5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

New CV Axles still slightly clunk

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 11:40 PM
wat

New CV Axles still slightly clunk

Well this afternoon right after class i changed out both axles, it only took around 3 hours (first time not bad i guess) well i was dead tired after doing this. So ate a sandwich and passed out on the couch and forgot to post my Q on here. I did this at a friends house, then drove it home, i noticed a very very slight clunk when turning hard left . Is this normal or did i do something wrong ? I cant remember if my car did the same little clunk noise when turning hard before the axles went bad.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:14 AM

clunk could have already been there but since now you are testing your work harder it might actually clank. Also perhaps now you are more willing to listen to noises. In that case it would probably be a strut bearing/mount.
Now what i also suspect is you could have not tightened the axle nut all the way. That would be cheapest thing to try. Make sure the threads are clean loosn it a bit and then tighten it again.
And also there are suspension stoppers on our cars. They're on top of the ball joint. It's a rod on theknuckle that tuches this metal thing that looks like this ( that sits on the control arm. They only make contact when fully turned. So get some bearing grease and apply some on both. Just like that. They do make noise but mostly in parking lots when turned all the way
Old 02-27-2007, 11:15 AM
wat

ah ok, i think its the suspension stoppers then
Old 02-27-2007, 11:24 AM
Need A Light?

do suspension stoppers make noise without fully locking the wheel? i get this clunk noise everytime i turn left during 5 mph or below...but the steering wheel doesn't have to be fully locked left...
Old 02-27-2007, 12:27 PM

Only way they make noise is when these limiters hit the control arm at the end of the steering travel.

From the factory the end of these limiters have plastic caps threaded on to reduce the thunk. With time these caps break off and the noise becomes noticeable.

Steven, your issue sounds like a strut top bearing in need of replacement.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:43 PM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by NewLoveI30
Only way they make noise is when these limiters hit the control arm at the end of the steering travel.

From the factory the end of these limiters have plastic caps threaded on to reduce the thunk. With time these caps break off and the noise becomes noticeable.

Steven, your issue sounds like a strut top bearing in need of replacement.
yeah i was thinking the top hat bearing too...but damn, i seriously don't wanna work on stock springs...its like the biggest PITA to compress those super duper long stock springs

is there a way to confirm for sure its my strut top hat bearing? i loosened the nut that holds it on top...then cleaned it with some brake cleaner...re torqued it with a torque wrench to the correct spec...still makes the noise
Old 02-27-2007, 03:35 PM

spray some penetrating fluid on top of the strut mount nut. while still in the car.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:23 PM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by NisTech
spray some penetrating fluid on top of the strut mount nut. while still in the car.
what do you recommend? i have both pb blaster and wd40
Old 03-06-2007, 06:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Was the axles hard to change?

Originally Posted by chopstix2nrz
Well this afternoon right after class i changed out both axles, it only took around 3 hours (first time not bad i guess) well i was dead tired after doing this. So ate a sandwich and passed out on the couch and forgot to post my Q on here. I did this at a friends house, then drove it home, i noticed a very very slight clunk when turning hard left . Is this normal or did i do something wrong ? I cant remember if my car did the same little clunk noise when turning hard before the axles went bad.