5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

OEM springs question

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 04:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

OEM springs question

While I was at the dealership today picking up some oil filters and drain plug washer and screw I asked for the part number on the front and rear OEM springs for an 03 SE. I already knew that the GLE/GXE have different part # from the SE due to the stiffer springs in the rear, but why does autos and 6 speeds have different part# for the front springs. The GLE/GXE/SE autos all used the same part # for the front springs, but 6 speeds had a different part # for the front springs. I am guessing due to the higher weight on the front of auto equiped cars, but Ive never heard of another car manufactur doing this. Would there be any issues with putting OEM auto front springs on a 6 speed??????
Old 08-23-2006, 08:01 AM

My thoughts were correct when I assumed that the previous owner of my 03 6speed replaced the rear springs with GLE springs. My buddy just put the SE springs I purchased from orger 03maxima1(great guy) on the car and now its a completely different car. Why anyone would buy a 6 speed and do this is beyond me. The car would pitch and dive so bad on launches and the car just felt unsporty. GLE springs are really soft compared with SE springs. Now I am very happy with the car. Thanks Nick!!!!!!!
Old 08-23-2006, 09:44 AM
I C U

I would assume that they had a aftermarket setup before selling/trading the car, didn't have the original springs and grabbed whatever they could.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by illlojik
I would assume that they had a aftermarket setup before selling/trading the car, didn't have the original springs and grabbed whatever they could.
I thought the same thing, but when I brought the car I had the alignment checked and it was perfect. So why do an aligment on a car you are about to trade and I highly doubt the dealer did one
Old 08-23-2006, 12:35 PM

Interesting thread...

I am in a similar delimma. I am also trying to figure out if I should replace my GXE springs with SE springs. I tried searching but there is no info on if the SE springs are any stiffer, or even if they are any different than the GXE springs until now.

I have been trying to sort out ride and handleing issues of my 2k GXE ever since I got it. At first, it was scary driving down the highway, it liked to shake the rear over the smallest imprefections in the road, it did not like to turn into corners (understeer??) the ride was choppy on regular streets, the was floaty as heck. I replaced the struts with Tokico Blues, alignment, and replaced my 15" steelies with 17" OEM rims (with Blowtenzas). The floaty feeling is mostly gone, it still does not feel planted like my old Accord did. It does not shake its rear on the freeway anymore. It still does not like curves, and now I can feel every imprefection on the street, and the ride is still choppy (but more controled, thanks to the new struts).

My question is, will the SE springs solve my ride and handleing issues? I really don't want a drop or suspension that is too harsh (Hawaii roads suck). Should I go H&R in the front, and SE in the back? How are the I30/35(t) springs? Are they any different? My baseline is my stock '92 Accord LX...

PS let me know if this should be in a new thread... don't want to hijack...
Old 08-23-2006, 12:59 PM

Man that's excatly like my car felt. The rear felt like it was doing its own thing and was all over the place over small road in perfections. I've always liked the SE ride. Not harsh at all, very stable and firm. Car stay planted. All you need is SE/I35t(same thing) rear springs. The front springs for all models are the same so thats not the cause of your problem. I am so happy my car is back to normal. Try finding some used SE springs cause new ones are 98.00 ea. and that's not worth it....

Also I noticed that with the GLE springs I could push down on the back of the car and it was easy to push down. Now with the SE springs you can barely move the rear
Old 08-26-2006, 11:58 PM

Ok... just to make sure... will replacing the rear springs with the SE reduce the float of the GXE completely?

I was driving down the freeway at about 60 mph, and I hit a slight bump. I felt the car go UP and then come down. It felt like like I reached the top of my suspension travel. The only positive thing was that I don't think I bottomed out when the car came back down. I am pretty sure a car is not suppose to feel like this.