5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

What the Hell

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 05:09 AM

What the Hell

Ok so i am driving to CT the other saturday and i pull over for a pit stop. When i turn my car back on my radio and CD player are not working. It is now monday and still nothing. I checked fuses, they are all fine. My climate control works and the rest of the car works fine. What happened to my radio??? If it matter its the Bose Unit. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-16-2006, 05:14 AM

yeah this happened to me....
but i was kinda happy since it gave me a reason to upgrade the audio
so i never figured it out but i hope soomeone knows the answer for you
but same thing happend .... while driving all of a sudden the cd player wouldnt work and never did until i replaced the unit....
try taking the radio out and check for loose wires if anything
good luck
Old 10-16-2006, 07:06 AM

Hey.. uhm this pretty much doesnt have much of anything to do with your issue, but it is kind of along the same lines and since i cant start new posts, ill leave my story anyway haha

I own a 2002 GLE and i have that age-old issue with the CD player...(the speakers cut out intermittently and inconsistently but ONLY when playing the CD player...)
Anyway, for the time being i kind of ignored that issue and continued to play CD's for a little while. Then one day and im not sure what exactly had happened but my CD player just kinda went crazy on me...

I think somehow a CD might have gotten stuck either upon insertion or trying to eject it because everytime i switched to CD mode- you could hear it moving around in there, but it wouldnt load, play or eject any cd's after that point. After about a minute or so of the cd player TRYING to do something, it would 'give up' and the CD player would then read: "CD ERR FO". So basically it wouldnt play, i couldnt get any cd's out of it and couldn't load anymore into it either. Kinda let that go for a week, then one day just randomly decided to try ejecting a cd and it worked. Now itsb een working ever since but i still have that dam speaker issue.

BTW - has anyone figured out what exactly causes that issue?? -Why the speakers decide to cut out but only when playing a CD. And why they seem to be affected my motion. I swear, when it cuts out, all i have to do is hit my brakes or turn a certain way and they'll cut right back in. Seems like some kind of lose connection, but if thats the case, why do the speakers work 100% of the time with the radio?!? its so random. I think it might have to do with the design of the dam the CD player being placed directly under the vents. I noticed this past summer that my vents got extremely condesated when I had the AC on one day...maybe the water dripping into the cd player causes some kinda shortage?
Old 10-16-2006, 08:02 AM

yeah the speaker cutting out story has been around here for a while.... if you look around i believe theres a how-to thread for this but u have to basically take the whole radio apart and fine one "snap in" connection a soder it so the wires dont come apart
Old 10-17-2006, 06:14 AM

Wow i love the thread hijack. How do i take my damn radio out. i was looking at it for about 20 minutes last night and found no way.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:21 AM

Taking the original Bose out.......hmmmmmm; Not fun from what I remember of it. Those stubby phillips head screws that secure it to the "cage" were what cause me the most trouble. I think they're put in with a impact wrench at the factory !!!
Old 10-17-2006, 07:32 AM

Give the radio a good couple of smacks. a few on each side of the console too. chances are it'll turn on.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:51 AM

Mine was getting tempermental in that it would cut out the left side speakers from time to time and a side hit to the console would temporarily fix it.

This was the final "replacement decision" factor for me !!!!
Old 10-17-2006, 10:12 AM
Seoul Man

If your radio doesn't turn on anymore, I don't know what exactly the problem is. For those of you having the left-side speakers cut out when you play a CD on the Bose system, it is a very common problem for Bose "premium" sound systems in the 5th gen Maxima. There is a way to fix it if you feel like dismantling your stock radio and fixing one loose ribbon cable. The thread with detailed instructions and pictures is here in the 5th gen forum, but I don't feel like searching for it right now. I personally replaced my radio and got a PAC SWI-X adapter to retain the functions of my steering wheel audio controls along with an OEM amp adapter so the stock amp and "sub" would work with the new head unit. I could have just replaced everything, but I didn't have the money or the inclination to do so at the time.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:20 AM

Yea i have been smacking it and nothing has come on yet. I went to Tweeter today and ordered a double din alpine touch screen that just came out, dvd, dvd-r, cd/cd-r mp3/wav i ca't wait for it to come in. 900 bucks, thing just came out at the begining of the month. I forget the model number but its sweet. 160 watt, 4 channel, HD 6.5 inch screen. I cant wait wahoo. Now i need to order my exhaust and K sports i ahve been slackin. Only mod i have is Ingen Intake
Old 10-17-2006, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by MWilds 01 20th
Yea i have been smacking it and nothing has come on yet. I went to Tweeter today and ordered a double din alpine touch screen that just came out, dvd, dvd-r, cd/cd-r mp3/wav i ca't wait for it to come in. 900 bucks, thing just came out at the begining of the month. I forget the model number but its sweet. 160 watt, 4 channel, HD 6.5 inch screen. I cant wait wahoo. Now i need to order my exhaust and K sports i ahve been slackin. Only mod i have is Ingen Intake
If you have bose you better get yourself a new set of speakers too. Bose speakers will sound like garbage with an aftermarket radio.

Or you can get one of those converters.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:09 PM

That Alpine is really going to wake up what you have. I'd punish the factory setup before opting to get new component speakers also. They just might surprise you with what they'll do.

I've never changed mine out, but I don't distort them either, and they dont' seem to have a problem overplaying my kicker 15's / 1500 watt setup. But, to each his own .