5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Help ! Need Canadian Dealership Info

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2001, 09:59 AM
Fast Black

Hello all! I'm brand new here and this is my first post. I'm the happy owner of a 10 day old 2K1 Maxima SE AE. My brother-in-law told me about this site and I've been reading it almost everyday. I have learned so much ! Thank you all for sharing your stories and words of wisdom.

I've also learned that I'm one of the lucky ones that is missing the fuel line protector. I tried one dealership near my work and spoke to the service manager, but he gave me a bogus excuse about how there was a recall in '95 because the protector was rotting the fuel line so Nissan decided to remove the protector. Basically, they weren't going to do anything about it.

I've read that some Canadian owners have been successful in getting their dealership to install this part under warranty.

Has anyone been so lucky in the Toronto area ? If so, would you be willing to divulge the name of the dealership and its service manager ? I'm willing to give them my maintenance and repair business down the road if they're willing to right this wrong. I've already noticed sand in the fueler cap area, and it only has 400km on it. Unreal !

Thanks a bunch in advance.

Old 06-26-2001, 10:15 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i have no idea what you're talking about ...

Originally posted by Fast Black
Hello all! I'm brand new here and this is my first post. I'm the happy owner of a 10 day old 2K1 Maxima SE AE. My brother-in-law told me about this site and I've been reading it almost everyday. I have learned so much ! Thank you all for sharing your stories and words of wisdom.

I've also learned that I'm one of the lucky ones that is missing the fuel line protector. I tried one dealership near my work and spoke to the service manager, but he gave me a bogus excuse about how there was a recall in '95 because the protector was rotting the fuel line so Nissan decided to remove the protector. Basically, they weren't going to do anything about it.

I've read that some Canadian owners have been successful in getting their dealership to install this part under warranty.

Has anyone been so lucky in the Toronto area ? If so, would you be willing to divulge the name of the dealership and its service manager ? I'm willing to give them my maintenance and repair business down the road if they're willing to right this wrong. I've already noticed sand in the fueler cap area, and it only has 400km on it. Unreal !

I haven't heard of such a thing .. what is it?
Old 06-26-2001, 10:17 AM

Congrats on your new AE

Good to see more Torontonians joining!

Where did you get your AE? I got mine at St. Clair Nissan. I was going to hit them with the 'fuel line protector' issue in the next few days. I'll let you know on the out come.
Old 06-26-2001, 10:25 AM
Fast Black

I got mine from Scarborough Nissan, and I'll be going to see them to discuss this tomorrow. Guelph Nissan is the one across the street from my work - and they've been......you know.

I know Greek to the Max (in Toronto) was successful in getting his fixed, and I've asked him about this but havn't heard back from him yet.

I'll let you know how Scarborough Nissan is.

Old 06-26-2001, 10:25 AM

bramirez ...

u know what he's talking about? kewl .. let me know!

Btw ... there mite b a mini meet on Friday @ Yorkdale ... someone (andyxxxl) is coming up from NY ... so we thought we'd welcome him ... even though there's someone else welcoming him

i'm getting my STS installed on Friday or Saturday! whoo hoo!

Originally posted by bramirez

Congrats on your new AE

Good to see more Torontonians joining!

Where did you get your AE? I got mine at St. Clair Nissan. I was going to hit them with the 'fuel line protector' issue in the next few days. I'll let you know on the out come.
Old 06-26-2001, 10:36 AM
Fast Black

Re: bramirez ...

Originally posted by ohboiya
u know what he's talking about? kewl .. let me know!

Btw ... there mite b a mini meet on Friday @ Yorkdale ... someone (andyxxxl) is coming up from NY ... so we thought we'd welcome him ... even though there's someone else welcoming him

i'm getting my STS installed on Friday or Saturday! whoo hoo!

ohboiya:

The first post describing this problem was back in March 2001, by RcticMax, with pages and pages of follow-on discussions. Last post was 06-21-2001. Re: line is..."Manufacturing Flaw - Must Read for 2001 Maxima Owners ! ".

Take a look at your driver side rear wheelwell. If you can see your fuel line running down from your fuel filler area - then you're missing your protector. It's a piece of plastic that molds to the curve of the inside of your wheelwell, that protects the fuel line and other hoses from debris kicked up by your tire. Without it, sand and salt (in the winter) gets kicked up and infiltrates into the fuel filler cap area through the drain hole - corrodes metals and possibly gets sand and grit into your fuel system. Can not be good ! (lots of horror stories described in the thread I'm talking about). If you look carefully, you can see the clips already attached to the fuel line, but nothing attached to the clips ! I've read that some 2k1 Maximas have them, and some don't. I've personally seen it on a 2000 Maxima SE, so they do exist. I'll be crawling through my dealership and look at all the Maximas on the lot tomorrow, to see how many have them and how many don't.

The thread I'm talking about is about 6 pages back - definitely worth a look.

Old 06-26-2001, 11:05 AM

I got mine from Scarborough Nissan, and I'll be going to see them to discuss this tomorrow. Guelph Nissan is the one across the street from my work - and they've been......you know.

I know Greek to the Max (in Toronto) was successful in getting his fixed, and I've asked him about this but havn't heard back from him yet.

Fast Black: Thanks

ohboiya: I couldn't find the thread. There was a thread started back in Feb/Mar. Nissan discountinued installing a fuel line protector a while back (don't know when). It is located at the right-upper side of your rear drivers side wheel. It was meant to keep sand out of the fuel lid bay. Take a look at yours and see if there is any sand. If there isn't then maybe you are one of the lucky ones.
BTW, are you going to be at Yorkdale on Friday and what time will the mini-meet be at? Fast Black, join us.
Old 06-26-2001, 02:16 PM

Hey Fast Black, welcome to the forum and congrats on your new Max

Its good to see so many Max owners from Toronto (and Canada) on this site. Makes me feel warm all over.

Speaking of warm, is it hot enough for ya outside? Gotta love AC.
Old 06-26-2001, 02:23 PM
Fast Black

Originally posted by fatboyp
Hey Fast Black, welcome to the forum and congrats on your new Max

Its good to see so many Max owners from Toronto (and Canada) on this site. Makes me feel warm all over.

Speaking of warm, is it hot enough for ya outside? Gotta love AC.
Thanks fatboyp. Love the car

I love the auto climate control - don't have to worry about adjusting the AC up and down.

So I guess the 2000 models all have the protector eh? Lucky you.

Old 06-26-2001, 04:04 PM

I bought mine ( correction my wife bought ours) from Scarborough Nissan in March. Bad news, they don't even want to know about it. I left a post on the Manufacturing Flaw - Must Read for 2001 Maxima Owners ! thread.
Old 06-26-2001, 05:03 PM

Has anyone dealt with Alta Nissan (Woodbridge/Richmondhill)?
Just curious, I'm going to set up an appointment with them regarding my front wheels vibration while braking.
Old 06-26-2001, 05:58 PM

i got my fuel filler protector installed at my dealer in sauga...however, it wasn't covered under "warranty"..i had to pay for it, but they did throw in a free oil change/inspection, which they did charge to Nissan

Here's what happened...i told them the issue regarding the sand in the fuel door and the solution (thanks to the ORG) with the part numbers. The initial reaction from the service advisor was that "if your info is from the States, sometimes it doesn't apply to Canada"...in any case, the customer service manager called Nissan Tech and the representative there said that "apparently the part was left off the 2001 for a reason...it's not a warranty issue now, but if we do get enough complaints about it, there may be a TSB issued...if so, we'll reimburse those who had to pay for the protector installation"

so, like RcticMax said in the other thread, call NissanNA and Nissan Canada and voice your opinion...if they get enough complaints, hopefully those who paid for the protector will get their money back

sorry for the long post...hope this helps

cheers
Old 06-26-2001, 07:49 PM

brake judder

Max_5gen, if the dealership is any good they will already know about the warped rotor TSB. If they don't let them know that there is one issued by Nissan Canada. I had my rotors machined at Oakville Nissan but I had to point them in the right direction. I also got some other TSB repairs done as well. I've come to the conclusion that dealers in general don't like doing warranty work because they don't get paid straightaway like they do when they charge a customer. Anyway, hope it goes OK.
Old 06-26-2001, 08:06 PM

Originally posted by Max_5gen
Has anyone dealt with Alta Nissan (Woodbridge/Richmondhill)?
Just curious, I'm going to set up an appointment with them regarding my front wheels vibration while braking.
I bought my car there ... the guy that does all the mods .. Hunter Watt is highly unreliable .. even his staff agree ... their body shop sucks ... trust me ... I got some work done ... if you're going in 4 a TSB .. make sure they will honour it ... they don't recognize US TSB's ...