5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

The Great Brake Pad And Rotors Thread.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Shogunsc4
My Brembo blanks went bad according to my mechanic and with all the excessive squeaking... I have just recently replaced them with the EBC slotted and dippled rotors with OEM pads. The problem I'm having is that when I drive, I can hear some sort of hissing/ticking sound at the wheels and the speed of the hiss/tick varies to the speed of the car. It gets more noticable when I drive next to a curb or a wall. This is when I'm driving (not braking)...and when I brake the noise goes away. Is this normal for slotted/dippled rotors?

Take of your rims and check out if he installed the pads correctly because he could of forgotten to reinstall that litte metal part back into the pads. Also where is the noise comeing from? How many miles you got on the car? Could be bearing but i'd do the first part before getting new bearings or axles.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:59 PM

The noise came from the wheel area...and the car has 59k on the ODO. I was there during the brake installation and he did not take away any metal piece anywhere. My mechanic told me that the noise is normal.
Old 11-11-2006, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by 00MaxSE
That sucks Jay. I'm still on my OEM rotors and I have the Raybestos Quietstop pads. No problems at all.
I'm glad I saw your post because I've been contemplating getting the Raybestos Quiet Stop pads. How long have you had them? My main concern is how long will they last. Do ceramic pads usually last as long traditional pads?

Raybestos also has NS pads (Noise Solution) and it's site says they are specifially for import vehicles. They are not ceramic though, they're a semi-metallic.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:32 AM
Mauja He Mauja

Originally Posted by Dust N Bones
I'm glad I saw your post because I've been contemplating getting the Raybestos Quiet Stop pads. How long have you had them? My main concern is how long will they last. Do ceramic pads usually last as long traditional pads?

Raybestos also has NS pads (Noise Solution) and it's site says they are specifially for import vehicles. They are not ceramic though, they're a semi-metallic.
I liked the fact that there was NO dust. However stopping was not very good..
Old 12-14-2006, 03:16 PM

What is supposedly the major difference between ceramic & non-ceramic pads...excluding the obvious? For example, whats the difference between the Hawk HPS & Ceramic? Yes, I've read all over Hawk's site, but thats all just marketing. Do the ceramic pads inherently have less stopping power?
Old 12-14-2006, 08:57 PM

I've had brembo blanks/hawk hps for 3 months now -- good brakes but I do not feel like they had the same bite the oem brakes had when they were new. It's just the pedal feel. I did change out the brake fluid as well.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:59 AM
Mauja He Mauja

I have put on about 2200 miles on Napa rotors and hawk pads. No brake dust or noise. Stopping power is great.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:52 PM
Lil 8

Originally Posted by ctrent86
I am considering getting pbr axxis ultimate pads(since I can get a good deal on them). Has anyone had any experience with them?

i am also looking into the axxis ultimates also, anybody install them as of yet? but what is the make up of the ceramic brakes? materials more or less? I have ran both slotted cross-drilled brembos on my last max 3rd gen. no problems at all no squeeling minimal dust also ran g stop ss brake hoses. had to comment on a earlier post for me just driving car has everyday, the set up has save my a_ _ countless times. no cracks or breaks in the rotors either. Had the set uo for about 2yrs and some months. also just using full-organic pads from autozone. yea i know, but hey for normal driving it worked for me no regrets. Bottom line though this time around want a better performing pad still planning on running same brembo rotors zinc coated this time
Old 03-06-2007, 12:25 PM

Are all four 5th gen maxima calipers only one piston?
Old 03-07-2007, 03:06 PM

Anybody????
Old 03-07-2007, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by IloveVQ
Are all four 5th gen maxima calipers only one piston?
yeah... i have a 2001 max which i just changed the brakes on, and theres only one piston in each caliper... i doubt if the 5.5 gens are any different, but i don't know for sure
Old 03-07-2007, 03:51 PM

now as far as the squeaking.. my hawk brake pads sqeak sometimes just before i come to a complete stop.. somebody mentioned that i may not have bed them in properly because i came to a complete stop during my runs... the box didn't say not to! lol.. but can i do a second bed in to remedy the squeaking problem?
Old 05-19-2007, 10:42 AM

i just installed some rims yesterday and my ABS light turned on today when i went to get my alignment done, can any 1 help???
Old 05-19-2007, 11:25 AM
♠♠♠♠♠

easiest way is to go to dealer and get the code pulled. ABS codes need special Nissan equipment.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:16 PM
Turbo'd Saab

bump...

because its tuesday and i think people need to read what irish posted about brakes cause its good info and i found to be useful today with making my decision
Old 06-13-2007, 11:16 AM

[QUOTE=irish44j]

What rotors won't warp?

- Most rotors do not "warp." Most rotors get uneven pad material transfer/buildup due to using crappy OEM or cheapo pads. Use a good quality pad and you will drastically reduce the chances of this happening.

- To avoid "actual" rotor warping, make sure to:
1. bed pads properly
2. seat rotor on hub properly
3. torque lug nuts to spec - NO IMPACT GUNS

How do I make sure that the rotor gets seated correctly? I alsor read to lightly apply grease to hub if rust and rotor comes off hard...I have not done brakes before but feel confident I can. I work as slow as molasses and quite methodical so am confidendt but need to learn and am looking for a bit of input on this. I also would like to change the fluid and am researching that as well, so any links/help would be appreciated. My frt caliper pins I greased last fall seem great...thanks to help on this site!!

Thks.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by MichMaxFan

My frt caliper pins I greased last fall seem great...thanks to help on this site!!
What kind of grease did you use on the caliper slide pin? Can I use regular old plain grease?

One of the rubber dust boot on the caliper slide pin had a cut and I had to get a new one.

Thanks!
Old 06-13-2007, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by A33Black
What kind of grease did you use on the caliper slide pin? Can I use regular old plain grease?

One of the rubber dust boot on the caliper slide pin had a cut and I had to get a new one.

Thanks!

NO! according to what I've learned...will heat up and break down and not protect and then caliper will seize up...some say keep the pins and piston lubed and should never have to buy new calipers.

I used "Permatex Ultra disc brake caliper lube" - white bottle w/ green label and the grease is green in color. I think some use the red bottle grease since it goes to a higher temp, I think, but this was pricey and higher end quality from what others have said and so I bought it - and the store did not have the red bottle stuff. The parts guy wanted to sell me a little sample packet which prob would been enough but I want to be able to have it around and not mess w/ buying it again and got the bottle. It doesn't take much grease on the pins, but sure is nice to have it around. I gotta do the rear pins, too but hoping to do them this summer w/ my brakes after I get help from this site.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by irish44j
screw-in. ...
speakin of the screw in, any one know where to get this screw in tool cheap?
Old 06-15-2007, 05:52 AM

If you're talking about the tool for rear pistons, I don't have one yet but heard Sears, Autozone, etc all have it for like $8-$10 and heard it is well worth the price. I need one too so I can do my rears that haven't been done yet.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:47 AM

If you're talking about the tool for rear pistons, I don't have one yet but heard Sears, Autozone, etc all have it for like $8-$10 and heard it is well worth the price. I need one too so I can do my rears that haven't been done yet.
Thanks i will check it out, lucky my main mechanic let me borrow his time being for the job.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:17 AM

[QUOTE=MichMaxFan]

What rotors won't warp?

- Most rotors do not "warp." Most rotors get uneven pad material transfer/buildup due to using crappy OEM or cheapo pads. Use a good quality pad and you will drastically reduce the chances of this happening.

- To avoid "actual" rotor warping, make sure to:
1. bed pads properly
2. seat rotor on hub properly
3. torque lug nuts to spec - NO IMPACT GUNS

How do I make sure that the rotor gets seated correctly? I alsor read to lightly apply grease to hub if rust and rotor comes off hard...I have not done brakes before but feel confident I can. I work as slow as molasses and quite methodical so am confidendt but need to learn and am looking for a bit of input on this. I also would like to change the fluid and am researching that as well, so any links/help would be appreciated. My frt caliper pins I greased last fall seem great...thanks to help on this site!!

Thks.
Anybody???
Tks.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:23 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

[QUOTE=MichMaxFan]

Anybody???
Tks.
It's metal to metal, the rotor will seat just fine. I have seen cases where I had to do a little grinding to get clean metal but this was never on a newer Max. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:01 PM

yeah, as time went on the squeaking with my hawk pads got worse.. i put them on a couiple months ago, and now once the brakes heat up, they squeak alot with moderate pressure applied to the brake pedal.. when i bed them in initially, i follwed the instructions on the box, except that i came to a complete stop when doing it bercause that was not mentioned on the box.. so i re-bed them using 8-10 hard stops from 60-0 until the brakes started to fade.. didnt work.. i tried the anti-squeak gunk that u put on the back on the pads.. that didnt work at all.. i tried the grease that you put between the edge of the brake pads and the retainer clips.. that only worked for less than 100 miles.. i dont know what the hell to do.. im running brembo blanks and hawk hps.. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...
Old 06-21-2007, 08:59 AM

anybody.......??
Old 06-21-2007, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by wyche89
anybody.......??
Sorry man, can't offer help. Running OEM rotors and pads.

I know they 'warp' (or more accurately, transfer pad material to the rotor face resulting in shimmy braking) easily, but they are super quite!

I've accepted the fact that I have to resurface them every 30K or so (fronts only, rears are OK). I'm also careful to not stomp hard on the brake when at a stop light.

Do you still have the original rotors/pads?

FWIW, I made sure to lube the slide pins with SILICON grease when I changed the pads. Permatex makes a good one at Pep Boys. Stay away from petroleum based grease as they will make the boot pins 'bloat' when the rubber absorbs the grease.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:19 PM

no, i transhed the original rotors and pads.. they were almost done anyway.. i got a carwash the day after i did it.. so maybe that washed some of the grease off.. i'll try it again and not get my car washed for a while, but i'm skeptical... -sigh-
Old 10-03-2007, 06:05 PM

Would Brembo Blanks and hawk hps be a good set up for daily driving?
Old 10-04-2007, 12:53 PM
L.M.L.

What rotors won't warp?

- Most rotors do not "warp."
They don't? here is how you can test that.... a) do a few consequent 60-0 stops b) go to a car wash right away and spray your hot rotor with cold water... c) test drive... see any difference?

Old 10-04-2007, 01:17 PM
+Cru OG

Originally Posted by El_PrOfE
Would Brembo Blanks and hawk hps be a good set up for daily driving?
Best set-up. Go for it. Make sure to bed the brakes properly.

Originally Posted by L.M.L.
They don't? here is how you can test that.... a) do a few consequent 60-0 stops b) go to a car wash right away and spray your hot rotor with cold water... c) test drive... see any difference?
You should read the rest of the post(s). Why exactly would you perform such dumb tricks? To prove a point that rotors do warp?
Old 10-04-2007, 01:17 PM

i need to change the rear brake pads and the rotors , from 1-10 how hard is it, and whats the average time the work will be done... pm me if anything
Old 10-04-2007, 01:22 PM
+Cru OG

no, i transhed the original rotors and pads.. they were almost done anyway.. i got a carwash the day after i did it.. so maybe that washed some of the grease off.. i'll try it again and not get my car washed for a while, but i'm skeptical... -sigh-
You were supposed to thoroughly clean the rotors before installing them (to get all that oil off). I use Axxiss MM pads and RTP slotted rotors; never had a problem with noise/squeaking at all.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:26 PM
+Cru OG

Originally Posted by kingofny1997
i need to change the rear brake pads and the rotors , from 1-10 how hard is it, and whats the average time the work will be done... pm me if anything
Make sure to rent/buy caliper tool from Autozone (to make it easier). You can use some long-nosed pliers to screw the pistons back in (frustrating).

Gauge - 2
Time - ~1Hour
Old 10-04-2007, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by NisMoN00B
You were supposed to thoroughly clean the rotors before installing them (to get all that oil off). I use Axxiss MM pads and RTP slotted rotors; never had a problem with noise/squeaking at all.
i did that... cleaned both sides of each rotor twice with brake cleaner.. i hear those "red stuff" pads are pretty good.. anybody have experience with those?
Old 10-05-2007, 05:28 AM

I just got cross drilled rotors and pads from Stillen. Had them on for about a week now. So far so good. I guess the rotors are made my Brembo, there name is on the outside edge of the rotor. They make a little noise when coming to a stop, but i dont really mind it. So far the dust seems to be minimal. Ill see how they are as time goes on.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I had to comment about my Hawk HPS pads. After reading many positive reviews about them here on the board I ended up going with them when switching to 6th gen brakes. Initially I didnt really have an issue with them but now with time they are really starting to drive me nuts. From the very beginning I was irritated with lots of brake dust, but I couldent really complain seeing as the HPS pads were quiet, bit hard when warm, and generally took abuse well without any problems. Now about 15k later these brake pads not only dust to high heaven they also squeel like a stuck pig ALL THE TIME!! Its to the point where it is very embarrasing going anywhere. I am going to replace them in the near future, I just now need to figure out what pad I should go with on the next set. I cant use OEM because I destroy them the way I drive, and I dont really know of another brake pad recommended on here that is similar to the HPS.

Any suggestions?
Old 10-05-2007, 07:11 AM

Best set-up. Go for it. Make sure to bed the brakes properly.
Bedding? How do you do that?
Old 10-05-2007, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by El_PrOfE
Bedding? How do you do that?

PAGE 1
Old 10-05-2007, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by HotMaxx02
PAGE 1
thanks didnt see it there!
Old 10-05-2007, 06:51 PM
retired moderator

Make sure to rent/buy caliper tool from Autozone (to make it easier). You can use some long-nosed pliers to screw the pistons back in (frustrating).

Gauge - 2
Time - ~1Hour
better suggestion: go to sears and buy a caliper tool. They don't cost much and will work on almost any car you ever own...

i did that... cleaned both sides of each rotor twice with brake cleaner.. i hear those "red stuff" pads are pretty good.. anybody have experience with those?
EBC pads have a good track reputation, but I didn't really like them when I used them years ago.....

Originally Posted by sciff5
I had to comment about my Hawk HPS pads. After reading many positive reviews about them here on the board I ended up going with them when switching to 6th gen brakes. Initially I didnt really have an issue with them but now with time they are really starting to drive me nuts. From the very beginning I was irritated with lots of brake dust, but I couldent really complain seeing as the HPS pads were quiet, bit hard when warm, and generally took abuse well without any problems. Now about 15k later these brake pads not only dust to high heaven they also squeel like a stuck pig ALL THE TIME!! Its to the point where it is very embarrasing going anywhere. I am going to replace them in the near future, I just now need to figure out what pad I should go with on the next set. I cant use OEM because I destroy them the way I drive, and I dont really know of another brake pad recommended on here that is similar to the HPS.

Any suggestions?
Nope, I've used Hawk HPS in my integra, my honda, my stock maxima brakes, my 6th gen brakes, and my z32 brakes and never had that problem. Sure, occasionally I'll go through a spell where there's some squealing, but once I relube the slide pins on the caliper and re-gunk the backs of the pads its good to go again....

Quick Reply: The Great Brake Pad And Rotors Thread.