5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

!!wind Noise!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 09:31 PM
dmpesso

!!wind Noise!!

I got a 2002 max gle and everytime i go above about 65 mph u hear this crazy *** wind noise in the back windows mostly, does anyone kno a way to get that fixed or wat i need to do any feedback wud be GREATLY appreciated.

Old 02-18-2007, 09:45 PM

i get it too, i can't figure out what it's from. all the seals look fine, nothing's cracked and everything looks like it fits fine. ???
Old 02-18-2007, 09:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have it too. Mostly from the front windows and it first becomes noticible at about 45mph. I tried the housecor fix, but it didnt help.

http://www.innerbean.com/housecor/wi...ind_noise.html

I had pretty much given up and accepted it....maybe someone has something new to try (?).
Old 02-19-2007, 03:51 AM
Cletus

http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/tsb/NTB01-029.pdf
Old 02-19-2007, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by CRBWS6
I have it too. Mostly from the front windows and it first becomes noticible at about 45mph. I tried the housecor fix, but it didnt help.

I had pretty much given up and accepted it....maybe someone has something new to try (?).
Sorry to hear it didn't do the trick. It worked for me and I've gotten emails from dozens of people saying it solved their wind noise issue. Perhaps there's more than one potential cause.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:04 AM

The use of masking tape to seal the window tops is a good idea for testing....I will try this.

Thanks for the concern housecor. I have a feeling that all the dynomat in my car causes me to hear the general wind noise more clearly

It also seems like the noise increased when I installed the LED mirror shells which do not fit perfectly over the mirrors and could be causing some turbulence.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:36 PM
dmpesso

wat is this housecor fix and how can i get it and install it?

Old 02-21-2007, 03:00 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by dmpesso
ummm post 3
Old 02-21-2007, 03:03 PM

housecor's fix is the one he posted up on this link...

and it has many other interesting help.
My car has the same problem, and I'm planning to do the same thing soon. The same thing happened to my uncle's car few years ago, and he brought it to the dealership to get it fixed, but received the same result.

I would try housecor's fix. Looks like it should do it, unless you might have leaking holes somewhere else.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:03 PM
No More Maxipad

i did the housecor thing for the back and front and it helped a bit thanks but i was still getting wind noise so i added some weather strip around the door and seem to help out too.

so far it's better than before...before i fixed it while sitting in the back i can feel the wind coming from the back windows kinda felt like a/c on or something lol
Old 02-21-2007, 03:18 PM
is invisible

Originally Posted by soonerfan
ummm post 3
can you do it for him?
Old 02-21-2007, 03:24 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by CoolMax
can you do it for him?
i guess thats what he wants.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by lowincash
i did the housecor thing for the back and front and it helped a bit thanks but i was still getting wind noise so i added some weather strip around the door and seem to help out too.

so far it's better than before...before i fixed it while sitting in the back i can feel the wind coming from the back windows kinda felt like a/c on or something lol
This is exactly what I did.

Only difference is I put the additional weather tape over that top corner and along the side of the door that meets the B-Pillar. The results are really good.

Basically for some reason the maxima has a door seal on the body side of the door and then a seal that goes around the bottom half of the door and the upper half is supposed to be sealed by the funky setup of the upper body weather seal. Not a good idea imo.

By completing the entire door with the aftermarket weather tape, the wind noise i constantly heard from the top of the front door and the top corner of the b pillar is reduced.

Another thing I did to reduce wind noise was to pop the A-pillars and apply open cell foam tape to the inside of the plastic trim and on the body side where you already have the seal between the windshield and the A-Pillar.

As for the rear doors, Housecor's fix works like a charm. The one thing you need to be very careful is to use the right foam tape. At home depot and lowes they carry a lot of foam tape and most of them are closed cell foam. These do not absorb wind noise. You need to get the Low Density Open Cell Foam tape as on Housecor's website. Also, carefully read the TSB on the owensfamily website for the exact application of the foam tape.

I spent the 3 day weekend doing quite a good amount of sound deadening on my maxima and I am simply amazed at what a difference 6 cans of underbody rubberized spray and 4 square feet of carpet padding can do.

Cheers!
Old 02-22-2007, 01:37 PM
dmpesso

Is that black stuff around your door seriously how it looks with the weather stripping?

Old 02-22-2007, 01:45 PM

if you have a friend with an acura or lexus open any door on them.

you will see a second rubber seal going all around the edge of the door frame. On the maxima for some reason we do not have the outer seal. Nissan chose some funky design to seal the doors.

Yeah it may look a little tacky but trust me you will love it when you're doing 75 on the highway and you hear probably 40% of the noise you heard before.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:07 PM
dmpesso

thanks

thanks man, but one question if im still under warranty under my 02 gle max, is weatherstripping covered? is it covered under ANY warranty, i have the certified preowned wrap, i dont see how it cud be covered but i heard it is. if not is that method that that guy had listed even easy for a REAL NOOB. thanks man.

Originally Posted by kukx30de
if you have a friend with an acura or lexus open any door on them.

you will see a second rubber seal going all around the edge of the door frame. On the maxima for some reason we do not have the outer seal. Nissan chose some funky design to seal the doors.

Yeah it may look a little tacky but trust me you will love it when you're doing 75 on the highway and you hear probably 40% of the noise you heard before.

Old 02-22-2007, 02:09 PM
02Auto-6spd

maybe you have the sunroof wind noise problem.

http://www.innerbean.com/housecor/su...noise_fix.html

Old 02-22-2007, 02:15 PM
dmpesso

na i can hear it from the rear
Originally Posted by 02Auto-6spd
maybe you have the sunroof wind noise problem.

http://www.innerbean.com/housecor/su...noise_fix.html

Old 02-22-2007, 03:39 PM
No More Maxipad

Is that black stuff around your door seriously how it looks with the weather stripping?
when i put them on it was in a straight line but once i close the door it just gets all out of shape lol i might redo it and make it go all the way around the doors. but they do help reduce wind noise
Old 02-22-2007, 04:14 PM

when i put them on it was in a straight line but once i close the door it just gets all out of shape lol i might redo it and make it go all the way around the doors. but they do help reduce wind noise
ditto. it does help

What I would suggest is this:
- Goto your dealer and since you are in warranty get the rear window run rubber TSB done. If you need a copy of this TSB, look at the following link: http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/tsb/ you will see the TSB listed for wind noise.
- Check the mounting of your sunroof as per Housecor's directions, this is another place where issues are noticed.
- Another place you may want to check out is your trunk. Since the Maxima's trunk is not completely finished i.e. the trunk door is only bare metal, it becomes a cause for noise to come into the car. You may want to get your trunk done with dynamat or something equivalent.
- Finally get the additional weatherstripping from home depot and apply it on the door such that it sits flush with the door seal on the car body side. This will help seal up the doors even more and reduce wind noise.

I did the above with some additional "el cheapo" treatment to the doors and it has made a good amount of difference to the car.

Hope you get this resolved. Having been through this it was highly annoying to have so much wind noise from the maxima compared to my 97 Accord.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:55 PM

What I would suggest is this:
- Goto your dealer and since you are in warranty get the rear window run rubber TSB done. If you need a copy of this TSB, look at the following link: http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/tsb/ you will see the TSB listed for wind noise.
Being covered under warranty has nothing to do with TSB fixes. TSBs are not recalls or warranty repairs but are sort of like the Nissan tech FAQs for commonly occurring problems. Certain dealerships will do it under warranty (or not) as a nice gesture, but they are not required to.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
Being covered under warranty has nothing to do with TSB fixes. TSBs are not recalls or warranty repairs but are sort of like the Nissan tech FAQs for commonly occurring problems. Certain dealerships will do it under warranty (or not) as a nice gesture, but they are not required to.
Thanks.... I did'nt know that.

In my 6 yrs of owning a BMW as long as the car was in warranty and a TSB existed for a certain problem the item was covered under warranty and the TSB applied.

imo it would really suck if a company like Nissan releases the TSB for an issue and a dealer does not honor it to do a fix on your car while it is under warranty. If that is really true.. next time I have $30K i would buy a CPO bmw rather than a brand new Nissan. That is hypothetical though!!

Thanks for the insight into Nissan here.

peace!!
Old 03-07-2007, 01:21 PM

the only thing i'm having a problem understanding is how does the oem seal go back in. isn't it glued in? i know on my old car (mountaineer)it was glued and i had to glue it back when it fell off.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:09 PM

I am going to do the housecor thing this weekend... I get BAD windnoise. I'm also installing Weathertech window visors, those should help as well.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by rmd0311
I am going to do the housecor thing this weekend... I get BAD windnoise. I'm also installing Weathertech window visors, those should help as well.
Please let me know if you get any difference with the Weathertech Visors.

I'm saving up for them, if you find a real difference I'll buy them.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:03 PM

Please let me know if you get any difference with the Weathertech Visors.

I'm saving up for them, if you find a real difference I'll buy them.
Sure thing... I plan on doing this on Sat morning. I take a long drive that night. So I will keep you posted.

UPDATE Sunday 3/11
Well., I put the Weathertechs on Sat morning. Took them off and back in the box a few minutes ago. I had more noise with them on then with without. Not worth the money at all. I will be doing the housecor mod next. I hated the fitting of the weathertechs... No matter, they will be returned this week. 24 bucks of shipping DOWN THE DRAIN.