5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

OEM Air FIlter Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 08:08 AM

OEM Air FIlter Replacement

Old topic, but search proved worthless......

Looking for opinions on the BEST PAPER OEM drop-in air filter, how much , and where you bought it.

I'm not interested in Gauze/Cotton/Oil types like K&N or Cone Shaped intakes. Just a good quality Pleated-paper drop-in for my '02 3.5

I've been using a Proline Purolator from Pep BOys (manf. in Korea) for the past few years, that have worked quite well, and seemed to be well-constructed. However, I'm now living where there is no pep-boys, so my supply is gone.

On a sidenote:
My current filter was last replaced approx. 1.5 years ago (no typo) and 16k miles. The amazing thing is, it looks almost NEW! I've thoroughly blown-it out with an air hose recently, and it still looks perfect.
Question is: should I replace it anyway??? Or should it just soldier-on??
It looks SO GOOD, I'm inclined to leave it for another few months/miles.

input welcome.
gr
Old 12-04-2006, 09:11 AM

Best advice from a happy user...

Buy a paper filter from Aimsoil. They flow better than other paper products and filter more efficiently! Read it on their website for more info. Not hype!

We have a dealer on line that can fix you up quickly and at a respectable price.

Talk to Talkinghorse. Link to his post in classifieds is:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=480065

He is a sponsor on this forum.

I get nothing for the referral except the knowledge that I have helped someone else out with the same info that was passed onto my by another poster. In fact, the horns I installed this weekend came from an idea suggested by a poster.

thanks

Vic
Old 12-04-2006, 04:15 PM

bump-bump for the PM crowd....!

ANyone? OEM Air Filter ideas??

Don't say stock, either!

gr
Old 12-04-2006, 04:49 PM
dot dot dot ...

Fram, Amsoil.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:35 AM
♠♠♠♠♠

last time around I used a Fram. Some people have had bad experiences with them? I found it to be a great fit. Had a rubber seal all the way around and was a snug fit. much better than OEM.

The upside of using Fram is they're easy to find, and pretty cheap.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:26 PM

I'm just wondering, but why are you not interested in a K&N type air filter? Are there any benefits to a paper air filter over a K&N filter? Thanks
Old 12-05-2006, 07:09 PM
♠♠♠♠♠

I seem to recall someone doing a test with the K&Ns showing that their stock airbox filters don't do much in the way of performance gains. They're really expensive and I personally find the oiling a pain, so why bother.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:40 AM

The major reason why I stopped using K&N's is the potential of a problem with the oil compromising the drive-by-wire sensors in the MAF or other areas.

Seems that the mechanical, throttle cable-controlled systems are not as sensitive to contaminants such as the oil from a filter.

Rather than debate it...I choose only to use paper on the 2K3. Your opinion may vary and I am sure some will disagree. But...why risk it??

K&N's are great for other applications (such as our former Ford Expedition) or Chrysler products.

thanks.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:21 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by CVicVogel
The major reason why I stopped using K&N's is the potential of a problem with the oil compromising the drive-by-wire sensors in the MAF or other areas.
DBW will not be comprimised using a K&N, no matter how much oil you use.

Originally Posted by CVicVogel
Seems that the mechanical, throttle cable-controlled systems are not as sensitive to contaminants such as the oil from a filter
It's the MAF sensor that get's : from the oil. I see your logic, but this is not the case

Seems as if you have the TB cleaning and sensitive MAF sensor problems mixed up.

For clarification, the MAF typically dies in 5thgens because it's more sensitive (different part # and construction than the A32 MAF).

And for 5.5gens, for some people, the idle gets problematic when cleaing the TB (throttle body).
Old 12-06-2006, 06:47 AM

NmexMax:

thanks for the update. The MAF is of concern to me because of its sensitivity. Now...I will not be cleaning the throttle body myself but rather, have the stealer do it.

thanks
Old 12-06-2006, 09:00 AM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

Originally Posted by MacGarnicle
last time around I used a Fram. Some people have had bad experiences with them?
The regular Fram OIL filters are terrible. Shoddy construction, shoddy performance. The Fram Tough Guard AIR filters are okay (as are the Fram X2 oil filters).
Old 12-06-2006, 09:10 AM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

Originally Posted by aamir
I'm just wondering, but why are you not interested in a K&N type air filter? Are there any benefits to a paper air filter over a K&N filter? Thanks
K&N filters often have the best filtration-to-flow ratio, and they're made very well. That makes them desirable for racing cars and some high-performance cars -- i.e. cases in which you assume that you'll be rebuilding the engine relatively frequently, and you need as much flow as possible.

For Maximas, the tiny increase in flow of a K&N filter over a stock filter is meaningless on a stock or mostly stock engine. You've got to figure that if an entire aftermarket intake does so little, a tiny tweak in the airbox isn't going to be much help either. So, since most Maxima owners are not going to be rebuilding their engines every few dozen thousand miles, there's no reason to deal with the worse-than-OEM filtration, which can seriously harm your engine over time. Plus, re-oiling a K&N filter is kind of a PITA -- too little oil compromises filtration, and too much can cause some of it to be sucked in and coat your MAF sensor, possibly damaging it in the process.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:33 PM

I had a look at a WIX air filter today. In comparison to the Purolater Proline I have now, the Wix LITERALLY had 3x the density of paper filtration media -- I compared the two side-by-side. The Seal was very thick semi-soft rubber that seemed quite adequate for sealing.
The PURO is a more hearty construction, with metal reinforcement around the perimeter of the filter media for support that the WIx didn't have. The rubber seal seems to be more precisely manuf., and the Filter itself fits VERY neatly into the stock airbox housing.

I guess there's good and bad to both: I'm thinking the Wix would hands-down FILTER-out more particulate matter - but the Puro would likely hold-up longer and FLOW more Air.

My PURO has 15k miles on it, and it looks PRISTENE so I decided to keep it, and get the Wix next time. LEads me to wonder if the PURO is Actually Filtering ANYTHING?? This could be an interesting test to compare against each other for 5k miles or so.

The Wix paper media is WHITE and the PURO is red - so I'm thinking that might have something to do with the fact that I can't really see any major build-up of trapped particulate. Hmmmm.....

They both cost around $10.
gr
Old 12-09-2006, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
And for 5.5gens, for some people, the idle gets problematic when cleaing the TB (throttle body).
sorry to threadjack but i have this problem. been cleaned at the dealer once and then replaced yet i still have the problem. i am under full warranty. advice on what to do? If you get a chance, please PM me. Thank you.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:49 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Purlator pure one air filter is all i use
Old 12-11-2006, 07:42 AM

I just went to Autzone and grabbed an STP off the shelf, no problems.