5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.
View Poll Results: K&N, AMSOIL, or stock
K&N
48.72%
AMSOIL
25.64%
stock
25.64%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

K&N or AMSOIL air filter

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 08:24 PM

K&N or AMSOIL air filter

I am going to switch out my stock air filter and didn't know which one to get. I don't know if it matters, but I have a '02 max.

Has anyone tried both filters? And which one did you like more? MAF problems?
With the K&N filter you are supposed to clean it out and re-oil it every 50K miles. The AMSOIL do NOT need oil and are guaranteed for 4 years/100,000 + they are in the GB section.

K&N

AMSOIL

Old 09-11-2006, 08:32 PM
Driving is the next best thing

According tho this, Amsoil should be better: http://www.amsoil.com/products/ea_filters/EaA.aspx

Subscribing...
Old 09-11-2006, 08:39 PM
Nightmare = Reality

Apparently K&N is the only aftermarket Air Filter product to actually be conclusively tested to increase airflow and horsepower. Oiling it is a pain in the $^#&Y#U*% but if it actually works, then who am I to argue. You'll be saving a little cash and a lot of paper waste, so if you wanna be tree friendly...
Old 09-11-2006, 10:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I think the AMSOIL provides better filtration, while the K&N is more high-flowing. Both are good, really. I'd just go with whichever is cheaper.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:26 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

AMSOIL...worth EVERY penny.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:44 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

Other than the OEM filters, I've only used K&N filters and have been fairly pleased with their durability over the years. Currently using a K&N along with my Berk short-ram intake and I'd probably purchase another if it came down to it. Re-oiling it isn't really that much of a pain as others have mentioned. Just takes a little bit of time to do it right and let if properly dry before re-installing it back into the car.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:36 AM
♠♠♠♠♠

I found my old stock filter didn't provide much of a seal at all. No rubber around the edges. It was a good fit, obviously.. but it wasn't snug like some of the aftermarket ones..
Old 09-12-2006, 05:44 AM
Don't you know who I am?

I have used a K&N filter in my 99 and now my '02 max. If you're looking for extra horse you can feel, don't bother with it. I'm sure the extra flow will give you a solid 1-2 horse, but you really aren't going to notice it. I can say I did notice a little something on the old 99, but the sole reason I put the K&N in the 02 was because I had saved it from the old car and my stock air filter was crudded up pretty good. I have noticed since I cleaned and re-oiled the K&N that I seem to be getting worse gas mileage too. I remember reading somewhere (probably in a K&N advertisement) that these filters were supposed to be more economical, but that seems counter-intuitive. I am currently in the process of testing out the actual effects of the gas mileage that the air filter has, as the only thing I notice now is that after installing the air filter, there is a decrease in my full tank DTE reading from the computer, and we all know how reliable that is . On my old air filter, the average mileage of around-town driving I was getting (taken from the average of 4 tanks of gas) was 22.098 mpg. I am currently on my 2nd recorded tank of gas with the K&N if anyone is interested and it hasn't been posted anywhere else, just ask me and I'll let ya know what I get.

Bottom line is:
If the general consensus is that the Amsoil is better filtration, go with that one. The extra HP gained from K&N is negligable compared to stock HP, and it isn't worth it to crud up the engine due to inferior filtration.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:49 AM

I have used the stock Nissan OEM, K&N panel filter, and the Amsoil EaA filter (which is currently in my car) in my 2K2 and have switched back and forth on occasion. I have not had MAF problems with any of them through 118K km (73K miles).

It "feels" to me that with the K&N the car is slightly more responsive (we all know how reliable butt dynos are) and it also "seems" as if my gas mileage is slightly better with K&N than with both the OEM and the Amsoil EaA filter. I have a pretty solid basis for this comparison because I spend 80% of my driving repeating the exact same 300 mile highway trip. I do not notice any difference between the Amsoil and OEM.

Tests have proven that K&N does a poorer job of filtering than the paper filters. If you don't care so much about a bit of crud getting into your engine, use K&N. I personally prefer the peace of mind of knowing that I have a high quality filter made by a leading edge company like Amsoil.

The Amsoil is the best value of all 3 filters too considering its durability (4 years / 100K) and initial cost.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:01 PM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

The Amsoil EaA air filters are air-cleaned. You're supposed to clean them by running a vacuum across them.

I've also seen tests that conclude that the EaA filters filter a little better, whereas the K&N filters flow better. Given that, I would absolutely go with the EaA, no questions asked. The filter and air box are big enough relative to the rest of the intake that the difference in flow rate won't actually have much of an effect on how much air the engine gets at a given time.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:08 PM

I would go with K&N
Old 09-12-2006, 10:13 PM
Need A Light?

i would go with fram
Old 09-20-2006, 05:14 AM

Thanks for all the responses/input. I decided to go with AMSOIL EaA-74 (talkinghorse has a Group Deal on them) for the better filtration.

I installed it last night, but it didn't go in without a fight. I think it’s a bit bigger around the edges than the OEM filter. I had to press down/force it to go it. When I tried to take it out it was wedged in there really well, I had to use a key to "pop" it back out. Has anyone else experienced that with this filter? I compared the 2 filters (OEM & AMSOIL), the only thing I can see is that the orange border is a little thicker hence the snug fit.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by hogey228
Thanks for all the responses/input. I decided to go with AMSOIL EaA-74 (talkinghorse has a Group Deal on them) for the better filtration.

I installed it last night, but it didn't go in without a fight. I think it’s a bit bigger around the edges than the OEM filter. I had to press down/force it to go it. When I tried to take it out it was wedged in there really well, I had to use a key to "pop" it back out. Has anyone else experienced that with this filter? I compared the 2 filters (OEM & AMSOIL), the only thing I can see is that the orange border is a little thicker hence the snug fit.
I have the EaA-74 and mine was not THAT tight to install. It was a snug fit indeed, but that's a good thing in my mind. To me the size of the Amsoil filter seemed to be almost exactly the same as OEM. Both are better than the K&N that you need to use the foam spacers just to hold it in place.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:24 AM

K&N is the only way to go.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:00 AM
Don't you know who I am?

K&N ~~ Stock

I have sworn by K&N filters for my last two maximas. However, per another thread where a link was posted to a test performed on the filters, I have since changed my mind. I now draw only this conclusion:

The air filter is the air filter. You aren't really going to change much of anything by using a different one. The only advantage I really see K&N having over the stock paper filter is that it lasts longer. People preach about higher air flow. In this test (which I consider to be a reliable one), the K&N air filter indeed had the most consistent air flow, and was the highest flowing filter. Over 1500 miles of driving, it consistently measured to drop air pressure a staggering 0.018 PSI less than the stock paper filter. In other words, you get an extra 0.018 PSI of air flowing through. Big deal. Leads me to think that all the "power gains" I was feeling after installing it were mostly in my head.

As for filtration, the K&N did indeed filter worse than a stock paper filter. About as much more dirt got through as air (which in all common sense should be true), the amount of which I find to be pretty much negligable. If you wish to see for yourself, here is the link to the detailed filtration and flow tests that I am referring to, with pictures demonstrating filtration capabilities, and charts measuring PSI drops. Another interesting tidbit, the Amsoil filter actually filters worse than the K&N, you can notice in the pictures, however, again, not by much.

**note** I have seen this link before, probably a repost
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

just go to the bottom and click on "air filtration test" to see the pictures of dirt that escape each filter.

My Conclusion: Stick with stock, it ain't worth the time/money to mess with the air filter.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Rydicule
As for filtration, the K&N did indeed filter worse than a stock paper filter. About as much more dirt got through as air (which in all common sense should be true), the amount of which I find to be pretty much negligable. If you wish to see for yourself, here is the link to the detailed filtration and flow tests that I am referring to, with pictures demonstrating filtration capabilities, and charts measuring PSI drops. Another interesting tidbit, the Amsoil filter actually filters worse than the K&N, you can notice in the pictures, however, again, not by much.

**note** I have seen this link before, probably a repost
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

just go to the bottom and click on "air filtration test" to see the pictures of dirt that escape each filter.

My Conclusion: Stick with stock, it ain't worth the time/money to mess with the air filter.
One thing to keep in mind is that I don't think the Amsoil filter tested here is the EaA filter that we are discussing in this thread. The EaA is Amsoil's newest line of filters and they were not out when this test was conducted.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:00 PM

I've had K&N and never had a problem. Very pleased with it.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by BigFly_2K2SE
One thing to keep in mind is that I don't think the Amsoil filter tested here is the EaA filter that we are discussing in this thread. The EaA is Amsoil's newest line of filters and they were not out when this test was conducted.
Exactly. That was the oiled foam one that Amsoil sold.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:31 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by hogey228
Has anyone else experienced that with this filter? I compared the 2 filters (OEM & AMSOIL), the only thing I can see is that the orange border is a little thicker hence the snug fit.
Yep. It is a bit more snug, but that just means you have a thicker gasket and a better seal.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

AMSOIL IS BETTER. I used one in my VR6 VW and it was way worth it. 30% more airflow and filtered out the smallest particles possible. Go AMSOIL
Old 10-03-2006, 04:54 AM

i had a k&n when i first bought my max and it did not fit too well so i went back to the stock.

then i was in autozone and saw that k&n had changed the outer edge on the filter and tried another one (it fit nice and snug) and i have not had any problems since. i will tell you this. in comparison against the stock air filter, the k&n gives the car a little bit of a louder exhaust note.

the dirt that gets by these filters is very miniscule. i had run a k&n on a camry for 188k and never had any problems.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by MAXI BLUE 03
the dirt that gets by these filters is very miniscule.
Miniscule enough to get stuck in a rod bearing?

Just being annoying. Clearly the difference is not that big a deal. But if you're a stickler, it's a point to consider.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:25 PM

K&N i am on my second filter first one got a hole in it and K&N gave me a new one for free can not pass that up
Old 10-20-2006, 02:42 AM

I just stick with the paper ones. Cheap and easy.

Second reason is to keep oil out of the MAF.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

K&N are a little effort but very nice.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:24 AM

does anyone know what i can use in lieu of the k&n cleaner solution? i was going to clean my jwt popcharger and found out the k&n cleaner solution had dried up.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:39 AM

Any good detergent soap, apparently...
Old 11-02-2006, 08:24 AM

For people that used k&n panel filter did you have to re-oil both sides after washing? Meaning just oil the side thats not facing toward where the air comes in.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Grey00lustre
For people that used k&n panel filter did you have to re-oil both sides after washing? Meaning just oil the side thats not facing toward where the air comes in.

I only ever oil from the outside....never from the inside. That is a quick way to get oil into your MAF and air intake.

With the 2k2 and 2k3, I am concerned about the oiling problem fouling the MAf.

thanks!