5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Need help with Bose 2001....

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 12:49 PM

Need help with Bose 2001....

I've been searching these boards non-stop and I can't find a solution.... So I recently purchased two 12" Pioneer Subs, Pioneer amp, amp wiring kit etc. My box is complete and now its time to hook them up. I'm not replacing my Bose headunit nor am I replacing the speakers any of the other speakers, I'm just adding better subs to the existing Bose (for the moment).

Is there any way to hook the amp up so that the "system-on" wire is coming from/ to the Bose amp (in the trunk) rather then the headunit? I found somewhere it says it was the green and white wire is the system-on wire to the Bose amp... but I'm not sure. Anybody have a wiring diagram to the Bose amp?

Is it possible to take the input wires (unfortunately from what I read the bose headunit doesn't support RCA cables or else I'd use that) from the sub in the trunk or does it have to be from the rear speakers (the rear door ones?) Also my new Pioneer amp is MONO output... so is it possible to simply take the wire feed from the left rear speaker only? (considering theres no only one channel output)

Any help would be great, thanks.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:24 PM

You can tap into the signal which goes to the Bose sub and use that. To find the exact details on how to do this, look in the the audio subforums. There are wireing diagrams and everything posted in the stickies.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Works good most always.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:20 PM

I've been looking at the car audio forum for atleast a month now and no I can't find it...ANYWHERE! The only link I found was dead. I can only find wiring diagrams for 2002 (which prob isnt the same). Can I split the "system on" wire to the amp (bose) to new amp (pioneer) ? Or is there another approach to it.

Also does anyone know where I can drill a hole into the firewall ?? I know it's the passenger side but I need specifics. I'm afraid I'm gonna drill into something else.

thnx
Old 11-30-2006, 10:38 PM

Yes, green/white at the Bose amp will work for your remote turn on.

As far as the audio signal. Buy a cheap 6 inch set of male-male RCA cables. Splice them into the factory wiring behind the radio. This will do the same thing as a line output converter, because the Bose deck is already a low level signal. With a line output converter, youd be tapping into the wires after the Bose amp, which are already crossed over specifically for the Bose speakers. By splicing RCA's, youll be giving the amp a full range signal, and youll be able to use the amp's crossover to tune your subs how you want. Not to mention itll be cheaper. However if you do go the route of a line output converter...no, you cannot tap it into the speakers, whether you tap one speaker or both, because as I said theyre already crossed over from the Bose amp. With the converter youd have to tap your wiring into the outputs from the Bose sub amp, which is attached to the bottom of the Bose sub.

Why do you want to drill on the passenger side? The battery is on the driver side, and assuming you have an automatic, the easiest place to drill is going to be the clutch plate (where the clutch pedal would go through the firewall) on the drivers side as well.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:30 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Pacific Audio Company makes things you might be able to use, I bought all the stuff but never got around to putting it in
Old 12-04-2006, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by kpr10is
Why do you want to drill on the passenger side? The battery is on the driver side, and assuming you have an automatic, the easiest place to drill is going to be the clutch plate (where the clutch pedal would go through the firewall) on the drivers side as well.
I have a 5 speed manual. I figured the wires could potentionally get in the way of the pedals, so that's why I thought it should go on the passenger side. Or should I drill on the driver side?

Thanks for the wiring info. I'll try splicing RCAs, rather then buying the PAC converter thing. I didn't think I'd need that much range though considering the Bose "sub" should be playing something close to the frequency range that my subs would be playing at. But yeah I'd rather get the FULL range, and cut it with my Pioneer amp which would sound way better.