5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

searched first, no luck - Need help with installing sub on base (not bose) system...

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 06:51 PM

searched first, no luck - Need help with installing sub on base (not bose) system...

Hey Everybody,

trust me I searched for this as much as I could because it almost seems like a noob question (although I've installed a decent amount of systems in my day).

Anyway, I want to keep my stock head unit/stereo/whatever you want to call it because I love the way it looks. I simply want to add an amp and a sub in the trunk, nothing fancy. Maybe some day I will add some nice tweeters in the front but for now all I want is a sub.

That being said, I have a line level converter(LLC), amp, wires, and a sub all ready to go. However, here is where I need help...

I have seen the charts for the colors of the wires for the rear speakers, which is where I plan on spliceing into to get the wires to the LLC - but I need help with where exactly to splice them.

I was curious if anybody has done this type of install before on a NON-bose system. I know the bose system has an 8 inch sub already installed which would have made this much easier because the wires are already in the trunk!

anyway, if anybody has done this and has taken any pictures or if there is a write-up that I overlooked, please help me out.

Currently my plan is to take the side plastic off (under the front seat-belts) and splice in there, and then run the wires to the trunk. I think this will be a pain, but since I still haven't run my power wire back there yet anyway I might as well do it all at once.

Thanks for the input!

~Andrew
Old 11-26-2006, 07:24 PM
Suspension Yoda

Splice the LOC in behind the factory head unit. That way, when you change your HU, the RCA's are already run.

I'm in Jersey, if you need help just PM me and I can give ya a hand.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:56 PM

I thought about doing this - is there a good write-up with how to take the head unit out? Or are the wires easily accessible w/out taking it out?

My only argument here is I don't think I'm ever going to switch the head unit out, and when I do eventually sell the car, I'm going to sell it (back to) my dad, who will drive it till it dies...

thanks!
Old 11-27-2006, 02:21 PM
Suspension Yoda

Wires are not easily accessible. Check the stickies for how to take out the HU.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:43 PM
Doctorate in Detailing

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
Splice the LOC in behind the factory head unit. That way, when you change your HU, the RCA's are already run.
That's how mine is wired. I have a non-Bose.