5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

go faster stupid thing..

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 12:07 PM

go faster stupid thing..

When I'm on an on ramp going about 40, I floor it and rpms are at about 3200, and there is like no power at all that I want, at 60 mph when I floor it, the car is at about 4500 rpms or higher and takes off really well, is it normal for 5.5 gens to have no torque in 2nd gear in lower rpms, or is it just some problem that I might have? I mean literally no pull at all until I hit 4500 or higher rpms. This isn't enough power for me, I don't want to spend 600 dollars on mods just to make it faster from 3k rpms in 2nd gear, its auto btw.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

this thread is awesome.

get a manual.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:44 PM

You may have a bad MAF, it's a common problem on 5.5 th gen.

My 2 cents
Old 11-01-2006, 01:37 PM

Thanks for your advice, today it doesn't feel so sluggish, but yesterday I barely beat a stock 4th gen....So i know something is up
Old 11-01-2006, 02:43 PM

llama,
Is your "service engine soon" light on?

Being the owner of a couple of "unknown" performance cars as well as my 5 speed '01 Max, I've lurked on here for a long time. I've never posted as I don't have anything to offer from a performance standpoint on these cars (my Max is my slowest and weekend car). I got it dynoed a while back and it was already showing that my variable intake wasn't working. Now after losing MORE power and stalling on my gf several times, I been doing some reading and have now ordered a new MAF sensor. My "service engine soon" light is on as well. I put in new plugs (at 87k miles) and that seemed to help. I'm hoping the new MAF will do the trick to get it back a little power, as it shows a majority of the typical signs of one going bad. I now have 96k miles and I'm thinking of going turbo to let it catch up with the rest of my cars.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Cli-Max
llama,
Is your "service engine soon" light on?

Being the owner of a couple of "unknown" performance cars as well as my 5 speed '01 Max, I've lurked on here for a long time. I've never posted as I don't have anything to offer from a performance standpoint on these cars (my Max is my slowest and weekend car). I got it dynoed a while back and it was already showing that my variable intake wasn't working. Now after losing MORE power and stalling on my gf several times, I been doing some reading and have now ordered a new MAF sensor. My "service engine soon" light is on as well. I put in new plugs (at 87k miles) and that seemed to help. I'm hoping the new MAF will do the trick to get it back a little power, as it shows a majority of the typical signs of one going bad. I now have 96k miles and I'm thinking of going turbo to let it catch up with the rest of my cars.
Well the car is running okay today, but the fact that my car can barely beat a 4th gen just scares me, I think that I have some sort of a problem also my intake padding was ripped off and stuck I pulled it out, you guys think that might have been causing my problem? No codes whatsoever
Old 11-01-2006, 03:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

when's the last time you replaced your muffler bearings?
Old 11-01-2006, 03:54 PM
I'm watching you, boy...

I'd go with MAF... I had a very similar problem (no pull above 3.5k) and that fixed it. Good luck!
Old 11-01-2006, 04:27 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by llama
When I'm on an on ramp going about 40, I floor it and rpms are at about 3200, and there is like no power at all that I want
5.5g's do not downshift to 1st over 30mph, so it seems like they're dragging ***. Get it under 30 and you'l see a difference. This is annoying at times, as I was used to my 4th gen downshifting anywhere under 40 mph.

It could be your MAF, but considering that you're @ 3200 RPM WOT, it's just not an ideal RPM with respect to the gear ratio.

Originally Posted by SilverGLE
I had a very similar problem (no pull above 3.5k)
So it's similar in that it is nearly the opposite? Since....
Originally Posted by llama
literally no pull at all until I hit 4500