5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Trunk Scratches bumper.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2000, 11:58 PM

I have a 2k GLE and wondering what the truck scratching the bumper issue is. Can anyone post pictures about this problem? Do all maximas have this problem? Thanks

littledog
2kGLE
Old 10-17-2000, 05:05 AM

Check back a few threads or do a search....I think PaulGXE posted some pics... Basically the trunk is making contact with the bumper lip when closed thus producing scratches..on some(mine) there are 2 bumps on the inside of the truck lid that will cause 2 ugly marks on your bumper lip. The fix is to go to the dealer and have them install 5 new clips that will bring the bumper lip closer to the body so the trunk lid does not contact it anymore. If you check out the TSB at http://www.nhtsa.com you will see a range of VIN #'s that this affects

Good Luck, I need to get it done before the paint is worn off of those 2 bumps and exposes them..
Old 10-17-2000, 06:59 AM

Yes I have pictures. I had my dealer check it out on Monday. They've ordered my new clips and will fix it later this week. I caught mine in time, so I don't need a repaint. At least 3 other Maxima's at work have the same exact problem.

http://www.his.com/wc/maxima/photos/trunk/
Old 10-18-2000, 07:32 AM

Service Bulletin Numbers

okay i am from canada the 188 number is not in service from canada once we have the number how do i found the details of the bulletin service number and ?? thanks

: NTB00030A
Bulletin Sequence Number: 139
Date of Bulletin: 0006
NHTSA Item Number: SB613978
Make: NISSAN
Model: MAXIMA
Year: 2000
Component: SUSPENSION:INDEPENDENT FRONT
Summary: SERVICE INFORMATION REGRDING RIGHT FRONT STRUT NOISES. *TT
Old 10-18-2000, 08:14 AM

Thanks

I just went out to my 2K SE and saw it was doing the same thing...I appreciate you guys pointing that out....
Old 10-18-2000, 08:28 AM

Am I the only one who doesn't see anything in those pics?? perhaps the pictures aren't doing it justice, you'll have to show me on Fri. Paul.

Old 10-18-2000, 09:05 AM

I really couldn't either...

I really couldn't see the scratches that well either in the photos...but just for the heck of it I went out to my car to see if there was anything there and sure enough...the trunk lid was scratching my bumper. I would advise just checking it out yourself.
Old 10-18-2000, 09:22 AM

I need better close-ups. You'll see it much easier in person.

Originally posted by sprung
Am I the only one who doesn't see anything in those pics?? perhaps the pictures aren't doing it justice, you'll have to show me on Fri. Paul.

Old 10-18-2000, 04:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

TSB #: NTB00055

nm
Old 10-18-2000, 06:06 PM

Had my dealer

look at it yesterday...of course he hadn't heard of the TSB and could not believe that anything could be done to prevent the scratches. He said he would check and see if there was a TSB.

Called today and he said he ordered the clips...he also said that from now on when he has any questions about the 2K Max HE is going to call me from now on...I guess thats the Service managers tounge in cheek way of saying I've been a pain in his ***

Does anyone know if the TSB states that the dealer is supposed to buff out the scratches or recommend a repaint or etc?? I have a feeling that my dealer is just gonna put the new clips in and say "here ya go" Would just like to know if the TSB mentions this outright.
Old 10-18-2000, 07:52 PM

I would like the same information about buffing out the scratches. I have an appointment this Friday morning to take mine in. I looked and noticed the scratches. I should probably pressure them into telling me if they have the parts or not before spending lots of time there (I'm waiting for it while there).

In hindsight, the trunk does open kind of funny like it is getting hung up on something. It kind of shakes when I use the "key fob" thingy to open the trunk.
Old 10-19-2000, 03:18 AM

SCRATCHES IN CANADA

CALLED MY DEALER TOLD HIM ABOUT IT HE SAID REALLY FIRST I HEARD OF THIS BUT IT WAS THE SAME THING WITH THE 4TH GENERATION WILL ORDER THE CLIPS

ROCKEN
Old 10-19-2000, 06:03 AM

Should I be worried?

I have an appointment for Monday to have the Dealer fix the trunk problem. Scary thing was that they said it might take a while to fix...and that the body shop will have to do the work in order to make sure the alignment is right. I guess I will let you know if they plan to buff out the existing scratches. Also I have the Bose system...did anyone notice the rear subwoofer making a kind of buzzing noise? It doesn't sound like a blown speaker but with heavy bass you can hear this buzz when it "booms"...like something is loose...The dealer is replacing the speaker regardless but I just wandering in anyone else noticed.
Old 10-19-2000, 06:14 AM

NOT SURE

BUT IT SOUNDS LIKE THEY HAVE TO TAKE IT COMPLETLY OFF ADD THE CLIPS TO PULL THE BUMPER CLOSER TO THE CAR
I WILL BUFF MY LINES OUT WITH A MILD RUBBING COMPOUND
ROCKEN
Old 10-19-2000, 06:57 AM

Re: Had my dealer

I seem to remember that someone said the TSB states that buffing is the first step. If that doesn't work, a total repaint is in order.

Originally posted by jnm2kse
look at it yesterday...of course he hadn't heard of the TSB and could not believe that anything could be done to prevent the scratches. He said he would check and see if there was a TSB.

Called today and he said he ordered the clips...he also said that from now on when he has any questions about the 2K Max HE is going to call me from now on...I guess thats the Service managers tounge in cheek way of saying I've been a pain in his ***

Does anyone know if the TSB states that the dealer is supposed to buff out the scratches or recommend a repaint or etc?? I have a feeling that my dealer is just gonna put the new clips in and say "here ya go" Would just like to know if the TSB mentions this outright.
Old 10-19-2000, 09:41 AM

I've got the TSB . . .

and there is no mention of buffing out the scratches. Nevertheless, if a recognized problem exists that resulted in body damage, I doubt you'll get much pushback from the dealer if you insist that the damage be repaired when the problem is corrected.

If you guys want a copy of the TSB, contact me at bld522@pacbell.net and I'll e-mail it to you.

Bruce...
Old 10-19-2000, 10:09 AM

Re: I've got the TSB . . .

Great. Did your dealer give you a copy?

My information was based from http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.phtml?threadid=4151

I guess it was semi-wrong.

Originally posted by y2kse
and there is no mention of buffing out the scratches. Nevertheless, if a recognized problem exists that resulted in body damage, I doubt you'll get much pushback from the dealer if you insist that the damage be repaired when the problem is corrected.

If you guys want a copy of the TSB, contact me at bld522@pacbell.net and I'll e-mail it to you.

Bruce...
Old 10-19-2000, 06:17 PM

Got it from my dealer, Paul . . .

Old 10-20-2000, 04:30 AM

Thanks Bruce...

Man...I didn't realize it was so much work! It seems like everytime there is a TSB on something, my dealer doesnt know anything about it Don't get me wrong...they'll fix it with no questions asked but I always feel like my car is going to be the first one that they do this TSB work on and I don't want to be a test to see if new Joe Tech can hack it

Guess thats the price you pay for buying in the 'burbs