5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.
View Poll Results: Which brand is better when it comes to long lasting performance.
Piaa
39.58%
Luminics
3.13%
Silverstar (sylvania)
46.88%
Nokya
6.25%
Kyo
0%
Polarg
5.21%
Racing R
0%
Other.
6.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Which brand is better and will last long?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 05:13 PM
2002 maxima se

Originally Posted by Progress
It's funny how you failed to mention that best two OEM manufacturers: Philips and GE.

Go here for halogen replacements: http://www.autolamps-online.com/index.htm
never heard that philips and GE distribute automotive bulbs.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:28 AM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by OC guy
never heard that philips and GE distribute automotive bulbs.
Philips and Sylvania are the only OEM suppliers that I know of. GE are essentially copies of Philips.

The rest of the companies you mentioned either make **** or are overpriced (PIAA).
Old 12-01-2006, 09:59 AM
the org...not what it was

didnt piaa bulbs cracked your housing? i heard the high wattage of output can damage the housing. and make sure to use the right wattage of silverstar bulbs or else it will obviously burn the wiring harness.

nope, PIAA never damaged or cracked the house.
The bulb wattage was the standard, it could've been one of those rare freak things, but either way i'll never use the again.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:21 AM
Banned

im using a pair of Nokya Halogens right now for my headlights, and some Nokya's labeled 7000k for my Fogs.

but im getting the Bi-Xenons on monday from Maximsbest

the nokya DO LOOK AND ARE BRIHTER THAN THE STOCK HEADLIGHTS FOR THE MOST PART, but after a while they just start looking dull.

I CANT WAIT FOR MY HID'S i cant deal with that dull look anymore
Old 12-01-2006, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Trurida18
im using a pair of Nokya Halogens right now for my headlights, and some Nokya's labeled 7000k for my Fogs.

but im getting the Bi-Xenons on monday from Maximsbest

the nokya DO LOOK AND ARE BRIHTER THAN THE STOCK HEADLIGHTS FOR THE MOST PART, but after a while they just start looking dull.

I CANT WAIT FOR MY HID'S i cant deal with that dull look anymore
I just got some Nokya for my fogs. Are you saying that they actually dim significantly over time, or that you just perceived them that way in comparison to HID? Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say you're crazy or anything, and I know all halogens dim as the filiament wears out, but I'm just trying to understand exactly what you're saying.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:35 AM
2002 maxima se

go with H3 Nokya yellow JDM. they are the great bulbs for fogs and wont dim by time.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:45 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

People still think super plasma blue ricerwhite HID look bulbs are brighter than OEM halogens. . . some things never change. If you're not going to do an HID kit, keep it stock.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:33 PM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by Wisky97SE
People still think super plasma blue ricerwhite HID look bulbs are brighter than OEM halogens. . . some things never change. If you're not going to do an HID kit, keep it stock.
You can get an equal wattage bulb, OEM quality/reputation/lifetime, non-tinted, more light upgrade. Why not.

I recommend Philips VisionPlus or GE Megalight Plus. Both non-tinted and better than OEM bulbs.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:14 PM

i have silverstars and they are a brighter excuse me whiter light than factory what is the rating on the silverstar, 4000k? the higher number like 8000 is more of a blue color right like hid lights on 03 and up maximas i have seen a conversion kit to hid for 100 bucks is that garbage or what
Old 12-01-2006, 07:27 PM

yeah I've heard several people praise the vision plus, and those ge's sound good also, but I don't have any experience with either. ummmm, and yeah, to the three "I think you touched the bulb" people, I think I know that I didn't, in fact I've never touched a new halogen bulb so I don't know for sure but I thought if they get oil from your fingers on them that the glass cracks or explodes.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:48 PM
Mauja He Mauja

PIAA sucks
Old 12-01-2006, 08:22 PM
Cletus

i posted before that i have silverstar in the head and fog lights of my 00...just remembered that i also have them in the fogs of my 02. they are nice and white and closest i could find to matching the HIDs. ive had them for over a year with no issues.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:27 PM
2002 maxima se

by the way do silverstar makes tinted bulbs or they just assemble clear ones?
Old 12-02-2006, 11:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by oldmanshirt
I just got some Nokya for my fogs. Are you saying that they actually dim significantly over time, or that you just perceived them that way in comparison to HID? Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say you're crazy or anything, and I know all halogens dim as the filiament wears out, but I'm just trying to understand exactly what you're saying.

no offense taken. i would say that they JUST LOOK TO BE DIMMER IN MY OPINION as ive had them for a while and am just sick of looking at them. I find myself looking at every car that has HID's and saying "wow" THATS BRIGHT, lol. If you get my analogy, but when i stand directly in front of them, they are still just as bright as when i put them in.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Trurida18
no offense taken. i would say that they JUST LOOK TO BE DIMMER IN MY OPINION as ive had them for a while and am just sick of looking at them. I find myself looking at every car that has HID's and saying "wow" THATS BRIGHT, lol. If you get my analogy, but when i stand directly in front of them, they are still just as bright as when i put them in.
i put my Nokya H3s in last night, and they were a bit dimmer than I expected, especially from inside the car. And yeah, HIDs are bright, but I dunno if it would be worth upgrading a 2k or 2k1. When I had my 2k1, I was never dissatisfied with the headlight performance, especially after I put silverstars in (not to sound like an advertisement or anything).
Old 12-03-2006, 07:19 PM
2002 maxima se

i put my Nokya H3s in last night, and they were a bit dimmer than I expected, especially from inside the car. And yeah, HIDs are bright, but I dunno if it would be worth upgrading a 2k or 2k1. When I had my 2k1, I was never dissatisfied with the headlight performance, especially after I put silverstars in (not to sound like an advertisement or anything).
sorry to interrupt. may i know what color nokya H3 you bought for fogs. yellow? i heard luminics JDM H3 bulbs are good for fogs too. currently i got silverstars for my fogs but planning to replace them with either nokya or luminics.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:47 PM

sorry to interrupt. may i know what color nokya H3 you bought for fogs. yellow? i heard luminics JDM H3 bulbs are good for fogs too. currently i got silverstars for my fogs but planning to replace them with either nokya or luminics.

I got H3 yellows. Its easier to see the difference if you look at the reflections on the ground. They're yellower than stock, but not really brighter. For $15 it provides a pretty distinctive look, especially with HIDs

Here's one with the stock fogs. They do look a little brighter if you compare this pic to the first one, but they're really pretty close to the yellows brightness-wise.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:39 PM
2002 maxima se

I got H3 yellows. Its easier to see the difference if you look at the reflections on the ground. They're yellower than stock, but not really brighter. For $15 it provides a pretty distinctive look, especially with HIDs

Here's one with the stock fogs. They do look a little brighter if you compare this pic to the first one, but they're really pretty close to the yellows brightness-wise.
i can see the stock bulbs are little brighter than those yellow you got there. by the way do you just got the yellow bulbs or you also got yellow lens on fog housing? the yellow fog housing looks better at day time compating to stock clear fog housing with yellow H3.. i am planning to buy a yellow fog housing but cant find direct OEM replacement do you think ebay might have those?
Old 12-04-2006, 12:03 AM

I just have the yellow bulbs. I wouldn't want the yellow housings unless I had HIDs in the fogs, which would be awesome but I can't justify the cost. There's too many other mods I'd like to spend my $500 on. Like I said, the stocks aren't necessarily brighter than the yellows, but since the yellows are 2500k they might put out a little less usable light. They're supposed to be the best for low visibilty conditions though, and I just like the way they look. To answer your question, I got these bulbs on ebay, but I didn't do a search for yellow housings, so I don't know what's on there. There seem to be several members on here with the yellow housings, so I'd just ask one of them.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:18 PM

I've had my PIAA 40's on my Cherokee for 4 years now, same bulbs. That's pretty long in my book.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:46 PM

Does anyone like the Lexus look headlights on the maxima? The purple healights with the yellow fogs.
I was thinking about doing that, but I like my piaa and silverstars for now.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:42 PM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by Nissanaholic
Does anyone like the Lexus look headlights on the maxima? The purple healights with the yellow fogs.
I was thinking about doing that, but I like my piaa and silverstars for now.
Like this?

And more:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=449650
Old 12-07-2006, 10:08 AM

Yea, that's pretty much it! Where did you get the fogs?
Old 01-05-2007, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by n3985
Prove me wrong then , given that human eyes are more sensitive to white light, I highly doubt a color coated bulb will be brighter than a clear one.
http://www.ndt-ed.org/EducationResou...htresponse.htm

To me, it would look like the human eye is more sensitive to blue light under low light conditions - when headlights are in use.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:42 PM

i just ordered some silverstar headlights bulbs after my ricer no name "blue" bulbs burned out...i'll see how they compare. and btw, you can get a really good deal on them from ebay. if not, try autobarn.com, they're $5 off each bulb right now.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:15 PM

Piaa suck cause that don't last long at all. Silverstars get my vote. Put them in my wifes truck and still good after 1.5 years. My piaa blew in my fog lights within six months.......
Old 02-15-2007, 09:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

well, my 93 626 has one of the worst headlight designs ever, I put silverstars in the low beams and it made a noticeable difference. I don't mean standing in front of my headlights saying "wow, those are bright" difference, I mean driving on dark country backroads and actually being able to see something difference. So I threw silverstars in the fogs and high beams as well. In over 3 years I've yet to have one burn out. Ironically, my old 87 pickup with wagner sealed beams and canadian tire fog lights threw out twice as much light. That said, I'm pretty excited to be moving into the world of HID soon, even though they're brutally annoying to other drivers...