5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Does your Max experience the "shakes"?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 01:52 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Does your Max experience the "shakes"?

I love my car but after 5 years I'm really starting to grow old of the way the car rides. When I'm driving, I always feel like there's a constant jiggle. Not the kind of shaking you get with out of balance wheels. It's more like a subtle left and right shake as the car rolls over uneven pavement. I remember the car felt this way even when it was new. I replaced the struts a while back to Tokico adjustables but that hasn't made a difference. I've got Michelin Pilot Sports A/S for tires but that shouldn't make a difference either.

I recently drove a G35 that was nice and smooth. I even rented a Chevy Impala on a recent vacation that drove nice and smooth.

Has anyone else experienced this shaking?
Old 08-22-2006, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by steelymatt
<....When I'm driving, I always feel like there's a constant jiggle.......It's more like a subtle left and right shake as the car rolls over uneven pavement
This is difficult to comment on because you explain that the vibration
does not feel the same as an "out of balance" vibration, however you
advise that it does feel like a left to right vibration (which would indicate
that it IS similar to an out of balance wheel).

Here are some basics to keep in mind:
A high frequency vibration is most likely caused by a problem with
one or more wheels (rim or tire). The problem can be with a radial
imperfection (low or high spot on tire or rim), or a lateral imperfection
(bent rim, improperly balanced wheel or bad tire). Without going
into too much detail on how to detect the subtle differences, I would
suggest that you replace each of your wheels (one at a time) with your
spare, and go for a test drive. See if you can determine which wheel
is bad.

For a LOW frequency vibration (like a feeling that the front end is "wandering"
a little left and right while driving, I would suspect the ball joints first
and foremost. An alignment may also be worthwhile.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:03 AM
Fortuna Favet Fortibus

I can understand this I think. My car has a left/right shimmy that feels like it is just slightly out of balance at highway speeds. Dont really notice it much on regular roads but I kind of write that off because the regular roads are usually a tad uneven to say the least. If you had a bad rim or something most times they can see it when they spin up the tires to balance them. But there are always sneaky problems. Now I have year old rims, brand new Toyos and had the guys who initially mounted the tires balance all four, then Roadforce balanceed and aligned at another place, then had them redo the balance and I still have a slight back and forth. Cant imagine what it could be on the car but it makes me feel better in a slightly selfish way to hear I am not alone with not thinking the ride is too smooth on the highway.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:02 AM

I personally feel that my max takes the highway very well.

I have driven a myriad of cars i my day. And while the maxima is not the stickiest it isnt a bad driving car. I dont have this "shimmy" problem in my max. In fact, I just took an extinsive road trip with some friends and they all commented on how smooth it was (granted we were on FL roads which are some of the best kept in the country in my opinion). Also in comparing with the G35 I could be mistaken but I think it has a wider frame thus being more stable at higher speeds.

Plus, you are kind of comparing something that the maxima is not supposed to compete with. I drive my brothers avalon ever so often and in comparision on the maxima is leaps and bounds better suspension wise.

I would look at all your settings camber, alignment, tires etc.... Also I know madmax has one but a rear strutbar goes a long way. Also SteelyMatt do you ahve aftermarket springs. After I got my eibach springs the handling difference was drastic coupled with struts. With the lower it helps the car in my opinion feel more stuck and solid on the ground. Just some advice.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:36 AM
No More Maxipad

right now my car is pretty smooth. i changed my stock shocks to tokico blues because they were all worn out and i changed my stock tires to some softer and quieter tires. that certainly made the ride smoother and even going over uneven roads the car feels smooth. only if the road is super uneven or have those sudden 1 in dropp or whatnot then that'll feel rough lol but i think the max is not suppose to be super smooth like other cars. it's supppose to be more sportier than other sedans so i'm guessing that's why the suspension is stiffer. i've learned to live with it cuz it drives pretty well on the fwy stock compared to my accord stock. feels more control
Old 08-22-2006, 10:20 AM

I experiancing same problem its based on the my alignment is went off i will need my cambers replaced and all bushings i believe it should be ok from there...
Old 08-22-2006, 06:34 PM

I have the same problem. It is really annoying, but for me it only happens at freeway speeds and only certain highways.