5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Bad Bearing,Hub, Or Knuckle

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 11:58 AM

Bad Bearing,Hub, Or Knuckle

Ok guys. I was getting that grinding noise and thump when I drive that everybody has been talking about. Mine is on the right front side. So this weekend I pulled my knuckle pressed out the old bearing which actually fell apart. I pressed in a new bearing from napa, pressed in the hub and I have lots of play on the hub still. It moves up and down and side to side. Is this suppose to be super snug with no play? I installed it in the car that way and still have the same problem grinding. I believe that the bearing spun in the knuckle possibly damaging it. Any Ideas? This is frustrating. By the way I have brand new tokico blues all around on a 2 inch drop.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:41 PM

If the outer race was a tight fit in the knuckle and the hub was tight fit in the inner race and the axleshaft nut is torqued to spec. and you've still got slop, the only thing that I can think of is that either the shoulder of the hub that contacts the inner race and/or the shoulder of the cv joint shaft has worn due to the "spinning" of your failed bearing. This is preventing the "pinch up".
Old 01-01-2007, 08:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If you didn't replace the bearing in time, which sounds like the case here, the blown bearing will damage your hub. It doesn't take long for this to happen.

I had my car in the shop within 1 week of hearing the bearing and that was enough for the hub to be damaged.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:38 AM

Same problem happend to me a year ago, I had to replace both bearing and wheel hubs. I think I may have the same problem again, my car is stored for the winter but I'll soon find out. All the suspension mods along with the D2 coilover and low profile tire on the maxima contribute to this accelerated wear on bearing and wheel hubs, once the bearing fell a part then the inner parts of the wheel hub get damage and get a lots of heat.

You can buy some refurbish one, there cheaper but they dont seem to last very long. When it happend to me last year I was very busy at work and with the baby and all I decided to have my dealer to fix it. It end up costing me 1200$ Cdn to have the bearing and wheel hub replaced, the wheel hubs where refurbish at 200$ a piece compare to brand new at 550$.

You can find wheel hub for less than 110$ and bearing at less than 35$ at www.rockauto.com

I believe you can buy the wheel hub with the bearing pressed in so will save you some pain.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:37 AM

also check the ball joint **** mine pop out a couple of days ago dont ask me how but everytime i made a turn grindin started
Old 01-01-2007, 02:04 PM
The original VQ...

I just changed the passanger wheel bearing, after i pressed the new one in it still had alittle play in the spindle when i held it and i was worried.

I put everything together and everything is perfect, no play once i got the wheel on.

It is ok if it has a bit a play when the spindle is in your hand, if you put the wheel on and it has play then you have a problem.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:31 PM

Well I am going to take it back apart or so in a few days to see what I can figure out. My wife's b-day is this weekend so I don't have that much free time this week. I am seriously thinking that once you press in the bearing and the hub there should not be any play. I used to have an altima back in the day and had a bad bearing and I pressed it in and there was no wiggle with the hub in my hand. This is mind boggling but I like a challenge. Hopefully the hub is bad and I can get another and solve the mystery.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:01 PM
The original VQ...

Originally Posted by Max_Shizo
I am seriously thinking that once you press in the bearing and the hub there should not be any play.
I noticed after reading again you have a 2" drop, our axels dont like that over time, did u check if the noise can be coming from there?