5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Rear Sway Bar Break-in?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 09:27 AM
RadMax02

Rear Sway Bar Break-in?

Has anyone noticed any sort of change after riding with the sway bar for a while? After it was first installed I felt it made a fantastic difference and loved the new handling. Now, I've recently felt like the rear suspension is a little bouncier and not really hugging the corners like I had noticed shortly after the install. I climbed underneath the car and checked to make sure the RSB bolts hadn't loosened up, which they hadn't. Can anyone explain why I'm feeling the effects of the sway bar diminish? Could it all be in my head?
Old 10-17-2006, 09:54 AM

it's in your head... time for more suspension upgrages
Old 10-17-2006, 09:56 AM
FU, FU, FU, You're Cool..

You're used to the improved handling.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:08 AM
"tse-tse fly"

Originally Posted by miksen
You're used to the improved handling.

I just installed mine last week and I agree with the improved handling....what time frame did you start adjusting to the feeling?
Old 10-17-2006, 10:59 AM
RadMax02

I installed mine a few weeks ago, so that'd be the time frame. I agree, the most likely answer is that its all in my head. Anyone notice their minds playing tricks like mine once they got accustomed to the change?
Old 10-17-2006, 01:10 PM

From time to time you should check the nuts and bolts on the RSB making sure that they are tight. I've heard a few people said that they had a nut come loose. Just a precaution.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What makes you think its the sway bar at all.. you could have a blown strut in the back
Old 10-17-2006, 05:29 PM
大陆弟弟

Use Lock Tite on all the bolts to prevent them from loosening later.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:29 PM

... all i have for suspension on mine is ftsb and rsb and at first the combo was cool..and i was really impressed.. now im just used to it like you and i want to throw some tokicos with eibachs on there but i have no money for that now>>>

if u think its not making a difference take the rsb off and take it for a spin
Old 10-17-2006, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by mist max2000

That normally will solve many head problems. I know it has for me...more than once. Hope thats all it is man. Good luck.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:41 AM
RadMax02

I was thinking of doing that myself and likely will when I find some time on a weekend. It'd be a fun little experiment. I do plan to add the FSTB to the package in the near future too.

Also, I like the locktight idea.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:51 PM

ok and again.. what makes you so sure its the sway bar? You seem to be convinced it is the sway bar yet you have not presented any reasons why you would think that
Old 10-18-2006, 06:42 PM
RadMax02

Originally Posted by sciff5
ok and again.. what makes you so sure its the sway bar? You seem to be convinced it is the sway bar yet you have not presented any reasons why you would think that
Well what I'm describing isn't really that severe that I would have blown a strut in the back, althought the thought had crossed my mind. I've been paying close attention to the way the car feels around turns and I'm convinced I was making something bigger of it than it actually was. Also I've only put about 10K miles on the car since I bought it certified not too long ago, and I haven't done much driving on nasty roads so I don't think I've damaged my suspension. The reason behind my original post I guess was to see if others have noticed the diminished effect (even if only in their heads) of the sway bar over time. In retrospect I'm not even sure if it was a smart question to begin with
Old 10-18-2006, 07:51 PM

it happens to everyone we keep asking for more parts and excuses to upgrade at least thats what i say to my-self
Old 10-22-2006, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by JasTheAce12
Well what I'm describing isn't really that severe that I would have blown a strut in the back, althought the thought had crossed my mind. I've been paying close attention to the way the car feels around turns and I'm convinced I was making something bigger of it than it actually was. Also I've only put about 10K miles on the car since I bought it certified not too long ago, and I haven't done much driving on nasty roads so I don't think I've damaged my suspension. The reason behind my original post I guess was to see if others have noticed the diminished effect (even if only in their heads) of the sway bar over time. In retrospect I'm not even sure if it was a smart question to begin with
jas I agree with sciff weather your car was certefied or not if another piece is going bad ex:strut mounts,bushing in between,loose nut not torque to spec,rear trailing arm All would make a diff especially if its just starting If you got one weak link in suspension you feel it you know what your car drives like
Old 10-23-2006, 03:56 AM
RadMax02

Originally Posted by stormbringer03
jas I agree with sciff weather your car was certefied or not if another piece is going bad ex:strut mounts,bushing in between,loose nut not torque to spec,rear trailing arm All would make a diff especially if its just starting If you got one weak link in suspension you feel it you know what your car drives like

With those words of wisdom, maybe I'll setup an apt to get it looked at and see if there could be anything wrong. It has continued to bother me lately. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:14 AM

Are you comparing the ride quality and handling while taking the SAME turns? The RSB does make the rear end tigther, and thus more lively and prone to "jumping" out if the road surface is bumpy on the turn. So if you're comparing it to different turns, my bet is that you were going around a bumpy curve when you experienced the bounciness.

Like others have said, there are other factors at play, but just wanted to see how you were making the comparison.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:53 AM

its a mental thing man.. stock shes like a boat so when u throw the rsb on ur like wowww and u forget what stock was like after a while,.. i doubt theres something wrong cuz i feel the same thing about mine
Old 10-23-2006, 11:57 AM
RadMax02

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
Are you comparing the ride quality and handling while taking the SAME turns? The RSB does make the rear end tigther, and thus more lively and prone to "jumping" out if the road surface is bumpy on the turn. So if you're comparing it to different turns, my bet is that you were going around a bumpy curve when you experienced the bounciness.

Like others have said, there are other factors at play, but just wanted to see how you were making the comparison.

I'm not sure how consistent my sample space is on this "experiment". Some of the turns I take most often (and originally noticed the improvement) aren't the ones bothering me anymore. So maybe i'm not comparing apples to apples. But while we're somewhat on topic of how she rides on bumpy roads, how do you guys feel your maximas due on less than smooth roads? I don't know if its the tighter sport-tuned suspension that the maxima comes with as compared to my old camry but its definitely not a smooth ride over small potholes. Do others agree? I'm sure there are plenty who will comment on how i'll have to upgrade the suspension but I'm really not looking to do that now due to current budget, as well as the lacking desire to get involved with that just yet.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:06 PM

well IMO the sway bar is going to stiffen up the suspension in general so therfor is going to be slightly harsher over potholes... also the SE springs are stiffer than the GLE springs ...idk if that answered your ? but i i dont like the feel of small bumps either.. but then again im around 75K so the shocks/struts could be getting to that point...i guess thats next summers project
Old 10-23-2006, 03:44 PM

well IMO the sway bar is going to stiffen up the suspension in general so therfor is going to be slightly harsher over potholes... also the SE springs are stiffer than the GLE springs ...idk if that answered your ? but i i dont like the feel of small bumps either.. but then again im around 75K so the shocks/struts could be getting to that point...i guess thats next summers project
actually its suppose to be less harsh because the rsb helps share or distribute the ladden weight of the vehicle when you actually hit the pothole if u find that as a matter of opinion as Brian Catts he helped me w/ suspension ??? up the **** before even a purchase 3yrs ago with my 4th gen I went through Drama w/ my 4th gen suspension due to stut mounts/bearings/ nuts not torque the right way so I gave myself a good couple hands on experience(+ THE ALMIGHTY ORG)Now I know how the suspension works intimatly 5 gen no diff exept more of a boat to deal with thats what made me go ES(IMO) it works for me
Old 10-23-2006, 04:07 PM

actually its suppose to be less harsh because the rsb helps share or distribute the ladden weight of the vehicle when you actually hit the pothole if u find that as a matter of opinion as Brian Catts he helped me w/ suspension ??? up the **** before even a purchase 3yrs ago with my 4th gen I went through Drama w/ my 4th gen suspension due to stut mounts/bearings/ nuts not torque the right way so I gave myself a good couple hands on experience(+ THE ALMIGHTY ORG)Now I know how the suspension works intimatly 5 gen no diff exept more of a boat to deal with thats what made me go ES(IMO) it works for me
fair enough...what about while in mid turn? would it still be less harsh in your opinion?..my point was that its going to stiffen the ride, hence you can take turns 'harder' slightly more g's Maybe ..i would think due to the increase in oversteer from the rsb that your going to be able to take turns harder if you will and if your on stock struts maybe they feel harsher in combination with the SE springs..?? just my .02
Old 10-23-2006, 04:42 PM

I could agree def. but then we go back to only u know ur car. hey hoped we helped with our cents
Old 10-24-2006, 08:34 AM
RadMax02

Yeah, I appreciate everyone's inputs. There's no doubt that the RSB increases the hugs on turns. Its hard to tell from experience what it does to my ride over small potholes because its so easy to forget what it felt like before. I think I would agree with what you said mist max2000. No doubt much of these concerns are just due to the size of the car, its as big as I'd ever like to drive, so its only fair to expect so much on stock springs and struts. I'd say this puts my original question to rest. Now I'm jusr curious what a FSTB will do for the way I can hug turns. Its the next change I'll make (mostly due to cost and ease of install).
Old 10-24-2006, 09:00 AM

actually its suppose to be less harsh because the rsb helps share or distribute the ladden weight of the vehicle when you actually hit the pothole
I have to disagree with this statement.

AFAIK, the RSB tightens up the rear suspension by "coupling" the struts on both sides. This tying of the suspension together essentially increases the spring rate of the side that is compressed more because the increased connectivity between the 2 sides increases the degree to which the springs work together.

What happens when you're taking a turn and the inside rear wheel hits a bump is that the resultant "shock" is greater because the RSB has tied both sides of the suspension (springs are in a way more "dependent") than if you did not have a RSB, in which case the springs on either side would act more independently and the bump you feel will not be as severe.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by JasTheAce12
Now I'm jusr curious what a FSTB will do for the way I can hug turns. Its the next change I'll make (mostly due to cost and ease of install).
It'll decrease the oversteer (caused by the FSTB) a tad and make the front end more stable since it ties the 2 strut towers together.

I posted my thoughts on the FSTB/RSB combo some time back here:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=412478
Old 10-24-2006, 10:29 AM

AFAIK, the RSB tightens up the rear suspension by "coupling" the struts on both sides. This tying of the suspension together essentially increases the spring rate of the side that is compressed more because the increased connectivity between the 2 sides increases the degree to which the springs work together. What happens when you're taking a turn and the inside rear wheel hits a bump is that the resultant "shock" is greater because the RSB has tied both sides of the suspension (springs are in a way more "dependent") than if you did not have a RSB, in which case the springs on either side would act more independently and the bump you feel will not be as severe.
thats what i was kinda getting at in my first few posts (#20 and 22),.. glad someone filled in with a more logical statement..thanks for clearing this up
Old 10-24-2006, 01:18 PM

thanks for the clarification Puppetmaster but what about going straight & hiting a pothole would my statment stand
Old 10-25-2006, 10:30 AM

how far from the bend of the bar have yall been placing the brackets that go over the axle?
Old 10-25-2006, 11:12 AM

thanks for the clarification Puppetmaster but what about going straight & hiting a pothole would my statment stand
Not if only one wheel hits, because the same logic applies. If both wheels hit a bump at the same time, it shouldn't be much different from not having a RSB.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:34 AM

how far from the bend of the bar have yall been placing the brackets that go over the axle?
to commont on this.. having the brackets at the farthest point from the bend would prove the most oversteer? is that correct? thats what ive always thought and thats where mine about are maybe im wrong?.. anyone?
Old 10-25-2006, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
Not if only one wheel hits, because the same logic applies. If both wheels hit a bump at the same time, it shouldn't be much different from not having a RSB.

thats what I thought thanx