5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

"Marbles in a can" pinging noise under deceleration

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 01:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

"Marbles in a can" pinging noise under deceleration

I actually just noticed this 2 days ago. When Im at low speeds and usually in 1st or 2nd gear and just let go of the gas I hear this "marbles in a can" pinging noise. Under acceleration I can hear the noise also but not as much. When I shift higher the noise goes away. Any idea what this is?

Could it be the heatshield on the cat. converter? Mileage is 53k and car has no other problems. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Rahul
Old 03-01-2007, 01:41 PM

Look under your car and see if there is a can under your car, the can might have marbles in it.

If there is, remove the can and that should solve your problem.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:45 PM

if that was sarcasm (which it most likely sounds like) then please take it elsewhere
Old 03-01-2007, 01:48 PM

No, I think this pointless thread is a perfect place for it...
Old 03-01-2007, 01:51 PM
dot dot dot ...

Do you have a catch can?
Old 03-01-2007, 01:53 PM

oh yea...its pointless because Im actually having a problem with my car and Im looking for an answer? Stop spamming my thread with your crap man.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:54 PM

i hope you use 93 octane. . .
Old 03-01-2007, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by SLVRMAXX
oh yea...its pointless because Im actually having a problem with my car and Im looking for an answer? Stop spamming my thread with your crap man.

No it is pointless because there are countless threads on here about this SAME EXACT problem....
Old 03-01-2007, 01:57 PM

ofcourse..93 all the time. I know its not the tranny. I hope the timing chain is not rattling...those dont normally go bad
Old 03-01-2007, 02:04 PM

...those dont normally go bad
i disagree...whats normally? theres a TSB on time chain clatter or w/e,.. try to dig it up and see if its your problem
Old 03-01-2007, 04:41 PM

just drove the car again...problem got noticeably worse
Old 03-01-2007, 04:51 PM
dot dot dot ...

Add a catch can, change to colder plugs

If it is indeed spark knock and not some loose items dangling around, try the above then post back.

Another thing, if it is spark knock,

Old 03-01-2007, 07:31 PM
96SEsleepa

my mechanic said its rod knock. sounds like something is knockin inside the motor. been drivin the car like that for the last 4 months, and nuthins happenned yet.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:40 PM
dot dot dot ...

Ok nice thread jack If it is indeed rod knock you =
Old 03-01-2007, 08:51 PM
platinum03SE

uhm its def. not rod knock. hey silvermax i have the same problem. ive came to the conclusion that it is something in the exhaust. it only happens to me when my car is fully warmed up. i can make the rocks in a can noise by just reving my car up to maybe 1500rpm to 2000rpm. when its cold and i give it a little rev i get no noise. im thinking something in the exhaust since its stock.

edit: i just noticed my car is like a twin to yours. im just at 51k thou lol

Old 03-01-2007, 09:07 PM

allot of maximas 3.5 have this problems
Old 03-01-2007, 09:27 PM

Whoa, I have the exact same problem, in cold weather it doesn't do it until my car is fully warmed up. I rev to about 1500-2000 rpms and when I let off it starts rattling. I think that it may just be the Pre-Cat rattling though. I have had this problem for a while and like you guys, my car has around
50-60k miles. My car still runs fine and everything, and BTW I have an aftermarket exhaust and it still does it. But I think maybe this is just a little petty problem that most Maxima owners have, but I am not for sure.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:31 AM

my old 01 prelude had a similiar noise and it was the cat converter. it was replaced by honda for free. But the only difference was when I revved at idle I could hear it with that car....when I rev this one I get no noise
Old 03-02-2007, 06:22 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

hey rahul your not selling the car no more...we met at erskine back in oct. i had a red 5thgen
Old 03-02-2007, 06:26 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Imax00
hey rahul your not selling the car no more...we met at erskine back in oct. i had a red 5thgen
404 Error, relavance to thread not found.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
404 Error, relavance to thread not found.
Yep, very relevant also to THIS thread also.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:28 AM
Hi, I drive a Maxima.

Originally Posted by upstatemax
No, I think this pointless thread is a perfect place for it...
why be a ****? if you don't have a useful answer, GTFO.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:30 AM
Hi, I drive a Maxima.

I'm not sure about max's, but in honda's it's very common for the heatshield on the cat to come loose and cause this same problem.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:31 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Imax00
Yep, very relevant also to THIS thread also.
Car's wacked, he tries to sell, no noe bites, he's interested in fixing

Originally Posted by spark plugs.
I'm not sure about max's, but in honda's it's very common for the heatshield on the cat to come loose and cause this same problem.
In our case, the AFR becomes lean, fries the cat, and creates it to break apart, causing said noise.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:32 AM
platinum03SE

Originally Posted by pimpin02max
Whoa, I have the exact same problem, in cold weather it doesn't do it until my car is fully warmed up. I rev to about 1500-2000 rpms and when I let off it starts rattling. I think that it may just be the Pre-Cat rattling though. I have had this problem for a while and like you guys, my car has around
50-60k miles. My car still runs fine and everything, and BTW I have an aftermarket exhaust and it still does it. But I think maybe this is just a little petty problem that most Maxima owners have, but I am not for sure.

ya but its coming from the ypipe area. your mod list doesnt have one. im pretty sure thats where its coming from. im about to take a hammer and start hitting the heat shields and whatnot.

Old 03-02-2007, 06:33 AM
platinum03SE

In our case, the AFR becomes lean, fries the cat, and creates it to break apart, causing said noise.

so YOUR saying its the cats rattling?

Old 03-02-2007, 06:33 AM

i guess well have to see.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:37 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by platinum03SE
so YOU'RE saying its the cats rattling?
Not on my car, so I cannot say for sure.

But since the OP hasn't provided a detailed description, I'm shooting in the dark.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:51 AM
platinum03SE

damn i really want to know if a ypipe or a set of headers and yipe will fix it because that **** really pisses me off.

Old 03-02-2007, 06:56 AM

No it is pointless because there are countless threads on here about this SAME EXACT problem....

So instead of being a douchebag.. which obviously you are..why don't you help the guy out?
Old 03-02-2007, 06:57 AM

uhm its def. not rod knock. hey silvermax i have the same problem. ive came to the conclusion that it is something in the exhaust. it only happens to me when my car is fully warmed up. i can make the rocks in a can noise by just reving my car up to maybe 1500rpm to 2000rpm. when its cold and i give it a little rev i get no noise. im thinking something in the exhaust since its stock.

edit: i just noticed my car is like a twin to yours. im just at 51k thou lol
I know I have a lot of street cred around here with this being my first post but it I agree with the above quote... something in the exhaust, possibly the Cat. Does it smell funny like anything you would expect with a bad cat?
Old 03-02-2007, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by spark plugs.
why be a ****? if you don't have a useful answer, GTFO.

I have plenty of answers for him, but he needs to search and do some common problem solving like even finding out where the sound is even comming from before ANYONE can really help him.

People are way to lazy of this board, "ohhh I heard a sound, I will go post about it and expect answers to be feed to me without any work on my part"...

The 5th gen forum is full of repost because of people like the OP who don't do anything for themselves.

Now his little friends from NYCMaximas can come in and "call me out"...
Old 03-02-2007, 07:09 AM
platinum03SE

Originally Posted by criddle20
I know I have a lot of street cred around here with this being my first post but it I agree with the above quote... something in the exhaust, possibly the Cat. Does it smell funny like anything you would expect with a bad cat?
i DONT think its a cat also. for a cat to be failing at 50k would shock me for a STOCK vehicle. if the cat were bad there would be some sort of rank smell. also, if there were a bad cat, it would have definitely effected the performance of my car.

edit: honestly get the **** of if your going to be a douch bag.

Old 03-02-2007, 07:42 AM

i DONT think its a cat also. for a cat to be failing at 50k would shock me for a STOCK vehicle. if the cat were bad there would be some sort of rank smell. also, if there were a bad cat, it would have definitely effected the performance of my car.

edit: honestly get the **** of if your going to be a douch bag.
Just because the cat is rattling doesnt mean performance will be effected and it doesn't have to produce a bad smell, that is just a sign of a bad Cat. If you melted it by using regular unleaded or something like that you would notice a difference in performance, but not if some of the guts of the cat are just rattling. A cat CAN go out at anytime from just about anything or for no reason at all so the fact that there are just 53k miles on the car doesn't really matter. Just my opinion, if you don't agree or whatever that's fine. And I really hope you aren't calling me a dooshbag, I'm just trying to help out. I had a cat go out on an 04 Jetta with 21k miles for no reason at all... ran the recommended premium unleaded and everything. No bad smell, just rattling in the exhaust when accelerating or decelerating (Downshifting). Just giving my 2 cents from experience.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:03 AM
platinum03SE

Just because the cat is rattling doesnt mean performance will be effected and it doesn't have to produce a bad smell, that is just a sign of a bad Cat. If you melted it by using regular unleaded or something like that you would notice a difference in performance, but not if some of the guts of the cat are just rattling. A cat CAN go out at anytime from just about anything or for no reason at all so the fact that there are just 53k miles on the car doesn't really matter. Just my opinion, if you don't agree or whatever that's fine. And I really hope you aren't calling me a dooshbag, I'm just trying to help out. I had a cat go out on an 04 Jetta with 21k miles for no reason at all... ran the recommended premium unleaded and everything. No bad smell, just rattling in the exhaust when accelerating or decelerating (Downshifting). Just giving my 2 cents from experience.

no no your not the douch bag lol

i duno im gonna take the cats off soon and look.

Old 03-02-2007, 09:22 AM
dot dot dot ...

The 2 of you posting back and forth is like Ray Charles leading Stevie wonder into an intersection.

Just because the cat is rattling doesnt mean performance will be effected and it doesn't have to produce a bad smell, that is just a sign of a bad Cat.
A bad cat will hurt performance. Especially fro an 03 where the cats are integrated into the exhaust manifold They affect it as it is in stock functioning form. Proof of this is aftermarket headers.

If you melted it by using regular unleaded
Explain to me how in gods good name you can do that by using regular unleaded?

something like that you would notice a difference in performance, but not if some of the guts of the cat are just rattling.
Again, refer to my first sentence in this post.

A cat CAN go out at anytime from just about anything or for no reason at all so the fact that there are just 53k miles on the car doesn't really matter.
True in a small %. What's not true is the any reason at all part. A cat doesn't just go wrong, it is prompted from something else. Read this link for more information. http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...4&postcount=13

Just my opinion, if you don't agree or whatever that's fine. And I really hope you aren't calling me a dooshbag, I'm just trying to help out
. You're not helping here since 99.98 % of the information you posted is incorrect.

I had a cat go out on an 04 Jetta with 21k miles for no reason at all
Ok, this is Maxima.org.

Prepare to be shocked because only 50% of what you said is correct, and you're incorrect on the shocked portion. But you're correct in that a bad cat will affect performance
Old 03-02-2007, 09:27 AM

Car's wacked, he tries to sell, no noe bites, he's interested in fixing

wacked? This problem just happened few days ago. I had to sell for person reasons and now the situation changed and I get to keep it. I have one of the best maintained 5th gens...this problem just happened outta the blue.

Update: seems like the noise died down a little but Im still taking it to get checked out tomorrow. I hope its not the timing chain
Old 03-02-2007, 09:31 AM

go talk to the many people who make threads on suspension related issues and then get back to me. okthanksbye

few more details on the problem:

-NO smell
-NO noise when revving at idle
-car still performs the same
-I cant think of a better term than "marbles in a bag" to describe the problem
-Looks like its an on/off problem.

I'll let you guys know what the dealer says tomorrow. Thanks to those who gave productive advice
Old 03-02-2007, 09:32 AM
dot dot dot ...

It would be nice if you were more familiar with your 'sounds' recognition. Exhaust rattle/spark knock/ping /rod knock/ chain rattle are all pretty distinctive.

Anyhow, good luck in your repair venture.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:17 AM
Drug Money

Originally Posted by SLVRMAXX
go talk to the many people who make threads on suspension related issues and then get back to me. okthanksbye

few more details on the problem:

-NO smell
-NO noise when revving at idle
-car still performs the same
-I cant think of a better term than "marbles in a bag" to describe the problem
-Looks like its an on/off problem.

I'll let you guys know what the dealer says tomorrow. Thanks to those who gave productive advice
man so many laaazy newbies here...

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....highlight=bees
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....highlight=ping
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....light=knocking

use the search

Quick Reply: "Marbles in a can" pinging noise under deceleration