5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Attempt on Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 03:21 PM

Attempt on Headlights

Yea so about a week ago, some A-hole tried to steal my headlight outta my baby. he was unsucessful but in the process broke said light and the corner of the hood is bent and severely chipped...

i went through my insurance and the adjuster came out, priced out a new hood and two new lights, came out to about 2000 in damage. he gave me a check for 1500 made out to me and the bank i have the loan from.

i went to bodyshop that we deal with due to work and he can fix the hood and just throw in one headlight (which i can buy at a dealership for about 500 cause i have a discount due to work as well) since there wasn't any major damage to one of em. cost of this in considerably less than the check that was given to me. however i can't cash the check at my bank without a work order from the bodyshop. is that common? i would need teh money from the check in order to buy the parts, so i don't know how to work this out. any advice?
Old 10-29-2006, 03:45 PM
Cletus

my insurance has always just made the check out to me.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:08 PM

Man, I've never heard of that. Ask the bank if the work order is less than the amount given do you still receive the whole amount. If not, try to get an extra $500 worth of work done to the car and have it added to the work order. Better yet, see if the bodyshop will write you a new one minus the extra work and an added inflation to cover the cost of whatever you had done. You'd probably have to be good friends with the guy who runs the shop or he has to be pretty shifty. Either way the insurance company still stiffed you $500 from the adjuster's price
Old 10-29-2006, 04:15 PM

The $500 dollars less, is probably his deductible.... The check can not be cashed unless the bank endorse it.

As far as the bank needing to see a work order, its true. Ask if you can just show them the adjusters estimate instead.

Because the car is owned by you and the bank, until it's paid off. Once it's paid off, then you get a lien holder release, and get a new title at DMV with just your name on it as sole owner..
Old 10-29-2006, 04:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Freaknificent
Yea so about a week ago, some A-hole tried to steal my headlight outta my baby. he was unsucessful but in the process broke said light and the corner of the hood is bent and severely chipped...

i went through my insurance and the adjuster came out, priced out a new hood and two new lights, came out to about 2000 in damage. he gave me a check for 1500 made out to me and the bank i have the loan from.

i went to bodyshop that we deal with due to work and he can fix the hood and just throw in one headlight (which i can buy at a dealership for about 500 cause i have a discount due to work as well) since there wasn't any major damage to one of em. cost of this in considerably less than the check that was given to me. however i can't cash the check at my bank without a work order from the bodyshop. is that common? i would need teh money from the check in order to buy the parts, so i don't know how to work this out. any advice?
It depends on the bank that gave you the loan for your car. Some loans require that if you get into an accident, the insurance company puts both names on the check cause you don't own the car the bank still does. Some banks will issue the check solely to you but will require that a representive come out and make sure the damage has been repaired. It all depends on the terms of your loan.....
Old 10-30-2006, 06:13 AM

it depends on the insurance company as well; well i own my car so i don't know if my insurance would've made the check out to the bank, me, or bodyshop, but my insurance, GEICO, asked me where i was gonna get my recent repairs done and i said probably 'blah blah, but i'm not sure' and they made the check out to me and wrote down to customer's choice on their repair order sent back to the insurance company.
well, if you can't get the extra $, get the extra headlight, and sell the broken one on the org.i could use them if u give it to me at the right price. or perhaps just the electrical parts
Old 10-30-2006, 03:13 PM
retired moderator

I don't know what you guys have. My insurance will cut me a check for the damage. What I do with it is up to me. When I bumped someone in my 92 Accord and the airbag went off (no other damage) They cut me a check for $1200 and I pocketed it, and did not get a new airbag at all....
Old 10-30-2006, 03:23 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by irish44j
I don't know what you guys have. My insurance will cut me a check for the damage. What I do with it is up to me. When I bumped someone in my 92 Accord and the airbag went off (no other damage) They cut me a check for $1200 and I pocketed it, and did not get a new airbag at all....
exactly!
someone hit me in my 00 and i got a check for $2500. 6 months later i totaled the car so i pocketed the $2500.

is this an insurance issue or a lein holder issue? is the bank demanding that the insurance company make sure the money goes to the car? it would make sense since they actually own the car and want it fixed. i have never told my bank about an accident
Old 10-30-2006, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
well if i owned the car then the money would go to me which seems to be the case with your accord. because the car isn't paid off, its listed as me and the bank as owning the car which i why the check was in both names.

but all is well, the car is at the bodyshop and i was able to get the check cleared by the bank.

for a rental i have.... a 07 Chevy Cobalt.... the basic model. ... with manual windows...
i appreciate my car even more now.. :-(

but thanks for all the advice! my car should be fixed probably by the weekend!
Old 10-30-2006, 07:42 PM
$$ Ballin on a Budget $$

You could always contact your insurance to cancel your current check and ask them to cut a check directly to your body shop. Then get him to give you the difference.