5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

remote start question

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 07:07 AM

remote start question

I just had a remote start along with the immobilizer bypass installed in my 2003 max. Well after we got everything wire and the car starting with the remote i noticed that when using the remote start the fan motor is not coming on. Which basically defeats the purpose for the thing. Anyone run into this problem or have a fix for me.

Thanks
Old 01-05-2007, 08:21 AM
No More Maxipad

what fan motor? if your car's not hot then the fan won't come on...i thought the fan was to turn on if the engine is too hot and to cool it off. so if in the morning when you're warming up the car with the remote start the fan won't come on since the engine is not hot yet. that's what i'm guessing.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:10 AM

I'm sorry,,,,,,,,, i meant the fan motor that blows out hot and cold air out of the vents. When the car is started with the remote and the climate control previously set to heat up the inside of the car i get no air circulating. Everything is lit up and set on high. Must be a wire.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:45 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Has anyone solved this thing?

I am not sure if the OP explained correctly, but what happens is: when remotely starting the car, and WITH the climate control on "AUTO", the fan won't run till you get inside the car and place the key in the ignition. It has nothing to do with the motor not being warmed up enough, I tested every possible way.

Is that an accessory wire that was connected wrongly or just the way the maximas climate control behaves with the remote starts?

TIA !
Old 01-18-2008, 07:24 AM
(insert witty one liner)

I have a remote car starter and I just leave the car set to ECON.
No problems with the car not heating up or the fans not turning on.
I have never tried on AUTO, so I can't speak to that.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:21 AM

hmm... weird that you never tried it in the auto mode... maybe u dont have a harsh winter? I ask that, because i had the impression the ECON was an energy-saver mode for the summer time... and it is useless in the winter.

Anyhow, I can't tell i tried the ECON mode, but I doubt it will make a difference because in the AUTO mode, the lighting in the temperature controls all lit regularly, even the fan speed is shown, but there is no fan running... till I insert the key in the ignition... really weird...
Old 01-18-2008, 08:48 AM
Play with my balls

I think that's just how it acts. Mine did the same thing. Must be a relay switch tied in the the ignition somewhere and has to physically be turned to a specific position.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:51 AM

i have no problem with mine. We get bad winters and freezing below zero temps. I leave the HVAc on 90 degress with 3 fans blades of speed and have it set to defrost and the floor. the minute i hit the remote start car turns on and thre fan gets going. By the time i get in to go the car is toasty warm and the windows are free from ice. Ive used it in the summer with AC and works perfect then too.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:58 AM
(insert witty one liner)

Originally Posted by Bborges
hmm... weird that you never tried it in the auto mode... maybe u dont have a harsh winter? I ask that, because i had the impression the ECON was an energy-saver mode for the summer time... and it is useless in the winter.
Not quite. The ECON mode doesn't use the AC compressor, but does still use the heater.
So, IMO it's better in the winter as you don't need the compressor running to heat your car.

I live in Canada and see -20 deg C temps on a very regular basis and as cold as -35 once or twice a year.
I have always used ECON to heat my car and have never had a problem.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:06 AM
Play with my balls

Originally Posted by jeff5347
i have no problem with mine. We get bad winters and freezing below zero temps. I leave the HVAc on 90 degress with 3 fans blades of speed and have it set to defrost and the floor. the minute i hit the remote start car turns on and thre fan gets going. By the time i get in to go the car is toasty warm and the windows are free from ice. Ive used it in the summer with AC and works perfect then too.
I'm assuming you have it set on Manual, correct? I think the relation was in reference to leaving it in the "AUTO" position. I would figure any HVAC setting would have the same outcome though (to work) if the circuitry is tied to perform the same. Stupid Nissan....
Old 01-18-2008, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Iceman420
Not quite. The ECON mode doesn't use the AC compressor, but does still use the heater.
So, IMO it's better in the winter as you don't need the compressor running to heat your car.

I live in Canada and see -20 deg C temps on a very regular basis and as cold as -35 once or twice a year.
I have always used ECON to heat my car and have never had a problem.
+1. The manual says something about don't turn Econ to a temp lower than the outside temp, or something to that effect. Mainly to be used in cold temp so that you don't have to turn on compressor like iceman 420 said.
Also if you have it set to heat it usually takes a while b/c the engine does need to warm up b4 it will kick out any heat. I did it last night. 19 degrees took almost 5 mins b4 2 fan blades showed up.

Last edited by ICEMAN76; 01-18-2008 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:26 AM

ahhh my bad... no i never tried it in Econ or Auto. I should try that to see if it works...
Old 01-18-2008, 10:35 AM

go back and recheck your wiring, you forgot to power the second accessory wire. I installed a remote strarter myself on my car and did just that, notices fan was not working, went back that night and added a jumper from accessory one to accessory two and now everything works perfect.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Heater

I have 2 2k2's and both of them act the same way when set to auto. Fan does not come on until the engine has sufficiently warmed up to put out warm air. Thought both cars had bad auto electronics but seems to me that Nissan did the right thing.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by loeborg
I have 2 2k2's and both of them act the same way when set to auto. Fan does not come on until the engine has sufficiently warmed up to put out warm air. Thought both cars had bad auto electronics but seems to me that Nissan did the right thing.
if you're talking about the auto fan settings, then yes, the car has to warm up at least a bit for the fan to kick into 1st setting, and as it progresses to warm up, it increases the fan settings. But I thing the OP was talking about his fan not turning on period when the car was running in remote start mode, in that case, refer to my earlier post.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:40 PM
Sports Button FTW

which alarm is this?

I have a clifford pager remote installed by Pearl96max and have never had issues with it. I get heat and everything. I believe it works on auto too, never seen a situation that it didnt blow air....

when cold my air automatically comes on so i'm not sure what some of u may be referring to. I haven an 01 though....
Old 01-18-2008, 08:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

A remote starter would be pretty nice in my maxima considering Maine weather ...how much does it cost roughly to get it installed? is it easy to install yourself?
Old 01-19-2008, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by loeborg
Thats how mine works I just figured its like the above comment. There is no use for your car to blow out cold air. When the engine reaches a certain temp then it will blow out the hot air. I like this feature.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:26 PM

hmmmmm...
Old 01-21-2008, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by nsnrider
go back and recheck your wiring, you forgot to power the second accessory wire. I installed a remote strarter myself on my car and did just that, notices fan was not working, went back that night and added a jumper from accessory one to accessory two and now everything works perfect.

I brought the issue to the installer (another org member) and he said it must be the accessory wire, like you pointed out. Now, I dunno about the jumpers, i'll forward your post to him.

thanks!
Old 01-21-2008, 09:47 AM

some cars have one accessory wire, other more, our maximas have two, he might have forgoten to hook it up or might be a bad/loose connection. good luck.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Modules Needed?

So I'm finding conflicting reports in my searching over the last few days. I'm looking at the Crimestopper RS4-G3r remote start system. I like it because it's small, inexpensive and simple. I just need remote start nothing fancy.
So I cannot find a definitive answer of do I need an imobilizer bypass or not? Some of the wiring diagrams don't show one some do, some people list them with their purchases some don't. Would like to install this before it gets cold.

Thanks everyone!!
Old 12-06-2012, 02:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SkyGeek
So I'm finding conflicting reports in my searching over the last few days. I'm looking at the Crimestopper RS4-G3r remote start system. I like it because it's small, inexpensive and simple. I just need remote start nothing fancy.
So I cannot find a definitive answer of do I need an imobilizer bypass or not? Some of the wiring diagrams don't show one some do, some people list them with their purchases some don't. Would like to install this before it gets cold.

Thanks everyone!!
Yes get the idatalink for nis/infin

Sent from AznRyan's Cat Farm
Old 02-04-2013, 04:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sorry for the bump and everything, but I was poking around the owner manual for my 2001 I30 and it said that the Auto climate control doesn't start immediately to reduce drag on the alternator. It sits with the fan off for a minute or so, then SLOWLY starts to blow air out. I only notice the delay with a cold engine though. If I start the car on a hot-ish day, the AC works almost immediately.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:11 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally Posted by alcaponed
Sorry for the bump and everything, but I was poking around the owner manual for my 2001 I30 and it said that the Auto climate control doesn't start immediately to reduce drag on the alternator. It sits with the fan off for a minute or so, then SLOWLY starts to blow air out. I only notice the delay with a cold engine though. If I start the car on a hot-ish day, the AC works almost immediately.
Normal. The climate control understand you don't want to blow colder air from the outside into the cabin which is warmer if you are trying to warm up the cabin. It is a smart car...I'm sure you find, one the car is warm the fan starts immediately, right?
Old 02-04-2013, 06:31 PM

yup the climate control is auto. On my 5th gen even if I start with the key in the ignition (or remote start) if the motor is cold it won't blow anything until the coolant reaches a certain temp.

I have mine on ECON or manual with windshield defrost and foot mode.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

lol my point was that the car isn't really that smart. It's just trying to save the alternator by waiting to turn the heater on until it eventually warms up. Even when the fans first start going, the air isn't always warm (if the outside temperature is really low).
Old 02-08-2013, 02:30 PM
Banned

You can use the timed trigger output on a viper alarm to set it to turn on the heater 5 minutes after starting i have a complete set of wiring diagrams for maximas if needed and btw our cars have 3 acc lines and they all need bypass modules either xk 05 or idatalink
Old 02-09-2013, 07:28 PM

Hey fellaz, how hard is it to install? I did one on my bike and familiar with wiring but never installed a car alarm. Cjandura how much you looking for wiring diagrams? I am very interested.

Thanks
Old 11-16-2014, 08:13 PM

is it possible to have a remote start with 1 key fob and not compromise the security/Immobilizer?
Old 11-17-2014, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by cdoublejj
is it possible to have a remote start with 1 key fob and not compromise the security/Immobilizer?
Yes 1 fob and a bypass module like that guy cjandura talks about
Old 11-18-2014, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by The_Fixer
Yes 1 fob and a bypass module like that guy cjandura talks about
and the by pass module doesn't make it any easier to seal the car or hack the security system with those new radio signal scanners they have these days? how expensive is such a kit?