5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2002 Maxima on July 9th Autoweek Cover

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2001, 03:30 PM

I just got my new Autoweek... with the 2002 Maxima on the cover. They have a 6 page article on it with a lot of new pictures. Man this car is awesome. The gears are all new, no carry-over 5 speed with an added overdrive. They even like the automatic. "The automatic shifts more quickly than we would have expected for a midsize...". The springs are the same, but it comes with revalved shocks.
Here's a good quote:

"On the road the engine is superb. It's a leap over the competition, comparable to the the Volkswagen VR6 engine when that was new. In both cases you think your're driving a turbocharged engine without any turbo lag. The power is not only broad, coming on seemingly from just above idle and staying all the way to redline, but it's oh-so-smooth."

The end the article, "...we think they've got a good seller on their hands. No matter how they market it."
Old 07-05-2001, 04:04 PM

now..if only my mailman would stop reading the magazines himself and delivering them late...well actually im not sure if hes reading them but i never get my autoweeks on time. they always come late and i usually get 2-3 all at once...
Old 07-05-2001, 04:07 PM
PhatGuy

Stupid question is Autoweek on the store shelves? I'm assuming it is a "weekly" magazine?

Originally posted by Paul2kGXE
I just got my new Autoweek... with the 2002 Maxima on the cover. They have a 6 page article on it with a lot of new pictures. Man this car is awesome. The gears are all new, no carry-over 5 speed with an added overdrive. They even like the automatic. "The automatic shifts more quickly than we would have expected for a midsize...". The springs are the same, but it comes with revalved shocks.
Here's a good quote:

"On the road the engine is superb. It's a leap over the competition, comparable to the the Volkswagen VR6 engine when that was new. In both cases you think your're driving a turbocharged engine without any turbo lag. The power is not only broad, coming on seemingly from just above idle and staying all the way to redline, but it's oh-so-smooth."

The end the article, "...we think they've got a good seller on their hands. No matter how they market it."

Old 07-05-2001, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by PhatGuy
Stupid question is Autoweek on the store shelves? I'm assuming it is a "weekly" magazine?

i havent really seen them in a lot of bookstores...some barnes & nobles have them...and some newspaper stands..
Old 07-05-2001, 11:31 PM

Magazine wars...

Originally posted by PhatGuy
Let's start some magazine wars.

Autoweek and Car and Driver. They're the only two car mags to subscribe to.

(Even got a picture published in C&D. Jan. 2000, bottom of page 72... Don't even wear the 10-Best sweatshirt. I might even frame it. Cashed the check though. )

(Yeah, you should be able to get an autoweek at any good magazine stand. You can also go to:

http://www.autoweek.com

but they probably won't have the new issue online until Monday...)
Old 07-06-2001, 11:04 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Magazine wars...

I've got R&T for 8 years and I love that mag. They still haven't mentioned the 2002 Max though...
Old 07-06-2001, 09:48 PM

My take on the article...

Originally posted by Paul2kGXE
Well, Paul2kGXE posted the positive stuff, I'll add some comments. (This is not to say you shouldn't go out and buy this fine Crane Communications Inc. product. No, I'm not affiliated in any way... )

Nissan has pretty much admitted that they're moving the Max upscale and the Altima will do battle against Camry and Accord. Targets for the Max? Avalon and the TL. Oh please. Nissan projects Maxima sales to go from 130,000 to 80,000 and year, and hope Altima sales rise from 140,000 to 190,000.

The new six-speed is a cable shifter! (Due to "Packaging reasons...) At least they changed all the gear ratios. With the improvement in the 4-speed ATX, I take this as the first move to eliminate the manual... The manual will also not be available until October, two months after initial launch. They will also have a helical LSD, but that won't be available until November, and only on MTX cars.

Nissan also claims only 2% cross shop to infinity. When I bought my Max, I looked at an I-30 (much better warranties) but Nissan dealerships were more convienient than Infinity dealerships. Anyone else cross-shop Max and I-30?

No IRS. Maxima will still have that stinkin' rear beam suspension. The new Altima get's an IRS. WTF? Quote the suspension engineer Yo****aka Iijima: "That vehicle is very precise and stable. We would like to provide the customer a very secure and confident feeling, precision is secondary. The multilink beam is a very good balance of performance and cost. The camber stays the same and allows us to give the customer a very stable suspension."

It sounds like Nissan is learning from GM and Ford.

Also noted was the lack of *any* price discussion.

Nice pics, though.

I think my 2K1 SEAE is looking better all the time.
Old 07-06-2001, 10:03 PM

Re: My take on the article...

Originally posted by KaxMaxSEAE

Quote the suspension engineer Yo****aka Iijima
BWAHAhahahahahahaha...

Okay, maybe one of these'll pass maxima.org's auto-censor:

Yo'crap'aka
Yosh1taka
Yo'bowel movement'aka

This is silly.
Old 07-08-2001, 03:11 AM

is it really 2%? my parents also cross shopped the I30...im sure there are more than 2% out there that did too...