5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Need Your Help With MAF Issue. please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 12:51 PM
2002 maxima se

Need Your Help With MAF Issue. please!!!

I am going to replace the MAF sensor next week. i am getting the whole assembly(tube) with the sensor but most likely i will just replace the sensor element not the tube because it would save me heck of a time. i heard that we need to have the ECU reprogrammed after replacing the MAF sensor. i called te local dealer and hes asking for $145 just to update the ECU. he told me that it is necessary and must be done. i am already spending $120 for new MAF but dont feel like paying $145 to dealership. so what if i just dont get the ECU reprogrammed what can happen? and can i start the car right after replacing the new MAF sensor or should i leave the car off with the negative cable unplugged for overnight and then start the engine? please help me out because its my first time replacing the MAF and i dont want to damage it again! thanks in advance.
Old 11-24-2006, 01:20 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

no need to do the ECU repro..... replace the whole thing not just the sensor... easier....... good luck
Old 11-24-2006, 01:27 PM
♠♠♠♠♠

I, and many others have replaced the MAF and did not get the dealership to reprogram the ECU. Seems to work fine.
Old 11-24-2006, 01:48 PM

You only need to update the ECU if u get a check engine light, which may or may not come on after the install... but you can start it up and drive it just fine. I replaced mine a little bit ago and drove around for like a week with the light on. As far as the $145, I don't know. Because my nissan dealer in Ardmore, PA charged $90, which was their hourly service rate... so they shouldn't charge you any more than the hourly service rate around there. But also with that... nissan told me that the process takes an hour, which is why they charged that much. However, a few days after they did the reprogram, the check engine light came back on. I call nissan and they say to bring it back to them and pay another $90 to find out why the light is on because it takes an hour to diagnose the problem. I was thinking this is bullsh*t. So this time I took it to my mechanic around the corner and he hooked this handheld machine up under the steering wheel... and within one minute the machine said I had a bad o2 sensor. He turned the check engine light off thru the machine as well and didn't charge me a dime. The CEL hasn't come back on and it's been almost a month so I guess everything is fine, and nissan tried to screw me
Old 11-24-2006, 06:54 PM
2002 maxima se

Originally Posted by wyche89
You only need to update the ECU if u get a check engine light, which may or may not come on after the install... but you can start it up and drive it just fine. I replaced mine a little bit ago and drove around for like a week with the light on. As far as the $145, I don't know. Because my nissan dealer in Ardmore, PA charged $90, which was their hourly service rate... so they shouldn't charge you any more than the hourly service rate around there. But also with that... nissan told me that the process takes an hour, which is why they charged that much. However, a few days after they did the reprogram, the check engine light came back on. I call nissan and they say to bring it back to them and pay another $90 to find out why the light is on because it takes an hour to diagnose the problem. I was thinking this is bullsh*t. So this time I took it to my mechanic around the corner and he hooked this handheld machine up under the steering wheel... and within one minute the machine said I had a bad o2 sensor. He turned the check engine light off thru the machine as well and didn't charge me a dime. The CEL hasn't come back on and it's been almost a month so I guess everything is fine, and nissan tried to screw me
You could go to autozone to erase the code yourself and find out what the code says. by the way if you have had a code that said bad o2 sensor then there is a possibility that the SES light will come back on after few more months or weeks. you'll have to replace that 02 sensor in order to completely get rid of that problem. i had mine SES light on when i had a bad 01 sensor and i went to autozone used thier handheld OBD code reader under the steering wheel and erased the code myself but after few weeks the light came back on with the same code. then i replaced all 02 sensors instead of replacing the bad one because i knew if i replace one i would have to replace others in future so why not replace all of them while i was at it. anyway since then SES light never poped up, its been over a year. ok now back to the TOPIC. i dont think i will get the ECU reprogram because i just realised that dealers are there just to make money and rip us off so i wouldnt waste $145 for nothing. my SES light is currently on and it says bad MAF but once i replace the MAF i will reset the ECU by unplugging the NEGATIVE battery cable for overnight. and will go to AUTOZONE again to completely get rid of that SES light by erasing the code with OBD. I blew my MAF by cleaning it with a wrong cleaner so I hope the new MAF improves the performace.
Old 11-24-2006, 07:02 PM
2002 maxima se

Originally Posted by Lontar1
no need to do the ECU repro..... replace the whole thing not just the sensor... easier....... good luck
why replacing the whole TUBE when original one has no cracks or its not break? its easy but it takes few hours to remove and install all the air assembly. I've heard that the main thing is the wiring sensor thats all we need to replace unless/otherwise there is a damage in the maff housing. replacing the whole assembly or just the sensor would not make any diffrence. am i right?
Old 11-24-2006, 07:24 PM
I'm a Happy Man!

i understand what you are saying but why would you want to seperate the sensor from the tube. You can just unbolt about 8screws i believe it is and bolt the new one one and get it over with also you dont need to repro ecu unplugging the negative and that should do the trick.