5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Dash-Clock, Instrament Lights, Hazard lights w/ remote lock, Fuse Help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 04:10 AM

Dash-Clock, Instrament Lights, Hazard lights w/ remote lock, Fuse Help.

Morning All.

I just got my car (02 max gle)back from having it repaired from when my headlights were stolen.

I noticed last night my instrament panel wont light up at all (i know of the **** to lighten/darken it)

The dash clock is off

When i remote lock or unlock, i get the horn, but the hazard lights dont flash. (Im aware how to change modes, i tried them all, no lights) THe hazard lights work when i turn them on with the hazard button, so they are functioning.

I looked at the fuse panel and checked any that i thought could be for the above problems. I didnt find any bad fuses.

My radio is still ripped out of the dash. Could that effect anything? Its sunday today and I assumed it was a bad fuse i could pick up somewhere. Anything worse and Ill have to take it back to the dealer. (sometime this week)

Tough to drive at night with no instrament panel. Does anyone know what fuse could i could check for these listed items? Any other ideas?

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 09-24-2006, 07:29 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Fuse #13, IIRC
Old 09-24-2006, 07:57 AM

Thanks Metal.

I checked number 13 (which is called room lamp on the fuse panel cover).

It wasnt damaged. TO be safe I replaced it with a spare and I still have no clock, instruments or flashes with the remote.

Since there is no radio in the car right now, could that be causing the problem?

I didnt have anything called "IIRC" on my fuse panel.

Thanks
I looked at the fuses in the fuse panel, i read in the owners manual that their may be more fuses under the hood? Am i looking in the right place?
Old 09-24-2006, 07:59 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i had almost the same problem once... check the fuses under the hood, more specifically the fuse controlling the tail-lamps.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by 03maxsiny
i had almost the same problem once... check the fuses under the hood, more specifically the fuse controlling the tail-lamps.
ok, i checked under the hood and see the "big blue" fuses which i guess are fusible links (from the owners manual).

Nothing looks "melted" like the manual suggests. How else can i check these.

I pulled the top off the Tail lamps fuse and it looks just like the other....I dont really know what im doing with these.

Thanks for the tip
Old 09-24-2006, 10:37 AM

get a test light and just run it over every fuse. over the top of the fuse there are 2 dots which expose the legs of the fuse. see if theres any fuses underhood and inside the car that have fuses that you might have overlooked or not seen clearly
Old 09-24-2006, 11:59 AM

i dont know if this is the same fuse that metal mentioned but its the fuse box under the steering wheel its in the middle row all the way to the left
Old 09-24-2006, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by misiek
i dont know if this is the same fuse that metal mentioned but its the fuse box under the steering wheel its in the middle row all the way to the left
ok, i just checked that one. Its listed as "electronic parts" and is black on the fuse cover where as the rest are listed in white. It is a 10a?

It seems fine aswell.

Could not having the radio in be the problem? I dont know anything about electronics in cars.
Old 09-24-2006, 03:37 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Alright, if that was not it then you will need to look for the fuse labeled 'taillights' or something to that effect. It's beneath the hood on the drivers side. You'll be looking for a 10A fuse that is labeled something like 'taillights' or 'rear lights'.

IF that does not work, you will need to swap out the IIRC relay.
Old 09-24-2006, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima
Alright, if that was not it then you will need to look for the fuse labeled 'taillights' or something to that effect. It's beneath the hood on the drivers side. You'll be looking for a 10A fuse that is labeled something like 'taillights' or 'rear lights'.

IF that does not work, you will need to swap out the IIRC relay.
thanks metal, unfortunalty all the 10a's under the hood look fine including the rear lights...

Looks like its back to the dealership for them to fix something they should of taken care of before giving me the car back.

I was hoping to just buy a fuse and be done with it.

Thanks all for the help and ideas.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:36 AM

Ok, after a trip to autzone, I found 2 fuses under the hood (the tail lights and radio fuses) that were blown. I replaced and now have tail lights back!

The problem is, i still dont have instrument lights or a dash clock? I think the tailights and instrument panel are on the same fuse. What could it mean if my taillights are working and instrument lights/dash clock are not.

Keep in mind the radio has not been replaced, the wires are just hanging there. Could this be causing the problem>?

Thanks again
*edit* also, when i remote lock/unlock the side markers dont flash (they normally do). I know how to change modes to turn the horn on/off for the remote, but I dont see any option to turn of the side markers flashing when using the remote. Any ideas on this?
Old 10-05-2006, 12:04 PM

i drove around without a radio for a few days waiting for wires too
the clock still work
double check that fues i mentioned because when my clock didnt work work it was that fuse
Old 10-05-2006, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by misiek
i drove around without a radio for a few days waiting for wires too
the clock still work
double check that fues i mentioned because when my clock didnt work work it was that fuse
Thanks, ill check that tonight. Did you have to tape any wires off or ground any of the loose wires when you were without the radio? With theifs ripping the radio and harnesses out could any of those loose wires be making contact with something they shouldnt?

Thanks again
Old 10-05-2006, 02:01 PM

FYI its def something to do with the loose radio wires. I just rechecked the fuses and the power mirror (which also controls the clock) was blown. The thing is I used the power mirrors right after i got the car back. So it has blown since.

I checked every fuse, then when leaving the car the small white lights above thre turn signal along with the tail lights and rear side markers all stayed lit (even with the key removed, car locked, all doors closed and even alarm activate).

after ten min of not being able to get them off, i started puling fuses, I pulled the audio fuse and they went off.

I put the fuse back in (under the hood) and they came back on, with the car closed and no key. I went in and messed with the wires from the radio and the fuse blew. I made sure the wires were not touching each other or any medal and replaced the fuse. It seems ok, but I still think i dont have instrument panel lights. I also still dont have lights flashing when i remote lock/unlock.

Fuses that i have had to replace since the radio got ripped out

Audio
Mirror/clock
Tail LIghts/Lamps

Somehow those wires are effecting those systems.

I hope when I replace the radio all will be well. I guess im just writing this to document it if anyone else runs into it.