5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Windshield replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 09:37 AM

Windshield replacement

Im looking to see if anyone has had to have their windshield replaced yet. I had a rock hit mine a couple of days ago and had it sealed today. It still looks like crap, if not worse. Anyway, If I decide to replace it, I know there is no OEM option, but who should I go to? Are there any standards? Im sure glass isnt glass when it comes to windshields. I just want as close to OEM as I can get, if not better. Hopefully better cause the OEM glass sucks anyway.

So if there is anyone here that has had theirs replaced, who did you use? Ive looked at Safelite and Triumph Auto Glass so far.

Thanks all
Old 08-28-2006, 04:28 PM

do not use the chains go to your local indepedent glass shop, do you have glass coverage on your car insurance? if and when you get it done asked the installer to put ppg or lof glass in your car the national chain use sub par aftermarket glass to cut cost . ppg and lof usually fits the best and is dot approved
Old 08-28-2006, 04:28 PM

If you have a compass mirror MAKE SURE they know that. Payless put the wrong windshield in my car despite having asked about the compass at least twice. The payless windshield appears to be cheap crap, it's already pitting (it was replaced in July), but maybe all replacements are like that.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:35 PM

I don't know what chains they have down in KY but up here in MA there are a couple of quality places to turn to. As always, research their rep on the net before deciding

There were no after market replacement windshields available when mine cracked. (picked up a rock following a truck) Fortunately I have glass coverage The replacement was OEM and cost the insurance company $900.00. I paid a small deductable ($50.00 I think).

Good luck...
Old 08-29-2006, 07:11 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Help

I've been a victim of rock pelting semi's. I have about 3 cracks on my windshield and chips to my weak a@# pearl paint. But where exactly would i be able to find a good aftermarket windshield. And also i would like to know if you guys know anything about the rear defrosters because mines were damn near scraped all off.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by celestialking23
I've been a victim of rock pelting semi's. I have about 3 cracks on my windshield and chips to my weak a@# pearl paint. But where exactly would i be able to find a good aftermarket windshield. And also i would like to know if you guys know anything about the rear defrosters because mines were damn near scraped all off.
...... get your own thread!
Old 08-29-2006, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by KidHauler
I don't know what chains they have down in KY but up here in MA there are a couple of quality places to turn to. As always, research their rep on the net before deciding

There were no after market replacement windshields available when mine cracked. (picked up a rock following a truck) Fortunately I have glass coverage The replacement was OEM and cost the insurance company $900.00. I paid a small deductable ($50.00 I think).

Good luck...
Yea, I talked to Dave about getting a new OEM windshield, but they are expensive. I had the chip repaired through my insurance at no cost, but it still looks like crap, if not worse. In KY we have full coverage with no deductable. I want to go OEM, but IIRC, everybody despises OEM windshields. Who knows, I guess Ill just live with it for a while and then see if I can get my insurance to cover the OEM replacement....
Old 08-30-2006, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Maxima-Ness
...... get your own thread!
thanks that was very helpful. i hope everything bad happens to your max. or just the originator sucks
Old 08-30-2006, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Maxima-Ness
<snip> I had the chip repaired through my insurance at no cost, but it still looks like crap, if not worse. In KY we have full coverage with no deductable. <snip>
I'm surprised that the ins co didn't replace the windshield. Did the 'chip' not penetrate all the way through the glass? Otherwise it would be a safety issue.

Is it in the path of your wipers? Will they get chewed up?

Also, what is so bad about the OEM windshield? I've never had any complaints about it (other than poor wiper performance).
Old 08-30-2006, 12:42 PM

thanks that was very helpful. i hope everything bad happens to your max. or just the originator sucks

...newbies....

this thread attracted a lot of them for some reason, not that they were all bad.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:52 PM

Of course, I could have helped. So here...

lets take this...

and make it into this...

I've been a victim of rock pelting semi's. I have about 3 cracks on my windshield in addition to chips to my weak a$$ pearl paint.

Where exactly would I be able to find a good aftermarket windshield?

Also, I would like to know if you guys know anything about the rear defrosters because mine have been scraped almost completely off.

As for the windshield; I am attempting to find out the same thing, so pay attention, we might get an answer.

What the hell scraped off your defrosters? I would assume you would have to take it to an auto mechanic to have them re-installed. Im sure Nissan would charge out the a$$ for the labor and parts, so you'd be better of finding someone other than a dealership.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by KidHauler
I'm surprised that the ins co didn't replace the windshield. Did the 'chip' not penetrate all the way through the glass? Otherwise it would be a safety issue.

Is it in the path of your wipers? Will they get chewed up?

Also, what is so bad about the OEM windshield? I've never had any complaints about it (other than poor wiper performance).

Pitting is a common issue. More so than it should be from what I understand.

The chip is right above the drivers side wiper, so it hits it every time. Its sealed now, so no big deal. Im determined to get it replaced as I'm not satisfied with the repair.

And no, it did not penetrate the windshield. Thank God.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:32 AM

Thanks

Thanks Maxima-ness, you've been very helpful. Your King is pleased.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I drive a lot... And, I get at least one new windshield a year on some vehicle that has my name attached to it. *My* 02 SE (as opposed to my wife's) had a windshield replaced by SafeLite. Not only was the glass defective (typical with them that the first one is junk) and had to be replaced again, but they broke the thing taking it out and dropped pieces of glass into my defroster vents. Ground away when the fan ran for any reason. Glad I got rid of that car...

Anyhow.. I've been using Glass America to do my windshield replacements since, and have been pretty happy with them. They're quick, come to you, professional, and stand behind their work. I just had an OEM shield installed in my 6 week-old Acura TL. To the naked eye, when dry, it looked perfect. When it rained, you could see residual adhesive on it. I called the shop, explained what I saw. They said "Honda shields are packed differently, and that's common. Stop by the shop and we'll buff it off of the glass." I was in and out of there in about 20 minutes, it's perfect now.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by mebur****
I drive a lot... And, I get at least one new windshield a year on some vehicle that has my name attached to it. *My* 02 SE (as opposed to my wife's) had a windshield replaced by SafeLite. Not only was the glass defective (typical with them that the first one is junk) and had to be replaced again, but they broke the thing taking it out and dropped pieces of glass into my defroster vents. Ground away when the fan ran for any reason. Glad I got rid of that car...

Anyhow.. I've been using Glass America to do my windshield replacements since, and have been pretty happy with them. They're quick, come to you, professional, and stand behind their work. I just had an OEM shield installed in my 6 week-old Acura TL. To the naked eye, when dry, it looked perfect. When it rained, you could see residual adhesive on it. I called the shop, explained what I saw. They said "Honda shields are packed differently, and that's common. Stop by the shop and we'll buff it off of the glass." I was in and out of there in about 20 minutes, it's perfect now.

Was the windshield that they used factory OEM or was it from a supplier? I called them and was told that the only difference between the two was the cost, but I want to be sure your happy ending was due to OEM glass or their supplier's glass.

Thanks for the reply!
Old 09-01-2006, 02:59 PM

Thanks Maxima-ness, you've been very helpful. Your King is pleased.

Old 09-02-2006, 08:21 AM

How much will a replacment windshield cost for an 03? Id be going with truimph auto glass and would probaly pay out of pocket unless its a rediculous amount....