5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

In need of sunroof help.... desperately

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 06:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

In need of sunroof help.... desperately

Sorry about the length

Ive searched this thing to death, and found the same three things. 1)hold button... doesnt work for my yr, so please dont mention it. 2) reset by unplugging neg. I did it, and it lasted about 2 days. 3) unplug relay. I tried it, and it did nothing

My prob: The sunroof is compl. messed up. It works by itslef(tilt up and down). I can hear it clicking and running while I drive(noise from the motor/ switches), it wont work for me most of the time. sometimes it does the little by little thing(2 in. at a time). It seems like I have every prob. anyone has complained about rolled into one, and with winter coming, I cant afford to have it stuck in the up position.

I thought about repl. the relay. I searched all across the internet, and called 2 local dealerships, and found there is really no such thing as a sunroof relay, but there a few powerwindow relays located at feet of driver in the panel that may also incl. power of the sunroof. If I have time, I plan to test ea. one to see wat happens when they are unplugged, But I am not about to go crazy under there and start rippin stuff apart if its not needed. So i was hoping someone could help with the location of one of P/W relays as also controlling the sunroof.

The motor seems fine considering it works by itself and sometimes when I hit the button, but maybe its on its way out. ANYTHING that anyone can offer as a solution or a point in the right direction would be great, and if it truly fixes the prob., I would even consider throwing 5-10 dollars to whoever shows me the way.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:03 PM
retired moderator

if you're referring to the relay way up under the dash....unplug it and leave it out for about 30 minutes or so. Shake it around and blow some air in it too.

I know this sounds wierd, but it worked for me when just removing and re-installing the relay did nothing....
Old 09-10-2006, 07:11 PM

I was hoping someone like you would reply to this... but its the relay that is almost on the floor, just infront of the drivers door. The panel that covers it starts at the door. I dont know if this is the relay you are referring to, or if we have them twisted, cuz this isnt really under the dash, but its not with the fuses or anything. Let me know if we are on the same page, in the meantime, I will take it out again after class tomoroow and see what happens if i let it sit, and give it a little shake. Thanks
Old 09-10-2006, 07:22 PM
retired moderator

here you go...in this pic looking up from the floor, that's the clutch pedal in the middle. See the gray boxy-looking thing in the upper left of the photo? It says "NISSAN" and some numbers on it. This is the sunroof relay. It's not covered by a panel or anything, you can see it if you kneel on the ground next to the car and stick your head down by the pedals.

Old 09-13-2006, 06:45 AM

I got the relay, took it out, shook it, blew in it, and left it out for like an hour. Still got the same issues. Left the batt. unplugged for the night, and still got the prob. My plan was to unplug the relay for the winter, but it also controls the windows/door locks. Any other ideas... PLEASE help
Old 09-13-2006, 10:42 AM

bump to the top.... i need this fixed by winter, please help!

any other sugg. irish... btw. was that the correct relay. The same one that controls P/W and door locks?
Old 09-13-2006, 11:50 AM

Same Problem

I had the same problem when I first got my 02 se in 2005. I read on the forum and found a thread that said I needed to replace the switch for the sunroof. The one by the map lights. I have searched now and can't find the TSB but it worked.

It only took me like 5 minutes to change it.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:00 AM

Yea... I was hoping to get to some junkyards or something to see if I could snag one. Thanks for the advice.
Old 09-16-2006, 06:24 AM

Sounds like the switch up by the map lights to me. I'd try opening it up to look for something obvious. If the switch comes out easily, maybe someone on the .org local to you would be nice enough to pull theirs out and you could swap it in to see if that solves it.

Good luck!
Old 09-18-2006, 08:45 AM

Keep us informed on your solution
Old 09-18-2006, 10:13 AM

wow, didnt check this in a day or two, figured the thread was dead. I took the assy. apart awhile ago, and it looked fine. I was w/ my friend who is an electician, and he said it looked fine. I honestly thought the switch(tilt) felt wierd, but figured it was just because the roof wasnt opening. I called the dealer today and its 50 bucks. I'll prolly have it in by the weekend after they order it and get it in. I'll keep you posted, thanks for the input.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:38 PM

Well, hooked up the new switch today, and got nothing out of it. I guess the only other explanation is the motor which is something I really dont feel like paying for so I'm open to any other suggestions.
Old 09-22-2006, 05:25 PM

One last bump for idea....
Old 09-22-2006, 05:58 PM
VaporHead

How about replacing that relay all together?

EDIT ADDED:
If it's easily accessable, try pulling the motor and connecting it directly to the battery and see if it runs consistantly. Just an idea if you are bored.

Old 09-23-2006, 04:41 AM

The relay also controls P/windows, and locks, so it would be wierd if it only malfunctions on the sunroof, but if its cheap enough, I'll give it a shot. As far as I have seen, the motor is tucked up in the headliner, and you need to pull the headliner down to get the motor out... Thanks for the thought tho,I'll try to find the relay sometime next week.