5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Has anybody tried removing the navigation unit on an 02 or 03 Maxima?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 09:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Has anybody tried removing the navigation unit on an 02 or 03 Maxima?

I am trying to install an Ipod interface that is plug and play compatible with my 02 Maxima GLE with Navigation. (http://usaspec.com/ipod.html , Model PA11 – NIS) I need to access the Navigation and tape deck harnesses. I found directions on how to access the OEM Bose Stereo without navigation, but I have been unable to find directions on how to do this for a car with OEM navigation. Does anybody know where the clips for the trim around the navigation unit are? Has anybody removed one before? I am also thinking about adding a line output converter ( http://www.mobileaudiocontrol.com/pr...&d_Id=&l1=&l2= ), so I can bypass the Bose amp and install aftermarket AMPS and Speakers. Can anybody point me in the right direction? If I can get the trim removed around the Navigation and tape deck, then I will be able to figure out the rest on my own. I could not find this info in the Audio section of the forums, and nothing in a google search either. I am worried about damaging the trim, if I force it and don't find the clips.

Old 03-02-2007, 04:57 AM
Suspension Yoda

Pretty much the same concept. Get your fingers in the vents and pull. If the navi trim is anything like the GXE trim, there are no clips anywhere except the vent.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
Pretty much the same concept. Get your fingers in the vents and pull. If the navi trim is anything like the GXE trim, there are no clips anywhere except the vent.
+1

JUST PULL it carefully but firmly. IT WILL come out eventually.
Did it on my cousin's car which has Navi.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:10 AM
is invisible

http://forums.maxima.org/forumdispla...aysprune=&f=25
Old 03-02-2007, 03:39 PM

I got it out! Thank you all for your responses. It was helpful. I found that it's best to start pulling from the bottom sides of the trim around the bottom corners of the NAV unit, then work your way up along the trim to the sides of the nav unit. Keep moving up on both sides at the same time until it snaps out. I had no luck pulling from the vents because my fingers are too big. If you start at the bottom and work your way up, it will eventually pop out. It really does feel like you are going to break something and when the metal clips pop, it sounds like you broke something. It came off with no damage, and I'm ready to move on. Looking at wiring diagrams now. The ipod/AUX interface is easy because it's plug and play, but the Line output converter is going to be tedious to wire. I am going to completely bypass the crappy bose amp to go with a subwoofer amp and four channel amp and replace all the speakers(including subwoofer) with some quality components.