5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

booo injen warm air intake

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 10:06 PM

booo injen warm air intake

so I had my injen warm air intake on my car since august 25 or so. I put my JWT pop charger air filter on it with the MAF adapter to attach it. anyways I noticed at times the entire lower pipe would come loose. and that measily one little bolt which goes to the engine block doesn't do **** to hold the pipe and filter in place. anyways I was driving home the other day on christmas eve and had to downshift and brake hard because some person slammed on there brakes and I hear bang bang bang. what the ****? my entire air filter and downpipe came off and got run over by my own car and the car behind me. great... I am more upset about the air filter. I got that filter for 25 dollars when it really costs 120. now this gives me an excuse though to make a real cold air intake. I am buying a battery relocation kit and then I am going to get some aluminum mandrel bent piping and go to town with that. then I will buy another JWT pop charger filter and put it on. this time around I am going to get the piping beaded. why couldn't injen bead the lower piping? cheap bastards. stock intake is back on for now. next mod after this whole thing is going to be ES engine mount inserts. I don't like the stock mounts.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:32 PM
$$ Ballin on a Budget $$

The elbow wasn't secured by the couplings as well? I left the bolt out of my Injen intake, when I had it, and had no problems what so ever. Not to mention where is your splash shields on the bottom of your car?

I suppose this does give you an excuse to do a different set up now. Good luck hopefully you won't lose it again.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Orgullo
The elbow wasn't secured by the couplings as well? I left the bolt out of my Injen intake, when I had it, and had no problems what so ever. Not to mention where is your splash shields on the bottom of your car?

I suppose this does give you an excuse to do a different set up now. Good luck hopefully you won't lose it again.
splash shields are all there. I think it was the fact that the JWT pop charger filter weighs like 8 lbs. compared to the injen filter they give which looks like an ice cream cone and weighs maybe 2 lbs. I am defenitely making a custom cold air intake. I already found a great site with polished aluminum mandrel bends for intakes and intercooler set ups. I should only need 2-3 pieces at most. I already got a hole saw and a friend to do the welding.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:09 PM
IllegalMax

why didnt u just get a injen cold air? why bother making a ghetto intake? my buddy made his own and it doesnt work and looks bad.

Old 12-27-2006, 05:38 PM
$$ Ballin on a Budget $$

Originally Posted by IllegalMax
why didnt u just get a injen cold air? why bother making a ghetto intake? my buddy made his own and it doesnt work and looks bad.
He did have a Injen CAI however, Injen doesn't make a true CAI so he just called it a WAI ( Warm Air Intake ).

None the less a lot of people make their own intakes, like me! However, if you don't have the skillz then you just don't have the skillz.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:45 PM
IllegalMax

injen doesnt make a true cai?

Old 12-27-2006, 05:53 PM
$$ Ballin on a Budget $$

Nope... get yo search on...
Old 12-27-2006, 06:13 PM

Im actually in the process of making a true CAI. I have the stock midpiece on and MAF adapter and filter, I bought a 45 90 and straight aluminum pipe and ill just cut, fit and weld them to go into the fender where the place racing one would, I moved my battery a while back too and this allows for some space to work with, you still have to go close to the fender though like place racing because theres a join weld in that area where the frame actually is, and you gotta put the pipe to the inside of that, near the fuse box. If you go under your car in that area, theres only like two bolts that hold the splash shield in place and open that up and you can see that whole inner fender area where the filter should go
Old 12-27-2006, 06:20 PM
Need A Light?

injen doesnt make a true cai?
its like a hot air intake...
Old 12-27-2006, 06:22 PM
$$ Ballin on a Budget $$

There are a couple of guys on here that didn't relocate the battery. They just pushed it to the side and ran the piping in the fender. I think Irish did his that way.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:03 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by Orgullo
There are a couple of guys on here that didn't relocate the battery. They just pushed it to the side and ran the piping in the fender. I think Irish did his that way.
that's the way Place racing instructs....it's a tight squeeze, but the pipe WILL fit down there, amazingly. I did, however, have to slightly relocate the fuse box on the side there, and it sits kind of cockneyed now.

Old 12-27-2006, 10:20 PM

reading is fundamental. There are no more cold air intakes made for maximas. what is ghetto about polished aluminum mandrel bent piping? the same thing any intake or intercooler piping is made of.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:22 PM

well you see I still have the injen midpipe attached and it goes to a different angle. Thus why I want to relocate the battery and have a hell of a lot more room. besides that it will take about 30 lbs off the front end. and I am also buying a new battery too because one is needed soon. irish if you could possibly take a picture of the hole of where the piping goes into the fender that would be appreciated.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:37 AM

I didnt relocate the battery for fun though, I had planned on putting a turbo in and decided not to waste money on this car. I dont think moving the battery in a FWD car will do anything, just a fun project. RWD it adds +1 handling pt, or so ive heard. I wasn't able to find the CAI piece that goes through the fender already made though thats why I ended making one custom.