5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Supercharger Kit For The 3.5 Maximas

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 05:09 AM

Supercharger Kit For The 3.5 Maximas

Go to the Supercharger section and look up the thread about RIPP MODS Supercharger kits for more information. We need peoples input weather or not they would like to have one for their 3.5 maxima's.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

At least post a link to it

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=487140

The thread in this forum will remain open for as long as the discussion is civil and constructive.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
The thread in this forum will remain open for as long as the discussion is civil and constructive.

Old 08-18-2006, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by upstatemax
The sad thing is you're probably right.... look... the whoring has already started...
Old 08-18-2006, 05:50 AM
F---ing Kangaroos

**** **** ***, there is never going to be one.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:51 AM

this is something id LOVE to get, just flat out love it. but when its all said and done, id say the kit would probably be around $5000, plus installation for most of us. some of us will be lucky enough to be able to have Tilley do it, or for the VA-DC-MD gangbang group, they could help each other install it, but thats still a HUGE chunk of change and even tho most of us are NOT cheap (id like anyone to tell me that me, whitem3guy, Jdubs, starchild, hnda eatr, SR20 are cheap), a $5000+ hit all at once is a big deal for a lot of us. the kit is made more expensive by the fact that a S/C for our cars, vs. a S/C for a Z, will generate minimal interest and drive the price up. this is a nice idea, but the site doesnt have enuff interest, IMO, in ***** out performance.

i mean, just look at the 6th gen forum
Old 08-18-2006, 05:57 AM

oh.... that i didnt know how to do. how do i do that?.. oh wait.. you just did !!!!!hahahaha obviously this forum stuff isnt one of my strong points
Old 08-18-2006, 05:59 AM
F---ing Kangaroos

Originally Posted by KCMC582
or for the VA-DC-MD gangbang group

Old 08-18-2006, 06:00 AM

well i asked ROSS the CEO of the company how much its gonna cost becuase of that same simple factor.. TOO MUCH MONEY. and he said they would sell two stages. and the first stage would start at 4000k. i'm sure its a lil lower but i'm not sure by how much. stage 2 would probably be a different story.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:04 AM

yeah.. i understand about the price thing and people not wanting to pay for it. But i just noticed alot of people trying to build their own kits and almost spending the same amount when they couldve had something whole and proven to begin with, without the headache and hassle and MONEY to tamper with and not sure what works and what doesnt.

I'll be honest with you all. If i had the chance, i would get the EVO 10 that is coming out. or just buy another cheap DSM and just spend the 5 grand and make it the 11 to 10 second car like my old gsx. but reliablity wasnt its stong points, plus i love the 4 doors and since its a 3.5, its a great engine.. 3.0's as well and we all know that. so, in other words, just stepping up to a classier vehicle with power..like...........da Max-im-ma!!!! yeeah!
Old 08-18-2006, 06:27 AM

or for the VA-DC-MD gangbang group, they could help each other install it

But I can't afford it...

but thats still a HUGE chunk of change and even tho most of us are NOT cheap (id like anyone to tell me that me, whitem3guy, Jdubs, starchild, hnda eatr, SR20 are cheap)
For each person we know that can and will spend the money, there are about 20 people who are not willing to do so for whatever the reason. I'm sure you've seen all the GD failures, lowballing, etc, that are so prevalent here. Its part of the culture... people are all talk up front and hardly deliver.

the kit is made more expensive by the fact that a S/C for our cars, vs. a S/C for a Z, will generate minimal interest and drive the price up. this is a nice idea, but the site doesnt have enuff interest, IMO, in ***** out performance.
Remember that its also a different crowd here. It seems that people over there on average have more money to spend, even though there are the typical forum cheaps as well.

And the fact that we have a FWD platform, there are different goals for the car and also certain limits to what can be done. Not everyone is as hardcore as Mardi, Tilley, Nealoc, Jime, Dandy, eng92, SR20DEN, Bejay, Spaniard, Blehm, Pimpjuice, etc etc. I hope you see what I'm getting at here.

In saying that, I still give Midnite credit for trying to get this done, even though it has failed repeatedly in the past. Who knows? We may actually get the ten 5.5/6th Gens to get a kit made and maybe change the way things have been.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:34 AM
+Cru OG

I don't venture too much in the SC/TC module much but from reading the posted links, it seems like this power adder's target market are maximas with manual transmissions. I happen to like my automatic and would love to have an application for such.

Money, as everyone have pointed out, can be one of the obstacles to purchase such kit. If this kit will come to fruition, I wonder if it can be purchased piecemeal instead of a "kit." Will this kit require an engine rebuild (stronger internal parts, etc.) or can a stock motor and transmission hold its longevity/reliability with the kit installed? I'm aware that in most cases FI motors/transmission require a rebuild of some sort to make most of the kit (in which case, most of us can't afford). When/If this kit is proven and tested and within reach, I wouldn't mind buying it (piece by piece, that is).
Old 08-18-2006, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by NisMoN00B
Will this kit require an engine rebuild (stronger internal parts, etc.) or can a stock motor and transmission hold its longevity/reliability with the kit installed? I'm aware that in most cases FI motors/transmission require a rebuild of some sort to make most of the kit (in which case, most of us can't afford). When/If this kit is proven and tested and within reach, I wouldn't mind buying it (piece by piece, that is).
I have little FI knowledge so correct me if I'm wrong here, but AFAIK, stock internals and transmission should hold up to about 400 whp or so. I think Hnda Etr and Pimpjuice where in the 350 whp range with their turbo kits with no internal or transmission work done. Don't quote me on this though. Even if not, couldn't we tap into the existing Z/G market for built VQ35 parts if necessary?
Old 08-18-2006, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
In saying that, I still give Midnite credit for trying to get this done, even though it has failed repeatedly in the past. Who knows? We may actually get the ten 5.5/6th Gens to get a kit made and maybe change the way things have been.
Ill definitley give him credit for getting things started with the company. Hopefully there are enough people to do this, because it will be a nice addition to the 3.5 FWD family, and maybe encourage other mods as well. I just hope we get the people to step forward. i COULD do this, but then the price i spent in mods starts passing what the maxima is worth.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:48 AM

Ok guys.. As for some of you guys who were bold enough to FI there maxima's, you already had alot of experience with it doing the trial and error method.

I've done a pretty good amount of research with the engine to see if its capable of holding up to FI. and the answer to the question whether or not it can hold??? YES!!!! !!!!!!! it can! it can handle up to 350 Wheel hp SAFELY.. for those of you bold peeps, pushing more than that limit, your hitting the safety cushion and then your potentially gonna have problems.

I told them, I WANT A SEDAN LIKE OUR MAXIMAS' AUTO OR MANUAL, TO HAVE A KIT.. and i made that as straight forward to them as i possibly could make it. and they totally understand. Cuz most of our maxima's and altima's are auto's with a select few.. Hell, i havent even SEEN a manual Maxima! hahaha.. SO... having that said..

The next question is, can the transmission hold up?? YES it can! BUT.........now here's the kicker for you auto peeps.. it is HIGHLY recommended on getting AT LEAST the Valve body upgrade. As we know the torque converter in a basic sense is our Clutch. so when the tranny shifts quicker, it doesnt slip and doesnt burn the tranny up. The setup im planning on going with, *and this is from a few transmission places.. EVEN FROM CATTMAN HIMSELF said* For FI, with that power, the tranny can hold, on the auto's, if you want to go as far as i am, Get the Phantom grip LSD insert into the differential, the upgraded torque converter to stall converter, and the valve body upgrade with the tranny cooler cuz its gonna heat up..

Then i asked them, well compared to the Manuals, wouldnt it be better to have a stick?? in a sense yes. but even with our 4 speed autos, with those mods done, you'll be as fast *if not a Teeeeeeeeeeny bit faster* than the 6 speeds, because with an auto, when it shifts, its always a forward motion. with a manual, once you press the clutch and switch gears, *even though you have those speedy shifters out there* there is that time laps where the boost releases and then has to build back up when you floor it again in the next gear. Thats why with auto's, even though its only 4 gears, since its always a forward motion, your gonna have steady boost. and with the tranny upgrades, and the shifts quick or quicker *in some peoples cases* than the manuals. there is constant boost, and you dont miss a gear. *ouch*

thats why in a sense a supercharger is a way to go cuz it builds boost as the rpms go up from the get go. with a turbo, you waiting for the boost as we all know. if you have a big turbo like i had, dude, it sucked around city. but on the highway and even though that i would be going, i would have to wait for the boost. unless you had a 2 step, where you can floor it and just switch gears without releasing the pedal, then i guess your good.

So Like i said.. For the LONGest time, the 3.0's were it. they had the companies making things for them and so on and so forth. But from now and for a while in the future *from what nissan sais* the 3.5's are here to stay for awhile. ever since 2002 with 3.5's, its about time we got something for the 3.5's to play with yah?
Old 08-18-2006, 08:50 AM

oh and yes, the bottom end of the maxima's, altima's g35 and 35-z's are ALL the same internals. the upper is the difference. So rebuilding the engine with some 350 parts would be the same as the maxima's anyways, so its no difference. but yes, buying performance after market, 350 stuff will work
Old 08-18-2006, 09:29 AM
Drug Money

Originally Posted by MidN1te
Then i asked them, well compared to the Manuals, wouldnt it be better to have a stick?? in a sense yes. but even with our 4 speed autos, with those mods done, you'll be as fast *if not a Teeeeeeeeeeny bit faster* than the 6 speeds, because with an auto, when it shifts, its always a forward motion. with a manual, once you press the clutch and switch gears, *even though you have those speedy shifters out there* there is that time laps where the boost releases and then has to build back up when you floor it again in the next gear. Thats why with auto's, even though its only 4 gears, since its always a forward motion, your gonna have steady boost. and with the tranny upgrades, and the shifts quick or quicker *in some peoples cases* than the manuals. there is constant boost, and you dont miss a gear. *ouch*

um. how come on my friend's TT MKIV Supra automatic, when it shifts, it blows off? Not too familiar with automatic cars, but I'm pretty sure it's an electronically controlled TB.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:34 AM

how fast does it shift? and yeah, its gonna blow off, thats what its for, But if it shifts slow, ofcourse its gonna blow off, if he's under load, its gonna blow off quicker, cuz its shifting faster, just like a slow shifting person with a manual. the faster the shift, the faster the blow by. when an automatic shifts, doesnt it drop RPMS to shift to the next gear? when it drops, it vents..
Old 08-18-2006, 09:36 AM
Drug Money

how fast does it shift? and yeah, its gonna blow off, thats what its for, But if it shifts slow, ofcourse its gonna blow off, if he's under load, its gonna blow off quicker, cuz its shifting faster, just like a slow shifting person with a manual. the faster the shift, the faster the blow by. when an automatic shifts, doesnt it drop RPMS to shift to the next gear? when it drops, it vents..
hehe i shift heeeeeecka slow

Old 08-18-2006, 09:39 AM
westler92

Here is the thing. If it was 4k-5k plus 1k to install.......that would be one thing. But the thing that scares ppl the most with a SC or TC is the fact of continual maintenence. Once you bolt a supercharger on, anything and everything can happen. I was a diehard Mustang driver, and we use to slap Vortech's on like they were CAI's......due to the simple facts that (1) There were lots of sources for the install (2) Lots of sources for troubleshooting (3) These kits were made specifically for the 5.0 Mustang

Now these other kits, I dont know about it. Sourcing for parts is so not uber cool. You need a one stop shop for ppl to feel comfortable. Becuz when problems do arise, troubleshooting is very expensive if you dont know how to do it yourself. Its not really a matter of ppl being cheap or not wanting ***** out performance......its mainly ppl who dont feel comfortable being left a little in the dark

Old 08-18-2006, 12:19 PM

thats a very very good point i thought about and didnt say Westler. When you start to modify it from the beginning, it becomes a monitoring game. Its a the fast of the modifying world yah?

but when you have a great company to do it, and reference to and ask whatever it is you need to ask, it gives you a warm, fuzzy feeling all over that you have a source to go to!.. fuzzy.... :-D.. i likey da fuzzy!
Old 08-18-2006, 02:03 PM
westler92

thats a very very good point i thought about and didnt say Westler. When you start to modify it from the beginning, it becomes a monitoring game. Its a the fast of the modifying world yah?

but when you have a great company to do it, and reference to and ask whatever it is you need to ask, it gives you a warm, fuzzy feeling all over that you have a source to go to!.. fuzzy.... :-D.. i likey da fuzzy!

Let me take a lil look at the company that is offering a SC kit. Becuz when I tke my motor to be rebuilt, I would most likely be throwing something like that on as well....

Old 08-18-2006, 11:20 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Good luck with your ecu after a blower .
Old 08-19-2006, 06:25 AM
westler92

Originally Posted by KLOOGY
Good luck with your ecu after a blower .
+1

But you can get that rectified pretty easily in this day and age......

Old 08-19-2006, 01:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys, long time reader, first-time poster. Listen, I'm one of the few people on the forum with a Maxima and a G35, and what concerns me is the approach some have to their cars at Maxima.org. Some people seem to do just enough to their cars, but want the world (tons of cheap parts), but expect quality. It just won't happen that way. I would love to be able to buy a SC blower kit for my '02 Maxima, but I have to keep in mind that if I'm to do so, then I better prepare to put down the cash to make it happen. The reason there's so much of a buzz on the Z & G sites, is because those guys know that $4 to $5k for a kit is expected. Besides, the stock 3.5 is know (and feared) for what it's capable of doing. The tranny as well. I applaud all of those guys willing to be guinea pigs for the rest of us who either didn't have time, money, or the guts to try. Thanks for being our R&D team. As far as the ECU, why don't we talk to Technosquare to see what they can do.
Old 08-19-2006, 01:13 PM

Techno square is good at what they do. However, to have them relash our ecu's, is gonna be kinda tuff with the supercharger kit. Its recommended *in my personal opinion* to have the supercharger makers take care of that, cuz they are the ones that would know what to do with it. Now.. if people wanna go and get an emanage and do it, its gonna be easier in my mind than going to technosquare. Cuz they are gonna have to reconfigure the settings for the car, without having the car. unless someone drives over there and puts it on the dyno.

Let these guys at ripp mods handle that.
Old 08-19-2006, 01:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I only assumed Techno square since, they seem to be one of the few reputable places out there (besides, it would be pretty easy for one of the SoCal Maxima guys to get a kit & have them dyno as well). What's most important, is to get others (5.5 gen Maximas, 6th gen Max's, 3.5 Altima's, & I35's) excited about the possiblities. Even Quest owners (can you imagine a SC'd minivan)? The goal is to get more people on board, so the kit can be a reality. Remember when people said you couldn't turbocharge a vq30?
Old 08-19-2006, 01:57 PM
westler92

Originally Posted by tpayne12no
I only assumed Techno square since, they seem to be one of the few reputable places out there (besides, it would be pretty easy for one of the SoCal Maxima guys to get a kit & have them dyno as well). What's most important, is to get others (5.5 gen Maximas, 6th gen Max's, 3.5 Altima's, & I35's) excited about the possiblities. Even Quest owners (can you imagine a SC'd minivan)? The goal is to get more people on board, so the kit can be a reality. Remember when people said you couldn't turbocharge a vq30?

I can see a SC Murano before I see a SC Quest. A SC Quest would just be dumb

Old 08-19-2006, 02:15 PM

thats why in a sense a supercharger is a way to go cuz it builds boost as the rpms go up from the get go. with a turbo, you waiting for the boost as we all know. if you have a big turbo like i had, dude, it sucked around city. but on the highway and even though that i would be going, i would have to wait for the boost. unless you had a 2 step, where you can floor it and just switch gears without releasing the pedal, then i guess your good.
Um supercharger doesn't build boost..rather turbo cars build boost b/c it runs off the exhaust. Since s/c runns off of belts and such..boost is there right off the line!

g/l w/ getting the s/c made for 3.5's. As for auto's wanting to run s/c don't waste the time..with the money your going to invest to make the tranny hold the power plus the cost of the s/c kit..you could have just purchased an evo 8. ;-)

Chas
Old 08-19-2006, 02:16 PM
retired moderator

the VA-DC-MD gangbang group,:
Please do not lump VA in with DC or MD ever again. Evar!
Old 08-19-2006, 02:30 PM
Droppin logs

Originally Posted by acidbbg
Um supercharger doesn't build boost..rather turbo cars build boost b/c it runs off the exhaust. Since s/c runns off of belts and such..boost is there right off the line!

g/l w/ getting the s/c made for 3.5's. As for auto's wanting to run s/c don't waste the time..with the money your going to invest to make the tranny hold the power plus the cost of the s/c kit..you could have just purchased an evo 8. ;-)

Chas

You are aware that there are more than one auto S/C maxima running around...
Old 08-19-2006, 03:23 PM

I would love to see a SC kit for my 3.5 Maxima. I plan on going SC when I graduate from college in 2 years. Having a kit designed to work specifically with my car would make me feel a little better about doing.

Having a kit for our cars would probably result in more people like myself going FI. If more people do it, there are more people to find the bugs and thus after some time people will know exactly what to expect when going FI on their 3.5 maxima therefor casting light on that "dark" road.

If a kit is made, I will buy it. End of story.
Old 08-19-2006, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by D-Bo
You are aware that there are more than one auto S/C maxima running around...
from all the posts..i have gone through..it seems that max tranny's aren't well equiped to handle the power that's delivered from a sc b/c of the instant boost. Turbo's aren't nearly as bad b/c boost builds as the rpms increase which is a little easier on the tranny.

chas
Old 08-20-2006, 06:09 AM
westler92

Originally Posted by acidbbg
from all the posts..i have gone through..it seems that max tranny's aren't well equiped to handle the power that's delivered from a sc b/c of the instant boost. Turbo's aren't nearly as bad b/c boost builds as the rpms increase which is a little easier on the tranny.

chas

Any car that is TC or SC is continual maintenence. I really dont think the "countdown" till tranny destruction (nh) is more evident in an auto than in a manual.

Also a modified torque converter would eliminate 99% of any of those type of worries. Along with a transcooler and a stage 3 VB mod from maximum tuning...

Old 08-20-2006, 07:30 AM

Well.. i dont know if you are away, but superchargers build boost too. your right about the exhaust on the turbo's and the belts on the superchargers. But the turbo builds boost from the exhuast gases, and it lags and lags til it hits.

and ofcouse since the belt turns the turbine in the supercharger, its builds boost as fast as the rpms go. Thats why its ready at the idle. But yes it builds boost like a turbo.

Well the Transmissions WILL handle the boost.. no matter if its a supercharger or turbo charger, when its under load, its under load. And westler was right as well. That tranny just needs the torque converter to be upgraded and the valve body... people are paying 4 to 500 for clutches and the then some for the flywheel when the upgraded stall converter is 600 bucks.. then the valve body is a little exspensive.. around 700 bucks. But that combination with the Phantom Grip in the Differential in the tranny, would REALLY help with traction..

AND IF I HAD THE MONEY. I WOULD BUY THE EVO 10 COMING OUT!!!!!!!!hahahah that would solve alot of my problems!
Old 08-20-2006, 09:24 AM

That's funny..b/c my maxima is my in between car..I just got out of a 2002 mazda protege5 turbo. Pushing well over 300hp. I didn't have enough money to buy the evo 8..so i have purchased the maxima to hold me over so i can save! For the evo or the new skyline gtr.

Chas
Old 08-20-2006, 01:46 PM
westler92

Well.. i dont know if you are away, but superchargers build boost too. your right about the exhaust on the turbo's and the belts on the superchargers. But the turbo builds boost from the exhuast gases, and it lags and lags til it hits.

and ofcouse since the belt turns the turbine in the supercharger, its builds boost as fast as the rpms go. Thats why its ready at the idle. But yes it builds boost like a turbo.

Well the Transmissions WILL handle the boost.. no matter if its a supercharger or turbo charger, when its under load, its under load. And westler was right as well. That tranny just needs the torque converter to be upgraded and the valve body... people are paying 4 to 500 for clutches and the then some for the flywheel when the upgraded stall converter is 600 bucks.. then the valve body is a little exspensive.. around 700 bucks. But that combination with the Phantom Grip in the Differential in the tranny, would REALLY help with traction..

AND IF I HAD THE MONEY. I WOULD BUY THE EVO 10 COMING OUT!!!!!!!!hahahah that would solve alot of my problems!

Former big time Mustang driver here. I have done enuff SC and TC stangs to shake a stick at. As soon as I get 12k in the bank I will be attemting a TT into the Max. From the looks of it, this will be my biggest challenge yet.

Old 08-20-2006, 02:14 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Question, wont the consumption of gas increase due to the high rpms created by the supercharger and turbocharger? Wont it also require larger injectors? And with gas prices that keep going up, does anyone really want to do this?

heh just wondering
Old 08-20-2006, 05:24 PM

well to answer your question about the gas, yes, it will go up. you drive your car normally and not under load and boosting all the time, you should be alright. keep hitting that gas, your gonna loose it quickly cuz all that air intake needs to be matched with the fuel. but thats part of the game you play. But my max seems to be getting around 380 and i live in the city..
Old 08-21-2006, 03:41 AM
westler92

well to answer your question about the gas, yes, it will go up. you drive your car normally and not under load and boosting all the time, you should be alright. keep hitting that gas, your gonna loose it quickly cuz all that air intake needs to be matched with the fuel. but thats part of the game you play. But my max seems to be getting around 380 and i live in the city..

+1

Under normal driving conditions, your MPG will stay relatively the same. Using boost uses fuel. No fuel no power

I got a friend using a Lysholm supercharger on his app. I wanted to take pictures to show yall, but he refused based on his hardwork being given out for free. He drives a Miata and is using the supercharger off a Millenia. For the amount of weight it adds vs the HP he is dyno-ing...it seems to be a beast. But I think using one of those on our cars would not be beneficial to those of us trying to break our necks

Quick Reply: Supercharger Kit For The 3.5 Maximas