be to take off only the B-pipe, Im planning on getting one of those 20 dollar glasspack cherrybomb thingys and taking it to my buddy's place and installing it.
lol. get a catback exhaust and call it a day. You're 17 and you're new to this scene i guess. I was too (but im still 17 kekekeke)
Old 08-10-2006, 02:21 AM
wat

I just want a deeper sound i already have y pipe, test pipe, and stock exhaust. and i dont belive anyone exept steven88 is running all aftermarket exhaust exept the rear section, i wanna know what it sounds like on the 3.0. I really dont feel like dishing out like 100 sumthing dollars for something that i really dont want... id get a catback or something if i had boost or spray, but i dont so i see no real reason to get bigger piping. Plus i can get this done in 2 hours and spend 30 dollars at the most... i hope.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:15 AM

I just want a deeper sound i already have y pipe, test pipe, and stock exhaust. and i dont belive anyone exept steven88 is running all aftermarket exhaust exept the rear section, i wanna know what it sounds like on the 3.0. I really dont feel like dishing out like 100 sumthing dollars for something that i really dont want... id get a catback or something if i had boost or spray, but i dont so i see no real reason to get bigger piping. Plus i can get this done in 2 hours and spend 30 dollars at the most... i hope.
Looks like someone did their research.

If your car is not lowered, you should be able to lay on your back and easily measure it yourself. I'd stick with a Thrush glasspack. About same price as the Cherry bomb, but better quality.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:22 AM
wat

Originally Posted by nismopc
Looks like someone did their research.

If your car is not lowered, you should be able to lay on your back and easily measure it yourself. I'd stick with a Thrush glasspack. About same price as the Cherry bomb, but better quality.
I thought they were the same thing.... Oh well the one my friend can sell me at the store is a thrush glasspack and its 25" long, id go out and measure my pipe if the ground wasnt wet... its rained here every day for the past week and i cant find any tape measure
Old 08-10-2006, 05:05 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I don't have any measurements, but assuming your hardware isn't too rusty, removing the b-pipe should take you less than 15 mins with jack and stands.

Since you already have a test pipe on, the hardware on that end should be easy if it was installed recently. My experience has been that the bolts on the flange between the b-pipe and rear section are flimsy though. I broke both the first time I replaced my cat-back, and this was with only about 30k miles on the car.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:33 AM

I thought they were the same thing....
The Thrush glasspacks are made by Dynomax and seem to last quite well for the price. I've had 2 of them on previous cars. Worked very well as a resonator.

The Cherry Bomb is made by I believe it's called Supreme Performance or something like that. I've only "heard" bad things about them. But they are widely used amongst old school hot rod vehicles.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:56 AM
Kevlo for President

The Dynomax one is the only one I have seen that has a perforated core. Most other glasspacks are not and should not be used at all.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:46 AM
wat

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
I don't have any measurements, but assuming your hardware isn't too rusty, removing the b-pipe should take you less than 15 mins with jack and stands.

Since you already have a test pipe on, the hardware on that end should be easy if it was installed recently. My experience has been that the bolts on the flange between the b-pipe and rear section are flimsy though. I broke both the first time I replaced my cat-back, and this was with only about 30k miles on the car.
I hope i dont break the flange, to put on my y-pipe i used some pb blaster and hand tools, at my friends house he has air tools and a welder so if anything does break hopefully we can fix it.

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
The Dynomax one is the only one I have seen that has a perforated core. Most other glasspacks are not and should not be used at all.
Yeah the one im gonna put on the car has a perforated core.

Oh yeah i pulled my car in my mom's spot on the garage got a look under the car and got some rough estimates, it looks like the resonator is only 21-22 in long and taking off the b pipe should be pretty easy.

Thanks for all the input and responses guys, ill try and get this done asap, hehe and ill try and get an exhaust clip for you puppet.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:46 PM

from personal experience removing the b-pipe was a PITA. Only because im exposed to the salt every winter and every bolt and nut is rusted thru. I attempted putting my own exhaust on and ran into 2 probelms. 1. I couldnt get the car high enough to pull the muffler out and 2. Everything was rusted. Seeing that ur from Alabama u shouldnt have too much of a problem on rust. And to answer your question on how long it is.. i think its about a yard? give or take a few inches? Correct me if im wrong anyone.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:36 PM

On my 01 I have all after market. Custom built though, 2 1/2in Y-pipe, No cat, No Bpipe, No Resonator. 3" straight off the y-pipe to the apexi world sport turbo II. At WOT you can hear it a good 4-5 car lengths away.

Changing the resonator wont honestly make the sound deeper. It will free up some flow a bit so it might make it a little louder.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:03 AM

I think the firing order of the 3.0 and the size is gonna make this sound very strange. Probably better to just go without the glasspack, it will be cheaper too.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You can put a cherrybomb or thrush in place of the resonator? How would that sound left w/ the stock muffler?