5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

question about basic NOS kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2001, 10:59 PM

about the basic NOS kit from JC Whitney... if i get it how does the unit work... i arm the system and then what happends? i press the button to spray myself or does it automatically spray? do i pump something? explain to me how it will work... thanks
-danny
Old 06-25-2001, 12:40 AM

Most of the time it's a switch or pre programmed nitrous points.
Old 06-25-2001, 05:28 AM

Originally posted by footemps
Most of the time it's a switch or pre programmed nitrous points.

a switch that push myself? do i hold it down until im done or do i press it and then it sprays for 10 sec and shuts off? what do you mean pre programmed nitrous points... like when it turns on and off by itself? that is called a window switch... that is more $$ i know its not included in that kit... i wanna know exactly how it works in that kit...
Old 06-25-2001, 07:40 AM

the system that i was lookin at you flip a switch to arm it and at WOT (wide open throttle) it will spray not any other time put when the pedal is to the floor...... there is a trigger that you place under the pedal so that it can activate when you floor it which makes sense to me! that is the type of system that i am getting..... i have seen it in action and i like it alot!
Old 06-25-2001, 08:55 AM

so lets say ur going 40ish and u slam on the gas and the NOS boosts... then ur tranny shifts... (cause u have an automagic) so does the NOS know to let off or does it keep spraying while it shifts? i heard its really bad to keep spraying while ur shifting and thats why when u install a window switch it disengages the NOS when it reaches like 5500 RPM so u can shift gears...
Old 06-25-2001, 09:11 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

I heard that you should let the car downshift before you spray... but I don't know much about nitrous. Boost baby! Boost!!! Pssssshhhhhhhhh
Old 06-25-2001, 09:16 AM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
I heard that you should let the car downshift before you spray... but I don't know much about nitrous. Boost baby! Boost!!! Pssssshhhhhhhhh

yea i would let it down shift... but how bout upshift...
down shift is easy to control... u just spray after... but i heard its bad to keep spraying while it shifts up too
Old 06-25-2001, 10:16 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by psing23

yea i would let it down shift... but how bout upshift...
down shift is easy to control... u just spray after... but i heard its bad to keep spraying while it shifts up too
From what I've seen, people shut it off at about 6300 to 6400.
Old 06-25-2001, 02:28 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Nitrous kits these days...

are very simple. Most of them require the driver to simly push a toggle switch and then floor the car. Some work a little differently from each other but for the most part they are the same. It will not hurt you to let the car shift at the same time as nitrous is coming into the engine. You will loose alot of time in the 1/4 if you do that. I just turn on the bottle and push a switch and then once the car reachs full throttle like will said you go. AND BY THE WAY ONCE YOU GUYS ACTUALLY RIDE IN A MAX WITH NITROUS YOU WILL NEVER GO WITH OUT IT. I JUST THOUGHT THAT I WOULD GIVE YOU THIS FAIR WARNING. I HAVE TOTALLY BECOME A BOTTLE BABY!!! Also it is so much fun when you spank a turbo charged car because it took them forever to boost up and you go from the start. OOOOOOooooAAAAAAAaaaHHHHHHhhh!!
Old 06-25-2001, 02:58 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: Nitrous kits these days...

Originally posted by nvmymax2
Also it is so much fun when you spank a turbo charged car because it took them forever to boost up and you go from the start. OOOOOOooooAAAAAAAaaaHHHHHHhhh!!
Uhhhmmmmm..... NOS engages at a certain RPM... a turbo spools up and boosts at a certain RPM, so I don't see how it would take forever.

When do you start spraying?
Old 06-25-2001, 03:11 PM

Re: Re: Nitrous kits these days...

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

Uhhhmmmmm..... NOS engages at a certain RPM... a turbo spools up and boosts at a certain RPM, so I don't see how it would take forever.

When do you start spraying?
KEV where exactly did you get that NOS engages at a certain RPM. I can spray at any RPM I want. All I have to do is engage it from a dead stop or already moving and then floor the car and "GO BABY GO". Sorry Kev NOS beats turbo and super in quarter everytime. Just ask MardiGrasMax (who now has the best of both worlds), he will back me on this one.

I have beat a turbo charged eclipse 5sp and a turbocharged stealth 5sp in the quarter because the turbo takes too long. It is a different story in a race that goes a long way, but in the quarter there just isn't enough room. Don't get me wrong I would love to have boost but I would still have the spray so that I could have a good launch while the other is "spooling up".
Old 06-25-2001, 03:29 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: Re: Re: Nitrous kits these days...

KEV where exactly did you get that NOS engages at a certain RPM. I can spray at any RPM I want. All I have to do is engage it from a dead stop or already moving and then floor the car and "GO BABY GO". Sorry Kev NOS beats turbo and super in quarter everytime. Just ask MardiGrasMax (who now has the best of both worlds), he will back me on this one.

I have beat a turbo charged eclipse 5sp and a turbocharged stealth 5sp in the quarter because the turbo takes too long. It is a different story in a race that goes a long way, but in the quarter there just isn't enough room. Don't get me wrong I would love to have boost but I would still have the spray so that I could have a good launch while the other is "spooling up".
I see guys using window switches (i.e. sx7r) for their nitrous. Again, I'm on the nitrous issue. As far as I can see, nitrous will beat turbo or SC'ed cars until it goes empty. Then, as someone else said, you'll be a slow bastard again.

You beat a Stealth R/T? Last time you said you ran high 14's, which is slower than the R/T's (3000GT VR4) time.
Old 06-25-2001, 05:12 PM

so what happends if i engage the NOS before i start moving and then i floor the car... will it spray the NOS from a dead stop? so then i would just be spinning out right cause it wouldnt be able to hold that traction...
and lets say also if my foot is already planted on the gas all the way down and the NOS is off and then i engage it... will the boost go on as soon as i flip the switch or will i have to let off the gas a little and then slam it again?

im also about NOS but i really wanna learn about it cause i wanna get it real soon
Old 06-25-2001, 05:14 PM

Stealth issue...

Let me explain the stealth issue: First the driver sucks. Second, there is a big difference where I live racing in the daytime versus night (due to temperature). I always drag during the day, and street race at night. Therefore I also don't have to deal with the sticky conditions at the track. Don't get me wrong it was still close and yes once we passed the 1/4 he blew by me very swiftly, but my statement was for the quarter.

Also KEV what is it that you are running. High 15's !! DOH !! No flaming meant but don't try to talk about something that you don't know anything about. As far as I am concerned a win is a win, no matter what "times" you run.

Peace Blake
Old 06-25-2001, 05:41 PM

Re: Stealth issue...

Also KEV what is it that you are running. High 15's !! DOH !! No flaming meant but don't try to talk about something that you don't know anything about. As far as I am concerned a win is a win, no matter what "times" you run.

Peace Blake

yo man chill out... why u getting on Kevs bad side? what did he say or do to cause u to say something like that... so when puts in his supercharger or whatever the hell he wants to put in and blows by your car it will give him the right to say something other than he said? both of you have a lot of info to share and i wanna hear everything i could but please you shouldnt get sarcastic... he didnt know the situation just like no one else did... He as did I assumed that it was at the strip since u did say 1/4 mi... well I hope this doesnt start anything... and it ends right her... we are a FAMILY here!!
Old 06-26-2001, 07:46 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: Stealth issue...

Let me explain the stealth issue: First the driver sucks. Second, there is a big difference where I live racing in the daytime versus night (due to temperature). I always drag during the day, and street race at night. Therefore I also don't have to deal with the sticky conditions at the track. Don't get me wrong it was still close and yes once we passed the 1/4 he blew by me very swiftly, but my statement was for the quarter.

Peace Blake
You beat the driver of the Stealth, not the car. Street racing and real 1/4 mile racing is totally different. There are too many variables in street racing....

High 15's? Hehehehe Let's say I ran faster than the first time you sprayed. Don't worry about my quarter mile... in due time my friend, we'll see who laughs last.