5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

can an OBDII scanner pick up codes that dont throw CEL?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 09:10 AM
no more maxima...

can an OBDII scanner pick up codes that dont throw CEL?

A friend of mine has a 5th gen which was recently showed a CEL. However, it was only for one code. When they hooked it up to thbe CONSULT 2, it detected codes for a dead knock sensor and dead rear o2. The dealership he is dealing with is trustworthy, so we both know they aren't taking him for a ride.

My question is, can a regular OBDII scanner detect items which are not throwing a CEL, or can only the Consult tool do this?
Old 09-22-2006, 09:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

That would be me. Things is I knew about the o2 from before and that never threw a code. Went in to get coils replaced, code gone but knock still throwing a code as well (no engine light on dash)
Old 09-22-2006, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by kingrukus
A friend of mine has a 5th gen which was recently showed a CEL. However, it was only for one code. When they hooked it up to thbe CONSULT 2, it detected codes for a dead knock sensor and dead rear o2. The dealership he is dealing with is trustworthy, so we both know they aren't taking him for a ride.

My question is, can a regular OBDII scanner detect items which are not throwing a CEL, or can only the Consult tool do this?
A regular OBD2 scanner will show all codes, even those not turning on the light.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:35 AM
no more maxima...

Originally Posted by jvienneau
A regular OBD2 scanner will show all codes, even those not turning on the light.
Great, thank you.
Old 09-23-2006, 03:51 PM

No, it won't. A "generic" OBDII scaner must show everything that regulations mandate, that's it. Most of if not all of the sensors a generic scantool can read are emissions related stuff. Nissan doesn't have to allow access to most non-emissions stuff thru generic protocal. Even with the new CAN protocal which is mandatory, it's not required. Scantronics, snap-on, Vetronix, ETC and the vehicle manufacturers would lose alot of money if everything was accessible. All information will never be accessible thru generic protocal, the special interest groups are just way to big.

EDIT: Basically (IIRC) if the MIL light comes on, then generic scantools will show the code.
Old 09-23-2006, 05:46 PM
no more maxima...

Originally Posted by 5thgenmaxima
No, it won't. A "generic" OBDII scaner must show everything that regulations mandate, that's it. Most of if not all of the sensors a generic scantool can read are emissions related stuff. Nissan doesn't have to allow access to most non-emissions stuff thru generic protocal. Even with the new CAN protocal which is mandatory, it's not required. Scantronics, snap-on, Vetronix, ETC and the vehicle manufacturers would lose alot of money if everything was accessible. All information will never be accessible thru generic protocal, the special interest groups are just way to big.

EDIT: Basically (IIRC) if the MIL light comes on, then generic scantools will show the code.
Ah, this throws a twist into things. What I will do is get it scanned by an generic OBD II scanner to see what it pulls. Right now I have no CEL, so if it pulls nothing then Ill take it to my dealer and get it scanned again and see what happens.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by kingrukus
Ah, this throws a twist into things. What I will do is get it scanned by an generic OBD II scanner to see what it pulls. Right now I have no CEL, so if it pulls nothing then Ill take it to my dealer and get it scanned again and see what happens.
Most shops have an aftermarket scantool and have the ability to find everything. Vetronix made the consult II for Nissan and they sell disks compatible with their Mastertech, Tech 2, etc that will read everything.
Even the Snap-on scantool sells Nissan specific programming for their scantools.

Don't let them charge more than 1/2 hour labor for pulling the codes though. If you're a regulaur customer and on good terms with the service adviser you may even be able to talk him into having one of the techs check for codes for you. (Show up in the afternoon around 2:00-2:30 when most of the work is done for the day, but the techs aren't ready to go home yet.) If they want to charge you 1/2 an hour to do it, then ask the tech to bump your idle timing up while you're there.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:05 AM
no more maxima...

Most shops have an aftermarket scantool and have the ability to find everything. Vetronix made the consult II for Nissan and they sell disks compatible with their Mastertech, Tech 2, etc that will read everything.
Even the Snap-on scantool sells Nissan specific programming for their scantools.

Don't let them charge more than 1/2 hour labor for pulling the codes though. If you're a regulaur customer and on good terms with the service adviser you may even be able to talk him into having one of the techs check for codes for you. (Show up in the afternoon around 2:00-2:30 when most of the work is done for the day, but the techs aren't ready to go home yet.) If they want to charge you 1/2 an hour to do it, then ask the tech to bump your idle timing up while you're there.
Well I know the service manager, and ususally he is pretty good with scanning for codes and charging minimal amounts or even doing it for free, so we will see. Thanks for the advice though.
Old 09-24-2006, 05:18 AM

actually, it is normal for dealers to charge 1hr labor for pulling codes, even if it takes them 5 min. snap on sells specific programming key chips for their scan tools, and i believe their latest scan tool costs $8000. and of course, they charge to update it every year. of course, most shops could have the equipment, but if it's not a big shop, they tend not to invest in import diagnostic tools as they are less serviced over GMs and what not.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:04 AM

Yeah, my generic tool calls them 'pending' codes. It also reads 'ready' or 'not ready' for most of the major systems (fuel, cat, O2, etc).
Old 09-29-2006, 12:32 PM
♠♠♠♠♠

My reader seems to pull both active and pending codes.. that's how I found out my MAF was dying..
Old 09-29-2006, 04:38 PM

Can codes are preety rare though rarely get any, but when you do you have to fix that first then move on to the mil etc.