5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Fixing the Dumb Seat Motor

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by stuie2
Great pics. I just tapped the motor to get it moving. I'll go for the full repair on a weekend.
I did this as well on the passenger seat in February and it's worked ever since. I discovered that as long as I didn't put the seat all the way back to the end, it will work all the time.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:15 AM

Bump for a great thread....

My passenger seat has only one direction not working. It will not come back up after being reclined. No clicking, no grinding, no sound at all. I dont think that the recliner has two motors does it? So that would mean switch? It just stopped working all of the sudden. Anyone figure out the easiest way to remove the trim?

Last edited by DavefromCA; 11-26-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey gang,
New Maxima owner here and I bought my 2003 knowing the seat didn't work. I bought a salvaged seat (the only way to get the motors used) while I was in the area that bought my car (closest salvage yard is 1 1/2 hours otherwise). So finally had some decent weather when I wasn't working and warm enough for my hands to work in. In the mean time, I had gotten the other seat apart while waiting to work on the car. Finally got to work on it some and got one side working by doing the tap thing. Still couldn't get the other side working. So I drove around with the seat ****-eyed in the meantime. Finally got today to work on it again some more. Had to use a vise-grip to get the 4 screws on either side loose so I didn't strip the screw heads. Got the motor out and apart. Missed the pics the first time around so I didn't see the easier way to get the contacts to touch. Couldn't get the other screw to work though while the one side kept working. So out came the replacement motor. Tested it real quick and both sides moved. Alright, I was in business, put it back together, and then had problems lining up the mount holes Ugh. Had to drive over to Dad's for help and he got out the crow bar. On the way into town to get dinner, I set the seat position and turned the Auto on. Got to Subway, seat moved back when I stopped the car, got back in the car and the seat elevated and the back moved but the seat did not move forward. ARRRRGGGHHHH!!!! It will move back and barely move forward til a certain point.

Any suggestions? I am hoping not to have to remove the bolts because it was a pain to jimmy it into place to begin with. BTW, got the replacement seat for $80 but that was because the airbags and blown in it. Still expensive but cheaper than paying a garage to fix it.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Folks - I realize this is an old thread but this thread, the TSB, and a thread on the Infiniti forums helped me solve my problem. Perhaps this information will be useful to others.

I have a 2003 I35 and the drivers seat quit moving back and forth. However, it was pretty clear that the motor was trying to move the seat. Given that it had been getting noisier and noisier, it seemed that the plastic gear on the left side had become stripped.

The TSB is essential to get the work done. The proposed removal method in this thread won't work because you cannot get the trim loose without breaking something. At least I never could get it loose. I was going to try and attach the TSB but it's too big for this forum's posting guidelines. You can get it at the Infiniti website: http://infinitihelp.com/

However, the information in the thread about how to get the seat to move was invaluable. I was able to use a 1/4" drive short handle ratchet wrench with 10 mm socket to release the seat track mounting bolt on the left side. By pulling forward on the left side, the right side did move forward when I used the switch and I was able to move the seat forward to remove the rear mounting bolts. I reckon you could do this for both sides if it is the motor that has died. They should have put this in the TSB but did not.

I took the seat completely out of the car as noted in the TSB simply because it was easier to work on but you could probably do it with the seat leaned back. Per the TSB, I did disconnect the battery and waited about 3 minutes just to be sure I didn’t gum up the air bags.

Gear Replacement

I removed the seat motor and screw shafts per the TSB. I then disconnected the right side from the left at the motor. There is no need to remove the motor from the left side screw shaft. With the motor and screw shaft on a work table:

a) Remove the four bolts that hold the gear box mounting bracket in place. Remember which way it came off, although I think there is only one way you can put it back on.

b) With a pair of pliers, pull off the black end cap on the gear box… it comes off pretty easy.

c) Inside you will find a nut on the threaded shaft portion of the screw shaft. Remove it and you will be able to remove the screw shaft.

d) Looking into the gear box from one side you will see the plastic gear. Looking in from the back side you will see a bearing. Using a small dowel, tap the gear and bearing to knock it out of gear box. This is the only way the gear will come out unless it is broken but in any event, you have to put the new gear back in this way and not from the front or you will have the shoulder in the wrong place and it will bind. When you knock out the bearing, don’t lose the two wavy washers between the gear and bearing.

e) Clean the gear box very carefully as I had bits of broken gear plastic in it, which I am sure would not have helped in a new installation. Rotate the motor to turn the worm screw to disgorge all plastic pieces.

f) Put a small dollop of white grease on the worm screw inside the gear box attached to the motor. Grease the gear teeth of the new plastic gear and slide it in from the back side. Grease the two wavy washers and the back side of the bearing. Insert the two wavy washers, and press the bearing back into the gear box, easy to do with your fingers.

g) Slip the screw shaft back into the bearing and through the splines on the gear until it comes all the way home against the shoulder on the screw shaft. Then tighten the nut back onto the threaded portion of the screw shaft, push the end cap back on, and reinstall the mounting bracket using the four bolts.

h) At this point, go back to the TSB for further instructions on how to align the seat track mounting tabs and re-install the seat.

I really appreciate people taking the time to write down their experiences because it helped me do the job and saved me a lot of money. I hope these instructions on gear replacement will be useful to someone.

Total time to disassemble the seat, replace the gear, and put the seat back in the car was about one and a half hours.

There are two types of gears being sold on Amazon and eBay. One has two flat sides, the other is splined. I can tell you that the ’03 I35 is splined, and the charts that I have seen says the splined gear works for 00-03 I35’s. Beware! Several of the sites I visited said the flat sided gear was the correct one.

Cheers.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Movies have always been the greatest source of entertainment in our lives. This Movie is an upcoming action spy comedy film.
The Movie Download and Online Watching free everything for you...
For More....
Plz Visit :
<a href="https://www.dooiitt.com/">full movie download filmywap</a>
<a href="https://www.dooiitt.com/">full movie download Tamilmv</a>
Old 09-21-2017, 03:55 AM

ATTENTION Moderators - ban this spammer!!
Attached Thumbnails Fixing the Dumb Seat Motor-troll_spray.jpg  
Old 09-26-2017, 07:54 AM

glad someone made this post, if you have any pictures of the specific motors on the seat it would be greatly appreciated. My driver seat does not tilt up or down but still moves forward. The pass seat does not move forward or backward. How do i fix this?
Old 09-26-2017, 11:40 AM

There's basically 2 things that go bad with these seats - the motor dies or the gear that drives the tracks strips. Do you hear the motors trying to run?

I remember some threads on replacing the motors, but I don't have the links.
Old 10-01-2017, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
There's basically 2 things that go bad with these seats - the motor dies or the gear that drives the tracks strips. Do you hear the motors trying to run?

I remember some threads on replacing the motors, but I don't have the links.
Yes i finally got the pass side seat to move forward and backward again after hitting the motor. Now on the driver side seat i can hear the motor when i try to move the seat up or down.
Old 10-01-2017, 12:46 PM

If you figure out i if you need gears, here is a link:
http://www.odometergears.com/product...2+-+Present/91

There is a motor kit for the back and forth sliding that I think are still available.
# 87562-C9926 for memory seat, cost is around $360 on line plus s&h
# 87562-C9927 for non-memory seat, cost is around $260 on line plus s&h
Old 10-02-2017, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
If you figure out i if you need gears, here is a link:
http://www.odometergears.com/product...2+-+Present/91

There is a motor kit for the back and forth sliding that I think are still available.
# 87562-C9926 for memory seat, cost is around $360 on line plus s&h
# 87562-C9927 for non-memory seat, cost is around $260 on line plus s&h
kool
Old 09-11-2018, 09:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks so much for this detailed information.
Old 04-11-2021, 12:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm going to replace the gear on the driver's side

2002 I35.....don't need to remove the seat but need to get the trim pieces off without damaging them. Outer trim nearest the driver's door and the front lowest one. Should be easy but it is not obvious once I got the sole rear screw out of the side piece. I would like to not break the pieces !!! Any help would be appreciated !!!!!

Last edited by Jim King; 04-12-2021 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-18-2021, 04:43 PM

When you did this did your seat back still tilt front/back, or were all the power movements in-op?

tutuapp 9apps showbox

Last edited by anolkayn; 04-19-2021 at 06:21 AM.
Old 08-22-2021, 08:15 AM
Nmw
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by PAREDLINE
For all of you with a seat motor that doesn't go forward or back- I fixed mine today. It finally got on my nerves enough.

I didn't take pictures but while it's fresh I will summarize.

There is nothing wrong with the motor itself. What happens is one of the contacts inside the motor bends and doesnt make contact with the shaft. As a result of this, the motor doesn't work.

First thing you need to do is get the seat off.

Step 1: If the seat is in a position where you cant get access to the bolts do the following:

From the back seat floor look under your driver seat. You will see (or feel) two screw shafts going from the front to back. About 1/3 of the way back from the front you will see a 10mm bolt on each side.

Remove this bolt on each side. It might be a little tricky because you cant really see it but you can probably feel it. I used an open end ratcheting wrench to remove mine.

Once you do this, the seat will move forward and backward freely.

Step 2: Remove the seat bolts. 2 in front. 2 in back.

Step 3: You don't need to remove the seat. What you will need to do is rest the seat on its back so the bottom is facing the front of the car.

Step 4: If you haven't done step 1 yet. Do it now.

Step 5: The motor thats in the front of the seat is the one you have to fix. Give it a few taps. See if it works now. Chances are it will. Only you're not done. You will see a motor with a shaft that runs from left to right. 90 degrees to the screw shafts.

Step 6: There are 4 philips screws on each side of the front of the seat. Remove these screws. The motor should drop out of the mechanism along with the horizontal shaft and the screw shafts. If it does not drop out, you unbolted the wrong bolts.

Step 7: Take the entire thing to a clean working spot. Loosen the 3 screws holding the motor together. Take the metal cover off the motor. Inside is a magnet so you will have to pull a little.

Step 8: Once the cover is off, pull on the shaft of the motor so it disengages

Step 9: You will see two metal contacts near the base of where the shaft is inserted into the drive mechanism (the thing you just pulled out)

Chances are one or both of these contacts is not making contact with the shaft.

They both should be in contact with the shaft for the motor to work. Simply bend the one that's deformed back towards the center.

Step 10: Reassemble everything with the motor. You can clean out the inside but dont use anything that's too strong that it will strip the lubrication.

Step 11: On each of the screw shafts there is a mounting site where the shaft mounts to the actual seat. These must be in the same location on each side of the seat or else the seat will be crooked.

To ensure you assemble them in the same location (it gets a little tricky here) first screw them by hand so that both sides are on the bottom (furthest away from the motor).

Then turn both of them 5 turns toward the front. or 3 turns or 7. Just turn them both the same amount.

Step 12: Reassemble the entire assembly back onto the bottom of the seat.

Step 13: Reattach the 4 phillips bolts on each side

Step 14: Reattach the harness to the seat motor.

Step 15: Using a helper, one person hold both of the mounting sites on the screw shafts while another one presses the button to move the seat back. This will move the mounts back to where they mount onto the seat.

Replace the 10mm bolts you removed and make sure the location of the mounts along the screw shaft is exactly the same on both sides.

Step 16: Replace the seat and bolts. Everything should be working.

I had no idea what I was doing in the beginning so I removed the seat back and the airbag harness was there. I disconnected that. I don't know if it's essential. I would do that just to be extra safe.
Did you disconnect the battery in order to do this?
Old 02-21-2022, 09:06 AM

My seat stopped moving forward and back yesterday so in searching the forum I found this older thread which was still being used in late 2021. The directions in the first post worked but I wanted to add photos of the two bolts to undo that allow the seat to move forward and back freely. I am 6'1'' so with the seat all the way back I could not access the two bolts that hold the rear of the seat down.

In the photos the bolts to free the seat and allow it to move forward and back are the gold colored 10mm bolts. In my case one of the two screws that moves the seat became jammed. Undoing all the bolts and tilting the seat back freed it and after bolting everything back together it works fine.
If a moderator would like this to go somewhere else that is fine as well.