5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

front stabilizer links

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 07:01 AM

HELP, front wheel is making noise

hey boys, my front passenger wheel is making a knocking sound when i go over the bumps and pot holes. i called stealership and got the stabilizer links replaced...thats what they recommended. but the car still makes that noise, it's driving me crazyyyyyyyyyyy since where i live is 90% pot holes on the street, i need this problem fixed ASAP and only you guys can help me out, i dont want to spend any unnecessary money to the stealership anymore......HELPPPPP!!!
Old 10-17-2006, 07:30 AM
+Cru OG

Jack up the passenger side. Wiggle the wheel, if it moves, it's wheel bearing time.

It *seems* like you have a wheel bearing problem. Hope you get it fixed.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:34 AM

wheel bearings would make a chirping/whirring noise and if they were bad you'd feel a slight drag on your brakes making your car pull to one side.

Sounds like you have a bad strut mount, strut, or ball joint.

but first check your air pressure. If its too high on that one wheel you'll get that type of noise too.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by PAREDLINE

the service guy mentioned about it, but it was too much for me to get it fixed, coz i plan to upgrade my susupension next summer..
Old 10-17-2006, 07:44 AM
+Cru OG

Originally Posted by PAREDLINE
wheel bearings would make a chirping/whirring noise and if they were bad you'd feel a slight drag on your brakes making your car pull to one side.

but first check your air pressure. If its too high on that one wheel you'll get that type of noise too.
It could be that too.

Bad wheel bearings *knock* too (of course, more pronounced when turning the steering wheel).
Old 10-17-2006, 07:45 AM

where is the wheel bearing? is it hard to do it at home? or this is something for the shop to do it?

thanks guys
Old 10-17-2006, 12:00 PM

if the service guy said you have a bad strut/mount, or ball joint, why are you worrying about wheel bearings.

Sometimes I dont understand people on this forum....
Old 10-17-2006, 05:02 PM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by maxximaa
where is the wheel bearing? is it hard to do it at home? or this is something for the shop to do it?

thanks guys
Depends on if your home has a hydraulic press.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i have the same problem and ive had a lot of people tell me its the wheel bearings took it to the stealership and they cant find anything is it maybe because my car has 58k miles and theyre waiting for my powertrain warranty to run out??? i think so too but ill c what happens
Old 10-17-2006, 07:42 PM
retired moderator

Are you guys smoking crack?

Having had several bad wheel bearings, I can tell you a few things:
1. They moan, whir, or grind. But they don't "knock" going over bumps in a way that would resemble a swaybar endlink.
2. If you get a knocking when turning the steering wheel, it's not a wheel bearing, it is a CV joint/driveaxle gone bad.
3. It sounds like your problem could be:
- a loose upper strut nut (possible)
- bad strut bearing (unlikely)
- bad strut. The right front struts on maximas are NOTORIOUS for going bad (mine was replaced under warranty). Replace the strut. This is the MOST likely culprit.
- strut upper mount contacting some mounting screws for something in the engine bay (I forget what). There's a TSB out there for it, but I've never heard of anyone having that problem and seriously doubt that's what it is.

Nothing he described resembles a wheel bearing in any way
Old 10-18-2006, 05:05 AM

ok, so it has something to do with the strut. i dont want to replace the strut yet, coz i plan to lower the ride with new springs and struts next year. but in the mean time, i'll check if something is loosen...

thank you for all the comments....
wish me luck plz..
Old 10-21-2006, 02:55 AM

ok, now i think for sure is the strut itself.

my question is:

should i wait till summer to get struts and springs replaced?
or should i stick with stock?
Old 10-21-2006, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by irish44j
Are you guys smoking crack?

Having had several bad wheel bearings, I can tell you a few things:
1. They moan, whir, or grind. But they don't "knock" going over bumps in a way that would resemble a swaybar endlink.
2. If you get a knocking when turning the steering wheel, it's not a wheel bearing, it is a CV joint/driveaxle gone bad.
3. It sounds like your problem could be:
- a loose upper strut nut (possible)
- bad strut bearing (unlikely)
- bad strut. The right front struts on maximas are NOTORIOUS for going bad (mine was replaced under warranty). Replace the strut. This is the MOST likely culprit.
- strut upper mount contacting some mounting screws for something in the engine bay (I forget what). There's a TSB out there for it, but I've never heard of anyone having that problem and seriously doubt that's what it is.

Nothing he described resembles a wheel bearing in any way
Finally someone intelligent. I was wondering why the hell everyone wase whe telling him to change the wheel bearing when the problem was already diagnosed by the service tech at Nissan as a probably strut problem.

As for the original poster. It doesnt matter what suspension you want to get. You can still change the struts. People just do it at the same time to save labor.

Get a strut with a lifetime warranty. When you're ready to change your springs, i'm sure the strut is going to be bad (miraculously) and at that time you can have it replaced under warranty- and it's all new.