5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Accurate Price To Replace Axle Boots & Bearings...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 04:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Accurate Price To Replace Axle Boots & Bearings...

My boots have ripped and I need to replace them ASAP. I was quoted $75/side to replace the boots & re-grease them etc., but I was planning to have the bearings replaced just to be on the safe side. How much more should I expect to pay to replace them, and would this be considered a one-day job?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-20-2006, 05:02 PM

Bearing replacement quote

A friend told me she was quoted $300.00 by a local shop to
replace the left front bearings on her 2002 Maxima.

This was not a dealer but a 'reputable' local repair shop.

SJ
Old 11-20-2006, 05:24 PM

I know of nobody that will/can replace CV joint boots for 75 bucks a side. Most garages won't even do it. They'll only install new or rebuilt drive shaft assemblies. Rebuilt driveshafts vary in price due to some have rebuilt CV joints where others have new joints. There is a price difference obviously. They don't want you back complaining of bad CV joints after a few weeks. The reason is that if the boots have split and lost the grease the CV joints have been contaminated with water and road grit etc. and they are probably toast anyway or soon will be. It also adds a lot of labour time to the job because it takes time to disassemble the shafts sufficiently to replace the boot/s. As far as wheel bearings go, if you have no looseness or noise then they are probably OK. Even once the drive shafts are removed, replacing wheel bearings is another couple of hours labour per side (my guess) (the steering knuckles have to be removed) plus the price of the bearings.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:41 PM
Suspension Yoda

I highly suggest just replacing the entire axle. You don't know what contaminants got into the CV joint once the boot ripped. Why would you cover up an existing problem with a new boot and grease?

www.raxles.com
Marty is a great guy and sells an EXCELLENT product.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:23 AM

the bearings sound about right 300. i had it replaced on 1 wheel. yeah they claim it's an entire part and use a special machine to get them in....so much for packing my own ball bearing grease like i did back in high school...
Old 11-21-2006, 02:14 PM
Suspension Yoda

You need a press to get the wheel bearing out of the spindle and off the hub.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:51 PM

The boots protect the CV joints...they have nothing to do with the wheel bearings. $75 per side is very cheap and it is a very messy job so this can't be a dealer quote.

I would ask them what they are going to do for $75. They probably will just repack the CV joints with grease (ie. not clean out the old grease/dirt/sand/etc that has made it's way into the grease that remains in the CV joint) and snap-ring on replacement boots (using a boot that is cut so that it can just slip over the axle) without removing the half shaft from the car. This is not good because any contaminates in the grease will wear on the CV joints and the boot they are putting on will likely allow additional contaminate to get in. If they are truly going to remove the half shafts, clean out the old grease & contaminates, repack the CV joint and put a new boot on just like the remanufactured ones, that's a hell of a deal. But more than likely, that is not the case.

Ask them to tell/show you what they are going to do and an example of the boot and what the finished product will look like.

Why are you considering replacing your wheel bearings? Is there play in the bearings? Are they getting noisy?
Old 11-27-2006, 02:11 PM

I hear some noise coming from the bearings, I think... I had this issue with my 3rd Gen, so I'm familiar with what happens. I had the bearings replaced and didn't have any other issues, but then again I had it done at a Pep Boys near my house.

So you guys are suggesting that I just have the entire front axle replaced and be done with it? If it's better in the long run than just replacing the bearings and boots, then I'd rather do what will be the best option for the long run because I don't want to have to revisit this same issue in a couple of months.

Thanks for your input with regard to this, guys! I truly appreciate it!